What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I don't know what Burning Man is. I merely lifted the photo. Hope I didn't step in it.

The Burning Man is....BOSC. :)

Burning Man - Wikipedia

"The late summer event is described as an experiment in community and art, influenced by ten main principles: radical inclusion, radical self-reliance, radical self-expression, communal effort, civic responsibility, gifting, decommodification, participation, immediacy and leave no trace."

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
"The late summer Burning Man is described as an experiment in community and art, influenced by ten main principles: radical inclusion, radical self-reliance, radical self-expression, communal effort, civic responsibility, gifting, decommodification, participation, immediacy and leave no trace."

Ah...

Do I want to know what decommodification means? Not enough to look it up.

Burning Man sounds a bit, well, too radical for my tastes, but you never know.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ah...

Do I want to know what decommodification means? Not enough to look it up.

Burning Man sounds a bit, well, too radical for my tastes, but you never know.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Sounds more like left overs from the hippie era - 60's flower power stuff.

Probably read that all wrong. :001_rolle

Reminded me of this.

wicker.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday my shave was good.

2-17-19.G.Felix.Sharp.Kit.GD.640.JPG

Mandarin Bay is an excellent soap, but I think maybe I prefer the performance of the Lusso base just a little bit more. Maybe.

Today's razor, the 7th to be subjected to my most recent sharpening scheme, performed well. It's a G. Felix, Solingen blade.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Free love, and free everything needing to live :)

Oh, so sign me up at least for the second half of that. Wouldn't that be grand?

Don't sign me up to pay the bills when they come due.

hqdefault-jpg.953874

Mike, maybe @Esox that makes sense but not to me.

Immunization from market dependency? How 'bout this: Please stay out of my business.

Free Timeless Razors for everybody. Just call the vendor and mention Burning Man's Money. That's the secret code but just for today.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Reminded me of this.

Thats a movie thats difficult to forget.

Free love, and free everything needing to live :)

A perfect society where we all support each other without money and greed being at the root.

Free Timeless Razors for everybody. Just call the vendor and mention Burning Man's Money. That's the secret code but just for today.

You make razors. I farm venison. A trade is clearly in order :).

This is the very thing John Titor was talking about society becoming after WW3 which went nuclear. Long story, but a very interesting read.

John Titor - Time Traveler

Especially interesting is what he said about BSE and its effects on the future population.

Thats a movie thats difficult to forget.

A perfect society where we all support each other without money and greed being at the root.

You make razors. I farm venison. A trade is clearly in order :).

This is the very thing John Titor was talking about society becoming after WW3 which went nuclear. Long story, but a very interesting read.

John Titor - Time Traveler

Especially interesting is what he said about BSE and its effects on the future population.

I haven't seen a John Titor reference in years - respect ! Didn't realise there was a website for it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I haven't seen a John Titor reference in years - respect ! Didn't realise there was a website for it.

There are a few, but only one is the real thing lol.

I read about him years ago and some of the things he's said and referred too are very curious. The deeper you dig, the more interesting it gets. I once found scanned UK Government documents referring to when all the cattle infected with BSE were incinerated detailing how those ashes were kept in WW2 hangers and are still infectious. Even the equipment they were processed on is infected to a molecular level. Not even high dose radiation can kill those prions. John Titor stated that even in the year he came from, 2035 I think, vCJD is a very big problem.

John Titor led me there and many other places before Google, in all their wisdom, decided to make the internet a marketing tool and made it very difficult to search for particular information. If of course, you place any weight in that sort of thing. Very curious all the same though.

There are a few, but only one is the real thing lol.

I read about him years ago and some of the things he's said and referred too are very curious. The deeper you dig, the more interesting it gets. I once found scanned UK Government documents referring to when all the cattle infected with BSE were incinerated detailing how those ashes were kept in WW2 hangers and are still infectious. Even the equipment they were processed on is infected to a molecular level. Not even high dose radiation can kill those prions. John Titor stated that even in the year he came from, 2035 I think, vCJD is a very big problem.

John Titor led me there and many other places before Google, in all their wisdom, decided to make the internet a marketing tool and made it very difficult to search for particular information. If of course, you place any weight in that sort of thing. Very curious all the same though.

Some years ago a company wanted to locate an abattoir down the road from me. It would have been located where the run off would have drained into the river system. I researched the prospect of vcjd contamination of the countryside and it was somewhat alarming. Prions (misfolded proteins carrying the desease) seem to be pretty much indestructable and stay in the eco system forever - or at least a very long time, no matter what you do.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Some years ago a company wanted to locate an abattoir down the road from me. It would have been located where the run off would have drained into the river system. I researched the prospect of vcjd contamination of the countryside and it was somewhat alarming. Prions (misfolded proteins carrying the desease) seem to be pretty much indestructable and stay in the eco system forever - or at least a very long time, no matter what you do.

It is alarming yeah and really not well known by many. Once its in the system its there to stay. Who ever thought feeding cows other cows was a good idea? Cows are not carnivores, they're herbivores. Once again, greed rears its ugly head.

In the picture below, the cliff behind me is maybe 100 feet high.

Mike 2.jpg

At the top of it just upstream from me is a pig farm. The manure tank was visible from the river bank, virtually on the edge of the cliff. The overflow pipe from that tank fed out the back side and extended to the lip of the cliff so that all the overflow from that tank ran down the side of that cliff and directly into the Nine Mile River that feeds into Lake Huron 3 1/2 miles downstream from where I'm standing. Lake Huron supplies who knows how many cities water supplies in both the US and Canada. Our drinking water in London comes straight from Lake Huron.

Cattle farms were much the same but there wernt any on that river. Cattle manure gets pushed into a pile and ends up in the ground water supply. There was an abattoir next door to my gun club for many years. When we did all the work there building new berms, someone from the Ontario Ministry of the Environment came to test the water and has for years now. They came because the new berm material is a recycled paper product that cant be used for anything so they were giving it away. The berms are 30 feet high and 80 feet wide by 350m long for the 300m range. There are 5 or 6 different ranges now that all use the same berm material.

The water inspector found issues with the ground water and they suspected the berm material and said they made need to be removed, at the clubs expense. Further testing revealed it wasnt the berm material but it was because of the abattoir and its effect on the ground water. Most of the water there, for the club and neighboring farms is well water. They closed that abattoir and its been sitting vacant for around 20 years now.

Since the mid to late 1990's here much has changed. Theres a new sealed acrylic tank on the top of that cliff with no overflow. When they get full, a truck comes to drain them.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was very good.

2-18-19.Torrey.GD.Rave's.640.JPG

Hard to beat kit like this. I also used the GD Preshave before the shave and drug store witch hazel after first rinsing. My skin was air dried.

A shout out to Cal @Cal and Rave @Raven Koenes because this really is a great brush. Oh, my, is it!

upload_2019-2-18_9-36-6.png

What can I say? Nice shave today. Very nice shave!

Cremo + Bay Rum (favorites). 480:Small..JPG

This stuff followed the GD Serum.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Still counting my SR shaves I am.

Top Bottom