What's new

New pocket pistol review. LCP ii

FTE's can happen for a number of reasons. You have already addressed the chamber. There are many other reasons ranging from ammunition to mechanical to a category we can call user error. Ammunition appears to be something you are addressing, but know that no manufacturer produces flawless rounds and therefore can result in FTE's, duds, etc. You may consider any of the following for mechanical: build up on the rear side (contact side) of the extractor, poor extractor geometry from the factory, a burr or other contamination in the extractor relief on the slide (I have had no less than two M&P's with this - never would have found it if i did not take them apart). The last set of issues can be things like riding the slide with your thumb - easy to do with these subs, the "limp wristing" you to which you referred and grip issues.

Good luck.

FTE's can happen for a number of reasons. You have already addressed the chamber. There are many other reasons ranging from ammunition to mechanical to a category we can call user error. Ammunition appears to be something you are addressing, but know that no manufacturer produces flawless rounds and therefore can result in FTE's, duds, etc. You may consider any of the following for mechanical: build up on the rear side (contact side) of the extractor, poor extractor geometry from the factory, a burr or other contamination in the extractor relief on the slide (I have had no less than two M&P's with this - never would have found it if i did not take them apart). The last set of issues can be things like riding the slide with your thumb - easy to do with these subs, the "limp wristing" you to which you referred and grip issues.

Good luck.
Thanks. I did suspect the extractor at first. It doesn’t look chipped or damaged and the spring is really stiff. I didn’t take it apart, but I really sprayed a lot of gun scrubber behind it the last time I cleaned it. It seems to be fine now so that may have had something to do with the failures. I probably should pull the extractor. Good idea.

The target ammunition I used at first was Blazer brass. I use a lot of that with my 9’s. It did seem extremely dirty just looking at the front of the slide as I was shooting. I switched to Winchester white box lately as it’s cheaper at the range and seems cleaner. The Gold dots performed flawlessly. It’s my favorite sd ammo and I should have just tried it first.

Regards

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Thanks. I did suspect the extractor at first. It doesn’t look chipped or damaged and the spring is really stiff. I didn’t take it apart, but I really sprayed a lot of gun scrubber behind it the last time I cleaned it. It seems to be fine now so that may have had something to do with the failures. I probably should pull the extractor. Good idea.

The target ammunition I used at first was Blazer brass. I use a lot of that with my 9’s. It did seem extremely dirty just looking at the front of the slide as I was shooting. I switched to Winchester white box lately as it’s cheaper at the range and seems cleaner. The Gold dots performed flawlessly. It’s my favorite sd ammo and I should have just tried it first.

Regards

Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think you were correct in polishing the chamber. If the finish on the feed ramp can promote carbon build up then it makes sense that the over sprayed finish in the chamber could do the same. 500 rounds thru it with no problems, sounds like you fixed it. no reason to take out the extractor. I would think that is one of the last places that would get really dirty shooting it? That would take a bunch of rounds to do in that little .380 LCP II I would think.

Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That is sage advice. It has relatively universal applicability and operationalizes a complex idea that should be followed more often than not.

Like every rule of thumb there is a corollary: sometimes you don't know it's broke until you take it apart. In a few more words, machines often shows signs of failure before they fail catastrophically. The signs of failure often indicate where to begin investigating.

The utility of the item will determine the degree of investigation required.

Well, the gun is on its way back to Ruger.

I couldn’t take it anymore, I had to clean my gun. I was going to see how long I could go, but I normally clean guns every range trip. Maybe it was bad ju ju.

I went to the range yesterday. Everything was great for the first few mags. Then the failures started. Problem extracting mostly. Some stovepipe failures and even a problem where the trigger didn’t reset even though it chambered a new round. I even tapped the slide before popping out a good round.

I was sick about it so I packed up my toys and went home. I cleaned it up really good and noticed there was a little spring wire poking out from under the rails on the right side. The slide wouldn’t go back on.

I called Ruger and boy are they nice. She said it was the trigger spring and requires manufacturer service. She emailed me a return slip immediately and after telling her my previous issues, she said never to wait to call them again. She guaranteed me they will make it right no matter what.

I felt much better after that. I wonder if the trigger spring was causing some of my issues before? Anyhow, I’ll update when I get it back.

Good for you for keeping after it! Glad to hear that Ruger service is still great. I can confirm that they took care of the two issues I had. Let us know what happens.

OkieStubble

Well, the gun is on its way back to Ruger.

I couldn’t take it anymore, I had to clean my gun. I was going to see how long I could go, but I normally clean guns every range trip. Maybe it was bad ju ju.

I went to the range yesterday. Everything was great for the first few mags. Then the failures started. Problem extracting mostly. Some stovepipe failures and even a problem where the trigger didn’t reset even though it chambered a new round. I even tapped the slide before popping out a good round.

I was sick about it so I packed up my toys and went home. I cleaned it up really good and noticed there was a little spring wire poking out from under the rails on the right side. The slide wouldn’t go back on.

I called Ruger and boy are they nice. She said it was the trigger spring and requires manufacturer service. She emailed me a return slip immediately and after telling her my previous issues, she said never to wait to call them again. She guaranteed me they will make it right no matter what.

I felt much better after that. I wonder if the trigger spring was causing some of my issues before? Anyhow, I’ll update when I get it back.

Look at the bright side. After Ruger fixes your gun and sends it back to you, you will be able to see your reflection in your buffed out feed ramp and chamber. :)

Look at the bright side. After Ruger fixes your gun and sends it back to you, you will be able to see your reflection in your buffed out feed ramp and chamber. :)
Got it back today. Ha, they gave me a new barrel! It’s finished differently. It is much darker and shiny. Looks like bluing instead of the matte finish it had on the old one. They also replaced the trigger and some trigger parts. Said they fired 26 shots without failures. Sooo I’ll be at the range this weekend I hope. We shall see.

OkieStubble

Got it back today. Ha, they gave me a new barrel! It’s finished differently. It is much darker and shiny. Looks like bluing instead of the matte finish it had on the old one. They also replaced the trigger and some trigger parts. Said they fired 26 shots without failures. Sooo I’ll be at the range this weekend I hope. We shall see.

Looking forward to the updated report

Good report from the range today. I spent awhile there this morning. Ruger customer service had mentioned that the lcp was not built for long range sessions. She recommended 50-100 shots at a session and mentioned it liked a couple extra drops of lube where the slide rubs the most. I guess for a pocket gun that is reasonable.

I took a few guns and after the first 100 shots with the lcp ii, I set it aside and shot a couple other pistols while it cooled. I gave it a quick swab and a couple drops of lube and back at it for another 100 shots. This cycle continued all morning. I did a lot of shooting overall! Gave both my 9’s a workout as well as a 38 and a couple 22’s. I forgot how much fun my CW9 and SR9 are to shoot since I have been playing with this little devil for the last couple months.

Well, I had zero malfunctions! I shot 200 WWB and 100 Hornady Critical defense cleaning and cooling every 100 rounds. I then shot 150 more blazer brass to finish the day. Overall, 450 rounds without problems. That was all without polishing the ramp, which I did do when I gave it a good cleaning today.

So I’ll take it for another less extensive range trip before I carry it, but I can report that Ruger customer service is very good. I am feeling better now.

I ordered an Alabama holsters pocket holster for it, but that had to go back as it turned on my laser every time I put it in. They have good customer service as well. I emailed them at 9:30 pm and had a return slip emailed back in 20 minutes. They said if I turn the laser on before I put it in, it would turn it off when I holster the gun but turn it on when I drew it. It worked but I’m not sure I even want the laser. I don’t really want it on when I draw automatically and they were happy to fix it.

Happy shooting boys!

OkieStubble

Good report from the range today. I spent awhile there this morning. Ruger customer service had mentioned that the lcp was not built for long range sessions. She recommended 50-100 shots at a session and mentioned it liked a couple extra drops of lube where the slide rubs the most. I guess for a pocket gun that is reasonable.

I took a few guns and after the first 100 shots with the lcp ii, I set it aside and shot a couple other pistols while it cooled. I gave it a quick swab and a couple drops of lube and back at it for another 100 shots. This cycle continued all morning. I did a lot of shooting overall! Gave both my 9’s a workout as well as a 38 and a couple 22’s. I forgot how much fun my CW9 and SR9 are to shoot since I have been playing with this little devil for the last couple months.

Well, I had zero malfunctions! I shot 200 WWB and 100 Hornady Critical defense cleaning and cooling every 100 rounds. I then shot 150 more blazer brass to finish the day. Overall, 450 rounds without problems. That was all without polishing the ramp, which I did do when I gave it a good cleaning today.

So I’ll take it for another less extensive range trip before I carry it, but I can report that Ruger customer service is very good. I am feeling better now.

I ordered an Alabama holsters pocket holster for it, but that had to go back as it turned on my laser every time I put it in. They have good customer service as well. I emailed them at 9:30 pm and had a return slip emailed back in 20 minutes. They said if I turn the laser on before I put it in, it would turn it off when I holster the gun but turn it on when I drew it. It worked but I’m not sure I even want the laser. I don’t really want it on when I draw automatically and they were happy to fix it.

Happy shooting boys!

Great review Brian! Glad to hear the Critical Defense ran flawlessly. Critical Defense isn't cheap, but one must know if their SD ammo works in their gun. Haven't had to send my wife's Ruger LCP II in for service, but I did return two of the original LCP's back in to Ruger many years ago. They came back and ran just fine . Ruger customer service is exemplary.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

Happy shooting boys!

All's well that ends well. Good to hear that it's working properly now.

Great review Brian! Glad to hear the Critical Defense ran flawlessly. Critical Defense isn't cheap, but one must know if their SD ammo works in their gun. Haven't had to send my wife's Ruger LCP II in for service, but I did return two of the original LCP's back in to Ruger many years ago. They came back and ran just fine . Ruger customer service is exemplary.

All's well that ends well. Good to hear that it's working properly now.

Thanks guys.

I carry an original LCP. Hoping to replace soon. The springs are incredibly heavy, trigger pull atrocious. This makes it very-very inaccurate. Impossible to pull slide back and engage the latch to keep open. I haven't shot it much, under 200 rounds for practice. I keep ARX ammo in it but have never shot with those as they are very expensive. Regular ammo make muzzle flip quite hard. But, it is easy to carry. I hardly know it is there whether in belt holster or in back pocket.

OkieStubble

I carry an original LCP. Hoping to replace soon. The springs are incredibly heavy, trigger pull atrocious. This makes it very-very inaccurate. Impossible to pull slide back and engage the latch to keep open. I haven't shot it much, under 200 rounds for practice. I keep ARX ammo in it but have never shot with those as they are very expensive. Regular ammo make muzzle flip quite hard. But, it is easy to carry. I hardly know it is there whether in belt holster or in back pocket.

I might be mistaken, But I thought the original LCP I used to own didn't have a slide lock on it to latch open. The slide could be locked open to the rear, but only with an empty magazine in it? Once the slide was locked back, then the magazine could be removed.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Not happy with that Ruger comment about "not being built for long range sessions."

Food for thought.

AA

Not happy with that Ruger comment about "not being built for long range sessions."

Food for thought.

AA

I wonder if they are talking about the number of rounds in a session or distance to target?

I didn’t like to hear her say that either. If a customer service rep had said that about any other pistol I probably would sell it. I can understand that $250(gun only) micro 380 is probably not made for the abuse most pistols are, but the reality is that those pistols are heavier and bigger and would not make a good pocket pistol for the summer. My 642 is probably as good as it gets for pocket carry, but it’s quite a bit thicker than the lcp. Maybe she just says that to everyone with a problem to try and get them to clean it and try it again before sending it in? I’m still not sold on pocket 380’s yet but I’ll play with it for a couple months before I start carrying it.

Jar, I’m sure she meant that it was not recommended to shoot hundreds of rounds without cleaning. She told me that if I was shooting a lot with it that I should periodically lube where the slide rubs the most.

I don’t mind cleaning it after 100 rounds. It’s not that fun to shoot in the first place. I only shot as much as I did to check reliability. Probably a box a month gun from this point on. Time will tell.

Top Bottom