What's new

My Grande Journey

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I tried the GEM or E-R just once. Can't say it was a bad shave or anything like that but I wasn't inclined to try it again anytime soon.

Now that I'm apparently only using the straight razor (although not married to that platform) I don't know what to do with any of my safety razors, particularly those that weren't getting any use anyway.

2-13-19.RedI.Injun.Boker.Sharp.Kit.GD.640.JPG

Some of my safety razors will be keepers. I know I like - for instance, my Schick Type E-2 - some of them very much, and can get a good shave with them. At this point I can still get a closer and smoother safety razor shave. Problem is I can't get with any safety razor a shave as comfortable as my straight razor shaves.

No, I'm not saying you should move to the straight razor particularly if your shaves are comfortable and suit you. It may be better for me and not for you.

Glad to hear that others (Joel in this case) are finding Grooming Dept Lusso based soaps to their liking. I'd suggest what was suggested to me about the Lusso soap. Use it every day for a week! It will be hard to use anything else after that.

I'm about equally pleased with the performance of the GD Donkey base and the GD duck base. I'm talking here Mandarin Bay and Pekin.

There are several razors in my mind which might go on the market to fund a particularly expensive straight razor I have design on, but I'm not in any hurry to decide.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Glad to hear that others (Joel in this case) are finding Grooming Dept Lusso based soaps to their liking. I'd suggest what was suggested to me about the Lusso soap. Use it every day for a week! It will be hard to use anything else after that.

I woke up this morning thinking about the Lusso soap so as soon as I woke my computer up I checked the site. Sold out! No surprise there.

Eventually my mood will align with remaining stock lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
GD soaps won't be back in stock for quite awhile now. There was an issue with the newest soap release, so Mo is fixing that. In addition, he is coming out with after shaves for his current scents and has said he won't make more soap until those are done. My best guess would be another soap drop in a month or so.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hard to maintain the correct angle on the neck and chin since I have to hold the razor upside down for those areas when going ATG.

Those areas can be tricky, it just takes time to get it right. I'm not a fan of a lot of blade exposure on my chin or above my lip, it doesn't matter on my cheeks and neck though. The MMOC and MMCP are more than what I want use on the chin, if my angle is off, I will know quickly. The G bar is not quite efficient enough but with a little work, it will get it done comfortably and I can apply some pressure. The Bullet tip is probably on par with my ATT SE1, but I don't have one to compare at the moment.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
With the MMOC I find the amount of pressure used, or lack thereof lol, on my chin the better. The angle doesnt matter to me so much because its so predictable, but too much pressure would lead to flat spots that are meant to be rounded lol.

First shave with Timeless Bronze OC plate. Serious exposure and weight makes it far more challenging than the SS 95 but it delivers a marvelous shave (exercising considerable caution). Next time I'll see how a somewhat lighter and better balanced handle works for my head shave. PolSilver (2).
proxy.php

IMG_20190228_091045-01.jpeg
IMG_20190228_091224.jpg
Ending the month with a most successful experiment. I've never been warm to the trade-off in comfort and discipline the Ikon Tech demands as the price of its efficiency so it rarely gets used. I tried a whole bunch of caps until I found one on a cheap travel razor that perfectly tames the Ikon without taking too much away in terms of efficiency. The standard cap will now be set aside in favor of this one.
[

The strange bedfellows experiment, one razor with solid bottom support (Timeless SS 95) one hanging out there like a big salami (1931 silver Wardonia). The rigid Timeless takes fewer strokes, but the Wardonia is both ridiculously more comfortable and more effective ATG on my head than many rigid designs. If I had to keep one it would be the Wardonia. Go figure.
proxy.php

View attachment 957492 View attachment 957493 Ending the month with a most successful experiment. I've never been warm to the trade-off in comfort and discipline the Ikon Tech demands as the price of its efficiency so it rarely gets used. I tried a whole bunch of caps until I found one on a cheap travel razor that perfectly tames the Ikon without taking too much away in terms of efficiency. The standard cap will now be set aside in favor of this one.
[
Is this because you are buffing? The tech is the one aggressive razor I don't have a problem with. I was going to try it with your buffing technique because it rides the cap so well.

Is this because you are buffing? The tech is the one aggressive razor I don't have a problem with. I was going to try it with your buffing technique because it rides the cap so well.
I'm not a buffer generally speaking. The Tech only is problematic going ATG on my coarsest head stubble.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You left out the most important part when you quoted. Here it is again in case you skimmed over it ;-)

Left out intentionally but not ignored.

Baby steps... In my advanced age I need to approach things slowly and with caution lol.

I have nothing against a Wardonia, how could I, I've never used one. I highly suspect it wouldnt work ATG for me, but I've been surprised before.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
View attachment 957492 View attachment 957493 Ending the month with a most successful experiment. I've never been warm to the trade-off in comfort and discipline the Ikon Tech demands as the price of its efficiency so it rarely gets used. I tried a whole bunch of caps until I found one on a cheap travel razor that perfectly tames the Ikon without taking too much away in terms of efficiency. The standard cap will now be set aside in favor of this one.
[

What cap exactly?

In what way is the Tech tamed? How did the cap tame it? What happened to tame it?

iKon.Tech.RoseGoldHandle.7-15-18.640.JPG

I can't say I tamed my iKon Tech entirely nor can I say I learned it perfectly well or completely, but it's for me a better razor with a lighter handle than iKon puts on it. Here it is with the beautiful and functional rose-gold R41 handle.

Happy shaves,

Jim

What cap exactly?

In what way is the Tech tamed? How did the cap tame it? What happened to tame it?

View attachment 958545

I can't say I tamed my iKon Tech entirely nor can I say I learned it perfectly well or completely, but it's for me a better razor with a lighter handle than iKon puts on it. Here it is with the beautiful and functional rose-gold R41 handle.

Happy shaves,

Jim
The cap I used is from an unbranded travel razor . It has more of a curve than stock, so it changes angle to something a bit less horizontal, and thereby also reduces exposure somewhat. But it strikes a good balance, it's more comfortable but still extremely efficient.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The cap I used is from an unbranded travel razor . It has more of a curve than stock, so it changes angle to something a bit less horizontal, and thereby also reduces exposure somewhat. But it strikes a good balance, it's more comfortable but still extremely efficient.

Thanks. Was hoping for how to obtain said cap, but alas. Appears you got very lucky (and with a collection like yours and your willingness to experiment with Frankenrazors it's no wonder).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom