What's new

My Grande Journey

Short Comb and Karve D. I like the handling and feel if the Karve. Edge Karve on the beard, head shave a toss up. BIC (1).
proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm not surprised they're close in performance. With weight added to the common bar handle how close is the weight between them?

I'm not surprised they're close in performance. With weight added to the common bar handle how close is the weight between them?
Still not close , 72g SC, 97g Karve, 21g difference is in the handle. The Karve handle unfortunately doesn't fit the SC snugly.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Still not close , 72g SC, 97g Karve, 21g difference is in the handle. The Karve handle unfortunately doesn't fit the SC snugly.

Yeah I thought there would be a considerable difference.

I've been wondering why razor makers that offer interchangeable bases only make the bases with varying gaps. It would be just as easy I'd think to keep gap a constant and vary blade exposure slightly from negative to positive. Five bases all with the same gap but, for example, bases #1 and #2 having, respectively, .004" and .002" negative exposure. Base #3 neutral exposure, while bases #4 have .002" positive exposure and #5 .004" positive exposure, with maybe an option of .006" for those who like moar! lol

I'll take mine with an .010" 'G' (gap) and .004" '+X' (exposure) base, please. Then maybe step up to a .006" '+X' base. :)

That could be done just by varying the dimensions of the SB/OC. Basic geometry would stay the same and variable blade gaps could still be implemented. Its more work, R&D and machine time, but it would also be the only such design on the market.

I like that idea and its now mine lol, but, any razor designers/makers feel free to contact me in regard to royalties lol.

Yeah I thought there would be a considerable difference.

I've been wondering why razor makers that offer interchangeable bases only make the bases with varying gaps. It would be just as easy I'd think to keep gap a constant and vary blade exposure slightly from negative to positive. Five bases all with the same gap but, for example, bases #1 and #2 having, respectively, .004" and .002" negative exposure. Base #3 neutral exposure, while bases #4 have .002" positive exposure and #5 .004" positive exposure, with maybe an option of .006" for those who like moar! lol

I'll take mine with an .010" 'G' (gap) and .004" '+X' (exposure) base, please. Then maybe step up to a .006" '+X' base. :)

That could be done just by varying the dimensions of the SB/OC. Basic geometry would stay the same and variable blade gaps could still be implemented. Its more work, R&D and machine time, but it would also be the only such design on the market.

I like that idea and its now mine lol, but, any razor designers/makers feel free to contact me in regard to royalties lol.
Genius idea. You should suggest it to razorock - type of thing they might do.

I bought the Spitfire etc caps from Shapways. On the R41 these increase blade exposure considerably

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I bought the Spitfire etc caps from Shapways. On the R41 these increase blade exposure considerably

Tell me more about this, please. I read the website, but what else do I need to know. I almost ordered one, but, with shipping, they're not cheap.

Better than the 2011 R41? What about comparison with their other cap models?

Happy shaves,

Jim

No - not better than the 2011 in my opinion but I don't have my 2011 any more so have never compared side by side. I have all three caps. The spitfire is the one that converts the 2013 to shave similarly to the 2011. What I have had more fun with is swapping caps over with solid bar base plates. I haven't done it for a while. I will have a play and journal it maybe.
The plastic is quite soft and I would be worried about investing a lot of money. Easy to cross thread them. Better to buy a couple to save on postageif you are going to.

I am hoping they will get around to producing them in metal. Then they would be worth the postage.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

I would hope razor designers and engineers are smarter than I am. I have no idea why no one seems to have thought of it. I've been thinking about it for a while.

The R41 has too much blade exposure for the support the baseplate offers as it is for me. If it had half the exposure it would be twice as smooth and still efficient. Fatips have the same amount of exposure with far greater baseplate support.

R41-FATIP2.jpg

In my mind there is another idea but don't know how to accomplish it . I would like to make an adapter to use Injector blades in Gem razors That would expand the blade options for the SE users.

In my mind there is another idea but don't know how to accomplish it . I would like to make an adapter to use Injector blades in Gem razors That would expand the blade options for the SE users.
Many of us have successfully used injector blades in Gem razors

Top Bottom