What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
View attachment 954246

Widely known fact: You do love your blades.

one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-1975-jack-nicholson-laughing.png

I cant argue that...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The straight razors I've been watch-listing on eBay auctions are going for too much money. Too many people have forgotten how dangerous these things are. You guys need to get the word out.

Thanks for the help,

Jim

The straight razors I've been watch-listing on eBay auctions are going for too much money. Too many people have forgotten how dangerous these things are. You guys need to get the word out.

Thanks for the help,

Jim
I know what you mean. We all need to take a step back. Cluckers are no longer the way to go. We will just have to start making our own from scratch.

There is a forge down the road from me. I have been wondering... Should I go in and get some blanks made up...

Mike Cook is said to be one of the leading North American artists practicing the prehistoric art of flintknapping. Mike offers flintknapping classes and training seminars where he customizes his program to engage each group. Contact Mike today to learn more about how The Stone Age is Back! For his entertaining and educational videos go to: http://www.youtube.com/artofishi

Sounds like they are traditional methods.

Great, actual classes for it. I was joking about that stupid hole! Blast it!
FKAD, FKMAD, GAWD!

I don't remember ever seeing a stone-age tool that looked that fine in terms of workmanship. I mean the scallops / serrations on the blade are so even and lethal looking.

It's as though he's taken it to a whole new level.

Reminds me of a Ray Mears program where he was in the Amazon and encountered a tribe on hard times and they had forgotten a lot of their traditional skills including how to make fire - and he taught them how to again using traditional techniques.

I read an interesting article on ultra high carbon steel that was developed in the US in the late 70s I think. The authors spoke of high plasticity especially when combine in a laminated pattern with brass or copper. I was wondering -- extra hollow blade made with UHC and a copper laminate something like this:

proxy.php

I am not sure I understand the metallurgy right but I think the edge wouldn't deform so much and you wouldn't need to strop so much.

But that's me in my little razor fantasy land...

I don't remember ever seeing a stone-age tool that looked that fine in terms of workmanship. I mean the scallops / serrations on the blade are so even and lethal looking.

It's as though he's taken it to a whole new level.

Reminds me of a Ray Mears program where he was in the Amazon and encountered a tribe on hard times and they had forgotten a lot of their traditional skills including how to make fire - and he taught them how to again using traditional techniques.
I've seen some very good Indian arrowheads. Stone-age is more recent than some consider. :) And they were making tools to use that might get broken or have to be left behind when fleeing. Not the luxury of today where art comes into the util. I'm sure he has made refinements, but I imagine he uses traditional methods and not machinery of any kind. Would have to watch a long video of start to finish to be sure though. If he has any.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I read an interesting article on ultra high carbon steel that was developed in the US in the late 70s I think. The authors spoke of high plasticity especially when combine in a laminated pattern with brass or copper. I was wondering -- extra hollow blade made with UHC and a copper laminate something like this:

proxy.php

I am not sure I understand the metallurgy right but I think the edge wouldn't deform so much and you wouldn't need to strop so much.

But that's me in my little razor fantasy land...

My (limited) understanding is that one of the things which makes the straight razor so comfortable is the easy ability of the edge to deform. That's how it "can tell whiskers from skin."

The barber razors (Feather SS, etc.) loaded with a Proline or such can't make the distinction.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I find the Feather SS very comfortable. My experience is a wedge ground razor is different in how it shaves over a hollow grind. The wedge just plows down the growth.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I know what you mean. We all need to take a step back. Cluckers are no longer the way to go. We will just have to start making our own from scratch.

There is a forge down the road from me. I have been wondering... Should I go in and get some blanks made up...

Theres a knife maker whos a member of my gun club, Joe Arnold.

Just Custom Knives - Store View Arnold Knives Store

He heat treats his in the oven in his stove. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was much the same.

2-19-19.Lusso.CopperMan.Red-Injun.640.JPG

That is to say Tuesday's shave was very good.

This razor is my Boker Red Injun. I used GD Preshave and GD Serum. Everything went swimmingly.

proxy.php

So far, the second hundred of my SR shaves is going quite well; I think the learning progresses. The first hundred merely establish a base on which to build.

This is a very nice razor. There've been times when I thought maybe I spent too much on it. It's my most expensive razor even though I got a good deal in the auction I won. Today I think it was money well spent. It's a very nice shaving razor. It also looks very attractive to my eye.

Cremo + Bay Rum (favorites). 480:Small..JPG

It would be very hard to dislike kit such as today's.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Chan Eil Whiskers

Have you had a chance to try the Mondial plastic handle version? If it is the same knot quality as the aluminium one, that would be a helpful feedback.

I've not tried it at all, but it seems much the same as the aluminum. In fact, it seems to be a very high quality brush for a plastic handle brush; better I'd say than the Omegas. I'll maybe move to boars soon. When I do, the new Mondial will be used early in that brush phase.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was good enough.

2-20-19.Kit.New-Mondial-Plastic.Kukri.640.JPG

Good kit.

2-20-19.Mondial.Boars.Two.2.640.JPG

In the bottom photo the plastic handled Mondial boar is damp. Top photo, brand new. I don't think the knots in the two brushes are exactly the same. I think maybe the aluminum handled brush's knot might be a tad more dense. Both are fine with the caveat that the plastic handled boar shed a few bristles this morning; we'll see how it does over a few uses.

I liked using my newest Mondial boar!

All in all the shave was good. Not my best, but okay.

Cremo + Bay Rum (favorites). 480:Small..JPG

I used the best stuff so my skin feels great now (about four hours post shave). Immediately after shaving my skin felt the tiniest bit razor burned but it was gone before the burn of the aftershave wore off so maybe it was the post shave products. I'm making a mountain out a molehill even mentioning it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Wednesday's shave was good enough.

View attachment 954805

Good kit.

View attachment 954806

In the bottom photo the plastic handled Mondial boar is damp. Top photo, brand new. I don't think the knots in the two brushes are exactly the same. I think maybe the aluminum handled brush's knot might be a tad more dense. Both are fine with the caveat that the plastic handled boar shed a few bristles this morning; we'll see how it does over a few uses.

I liked using my newest Mondial boar!

All in all the shave was good. Not my best, but okay.

View attachment 954808

I used the best stuff so my skin feels great now (about four hours post shave). Immediately after shaving my skin felt the tiniest bit razor burned but it was gone before the burn of the aftershave wore off so maybe it was the post shave products. I'm making a mountain out a molehill even mentioning it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I’m finding some shaves are better than others because of my experimenting.

A thought occurred to me that I should stay with one SR for several shaves and really get used to it....to know when it needs a touch up.

A thought occurred to me that I should stay with one SR for several shaves and really get used to it....to know when it needs a touch up.

I am alternating a pair of identical straight razors, a pair of identical brushes, one soap, one strop, one coticule for all maintenance throughout February. All I can say is the the experience so far has been very informative. It has allowed me to experiment more with different coticule edges and different shaving techniques.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

upload_2019-2-21_10-3-12.png

Several as in the March Fixed Four (three if using a straight)?

I'm considering it, but far from making the commitment.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom