What's new

Straight Switching.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I switch with straight razors and sometimes with safety razors
sometimes I'll lefty a safety just for practice

I switch hands from day one (but never had and still don't with DE), and it was honestly way easier than anticipated.

Absolutely the above. I find being able to use all the different grips with both hands always leaves me with options that allow me to most easily get to any "difficult" spot with an optimal angle and a comfortable arm/hand position.

Switched from the very first shave. Awkward at first, but straight shaving was awkward even with my dominant hand.
Over time, I feel like I actually did better with my left hand because I had never used it to shave before, so it didn't have any bad habits to unlearn.

First time SR shave tonight. I switched hands for the big areas but used my dominant hand for areas I thought were a bit tricky. I'm sure as I get more experience I'll refine my technique but I didn't think it was too terrible.

I can do one hand or both hands with a straight. Never tried both hands with a DE never saw the need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shave exclusively with a SR and use both hands. I guess I never really thought about it. Just did what felt right to me. That would be my advice, don't worry about using both hands if it does not feel natural. Do whatever works for you!

Dominant hand only!
I'd like to get non dominant up to speed for shave!
my brain doesn't do well with the cross over
i'm slowly trying to teach left hand. making left had do other tasks as often as possible

I have been using both hands for straight razor shaving since day one. It can be awkward at first but then muscle memory kicks in. It's to the point now that sometimes my non-dominant hand seems to give a better shave from what I assume is less pressure and more care. One of my friends had a hard time at first so he would only do large areas like his cheek with his non-dominant hand at first until he was comfortable. As alway though, do what feels right. For me though I was actually almost unable to shave my whole face with a straight razor in one hand. I never switch with a DE, have never even thought about it.

Last edited:
I switch hands, the whole shave was difficuktvubitially so I percivered and after about 3 shaves I was competent. I only shave right handed with my DE though. I couldn’t do a right hand only straight shave now, I wouldn’t feel confident in some areas and would have to learn the technique again.

WTG- left hand left side/right hand right side
ATG-left hand right side/right hand left side
DE and straights.

What’s cool about switching is you have a layer of lather against the face to begin the stroke.

Wa huh? I don’t understand this at all. Or how it relates to changing hands.

if you mean you do one blade side on a series of strokes, don’t rinse the blade and switch the blade around so that the lather from the first series of passes/strokes is now against your face.... well, I could do the same with my dominate hand only approach if I don’t rinse the blade.

If you meant something else, I’d love to hear it.

Wa huh? I don’t understand this at all. Or how it relates to changing hands.

if you mean you do one blade side on a series of strokes, don’t rinse the blade and switch the blade around so that the lather from the first series of passes/strokes is now against your face.... well, I could do the same with my dominate hand only approach if I don’t rinse the blade.

If you meant something else, I’d love to hear it.

I’m not making a big deal of it. Just something that I noticed when I switched hands.

Prior to growing my beard, I shaved with a straight razor. I used both hands because I could not get the hang of using just one hand. I'm not a barber, but those who are, I believe are taught to shave using the same hand. Not sure why it's important to master that skill.

Prior to growing my beard, I shaved with a straight razor. I used both hands because I could not get the hang of using just one hand. I'm not a barber, but those who are, I believe are taught to shave using the same hand. Not sure why it's important to master that skill.

I you are shaving someone else's face there is no reason to switch hands. Barbers also use a lot of skin stretching so that both hands are actively involved according to the video's of Italian barbers I have watched.

A barber told me they dont switch hands in order to train the other hand to feel and stretch the skin, is important for them because they are not shaving a familiar face (unless is a regular customer) so they look for imperfections, bumps, scars etc on your skin and stretch so the stroke never changes on the shaving hand and end up with a smooth, even shave all the way around.

I have been using both hands for straight razor shaving since day one. It can be awkward at first but then muscle memory kicks in. It's to the point now that sometimes my non-dominant hand seems to give a better shave from what I assume is less pressure and more care

Yep, same here. Notice the same thing with non-dominant hand.

DE/SE is one hand only.

Top Bottom