What's new

TENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2019 Edition

Here are the "rules":

1. "Try" to use one blade for the entire month of February. That means if you want to try a "mortal" blade, like a Derby or a Dorco, and you can get it to last 15 days, feel free to use a new Derby Day 16 and continue. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4.)

I do believe that I'm seeing the end of life with my Feather Professional. I've used it 15 days now in my Mongoose SE. I'm now getting unacceptable razor burn, nicks, weepers and not as good a shave as I'd like. I have taken great strides with prep and technique to try to get the best shave I can get. But this is about it I think. I could probably go the rest of the month without issue, but I do not see my shaves being any good at this point.

I think I'm going to load my Mongoose with a Feather Pro Guard and see if I can get that one to go for the rest of the month (or maybe longer). This has definitely been an eye opener for me.

20 is pretty good. Thats more than I've done with a PTFE so far.

The MMOC has more blade exposure than the SE1. You'll probably have to put in more work, but the Bullet tip would probably be more comfortable extending the blades life.

I wouldnt expect there'd be much to shave at the 24 hour mark lol. Do you find shaving every 24 hours more difficult or just as easy? Its not any more difficult for me, but it sure doesnt go as easily or as comfortably.

Nope, not much to shave at 24 hours. It's just as easy and probably slightly smoother shaving every 24 hours. If it had MMOC blade exposure, it wouldn't be as comfortable.

14 shaves on the blade and I'm still BBS at 12 hours right now. I don't think it will last the usual 20 hours though.

Wilkinson Sword German (15)
Merkur 34c
RazoRock Irish countryside

Still cutting ok, almost BBS on cheeks. I do think I see some signs of degradation, not much but something it is. When atg I did notice some hesitation from the blade, and I see signs of irritation on my skin.
I think it will last February out if I want to, but if it starts to get uncomfortable I will drop it.
I'll go at least a couple more shaves though.

#17 on the Topaz. Phone rang while I was shaving and I managed to gouge a chunk off my chin, very annoying. Not the blade, the operator, I tend to twitch when surprised and sideways motion of a razor when it's on your face is ALWAYS a bad idea...

Blade itself is working fine.

Astra Superior Stainless (16)
British Rocket Flare Tip
Balea boar brush
Yardley Moisturizing Bath Bar + Cella frankensoap, face lathered
Izod Classic after shave lotion

I had an amazing shave. The wife declared it "baby smooth" after a kiss. Just two passes, but with a razor I just adore.

Excellent lather didn't hurt. I've been trying to add slickness to my Cella lathers, since I've not been successful. I get picturesque lather, but dry and non-protective. Yesterday I mixed it with the Nivea Body Stick, a very slick soap, and had an much better lather. Noticed a pronounced residual slickness. Today I mixed Cella with a bath soap that I picked up because the ingredients read like a shave soap: sodium tallowate, sodium palm kernelate, glycerin, tallow acid, AND Bentonite clay!!! Alone the Yardley produced a slick but non-lasting lather. But mixed with Cella...enduring lather with amazing slickness.

Nacet#8 last night, it's definitely dulling to the point where I'd be able to shave again tonight.
In fact, a couple of consecutive days will help me get past last year's 14 on one blade.
I'll open the Fat Boy up a bit and flip the blade for tonight; I need to wrap it carefully as it's coming along with my travel kit for the rest of this week.

I do believe that I'm seeing the end of life with my Feather Professional. I've used it 15 days now in my Mongoose SE. I'm now getting unacceptable razor burn, nicks, weepers and not as good a shave as I'd like. I have taken great strides with prep and technique to try to get the best shave I can get. But this is about it I think. I could probably go the rest of the month without issue, but I do not see my shaves being any good at this point.

I think I'm going to load my Mongoose with a Feather Pro Guard and see if I can get that one to go for the rest of the month (or maybe longer). This has definitely been an eye opener for me.
I had a hard time with a Feather Pro last year in an Artist Club razor. Different type of razor, I know but it seems that the Feathers fade fast.

Nacet #9.
I had the razor on "7" and even though there's less stubble, shave was rough.
This is the point where last year I found arapid decline from the sweet spot.
I'm stubborn, so while it's a prewar tech next week, it'll be an OLD or my Fatip to close the month.
I'll appear, but not really feel, clean shaven.

I had a hard time with a Feather Pro last year in an Artist Club razor. Different type of razor, I know but it seems that the Feathers fade fast.

My Mongoose is an AC SE razor. It shaves wonderfully (when the blade is good). I typically don't get more than 7 days out of a blade (at least for the two types I have) and I thought I'd really like to see just how far I can push one blade.

Next month I'm trying the final four challenge with an Eversharp Schick I1 and a Chick. I only typically get 7 days out of one of those too. That being said, 7 days seems to be a bit of a magic number for me.

Top Bottom