What's new

TENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2019 Edition

I'm out gents. After 125 shaves with a champ of a GSB blade, I retired it due to discomfort. I was surprised at the rapid decline of this blade after so many solid shaves. It ended like all blades have - no longer comfortable, especially the first pass. Have fun with it!
Congrats on the achievement. I'm up to 11 on my "Chick" but don't expect to see nearly that many shaves out of this blade.

I'm out gents. After 125 shaves with a champ of a GSB blade

Well done indeed.... However, about you being "out" I refer you to Rules #3 and #4 respectively.

Today was shave #14 for me and my Mongoose with Feather Professional.
Had a couple of nicks (me being too particular) but what I did get was weepers. I never get those things. Either I'm bleeding or not. Odd sort of oozy things aren't they? I didn't really even notice them until after I used aftershave.

They give me the best shaves I've ever had. Better than GSB and just as good as the vintage version. But I use them sparingly because they are expensive and getting hard to get.

edit - should have mentioned, the blades are expensive because they were intended for sale in the US market; as Gillette US considers itself a premium provider, it charged more for them. Original MSRP was over $1 per blade. They're essentially discontinued now and the only vendor I know of sells them for about half that.

It appears that West Coast Shaving has the Platinum for $46 per 100, but the Platinum Plus, I take it, is a different blade.

It's amazing that a recent poster (Anemic) got 125 shaves with the blade type I'm using, a Gillette Silver Blue. I'm at 14 with the One Blade February challenge, and have never tried to exceed two weeks with any blade. It will be interesting to see how shaves go after two weeks, but I'm game to try.

It appears that West Coast Shaving has the Platinum for $46 per 100, but the Platinum Plus, I take it, is a different blade.

It's amazing that a recent poster (Anemic) got 125 shaves with the blade type I'm using, a Gillette Silver Blue. I'm at 14 with the One Blade February challenge, and have never tried to exceed two weeks with any blade. It will be interesting to see how shaves go after two weeks, but I'm game to try.

$46? That Gillette Platinum is widely available from multiple vendors for under $20 per hundred, but that's besides the point. The Platinum Plus is a descendant of the 1970s-1980s US market Platinum Plus, these were made in Brazil and distributed to Walgreens and a few other pharmacies a couple of years ago, then disappeared. Still visible on the Gillette site, but only really available on eBay.

Gillette Platinum-Plus Double-Edge Blade | Gillette

Wilkinson Sword German (14)
Merkur 34c
Tabac

This blade holds up really well. Thought I did see some signs of degradation, but I doubt it. Cuts great and bbs on my cheeks after two pass and a quick touch up.

Astra Superior Stainless (15)
British Velvet Open Comb razor
Vie Long horse hair brush
Nivea Body Stick + Cella frankensoap, face lathered
Master Jade after shave lotion

After tallying last years blade longevity, I averaged 15 shaves a blade. So I expected to reach my 15th shave on this Astra Stainless. Beyond, I don't know.

Today was less a test of the blade and more a test of a new razor, a Velvet OC. Not as mild as I expected, more like the Old Type it's copying. Lot of blade feel, mild alum sting. But using a blade with 15 shaves may be misleading. Am I feeling exposure? Or the roughness of a degrading blade. Guess I'll find out the next shave, when I switch back to a closed comb I'm more familiar with. The good news with today's shave...no nicks, no irritation.

Shave number 7 with a Gillette Nacet blade. Shave went well but I could feel one side started tugging quite badly. I will probably start with a new Nacet blade tomorrow after first attempting to shave with the current one.

February 16th, shave #10 - Muhle R41, Feather Stainless.

All of the sudden, one of the best shaves I've ever had! I did a two pass shave (WTG, ATG) and achieved a solid DFS without any blood and practically no irritation. I've made some progress dialing in my technique by using a shallow angle and reducing pressure applied to skin (holding handle a bit looser).

Whats the highest number of shaves you've had on a Proline yet?

Around 20 or so, not sure exactly. I start longing for a fresh blade after a couple of weeks. I usually shave 3 to 4 times a week, no problem going a month with one that way.

Daily BBS shaves are just as I remember them, niiiiice! Shaving with the SE1 daily, it looks like I don't grow hair on my face.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Around 20 or so, not sure exactly. I start longing for a fresh blade after a couple of weeks. I usually shave 3 to 4 times a week, no problem going a month with one that way.

Daily BBS shaves are just as I remember them, niiiiice! Shaving with the SE1 daily, it looks like I don't grow hair on my face.

20 is pretty good. Thats more than I've done with a PTFE so far.

I wouldnt expect there'd be much to shave at the 24 hour mark lol. Do you find shaving every 24 hours more difficult or just as easy? Its not any more difficult for me, but it sure doesnt go as easily or as comfortably.

Shave #16 with the Dorco Prime STP301. The blade is still going strong and is able to provide a smooth shave. I usually install a new blade on the 1st and 16th of the month, so the blade has already met my expectations.

I plan to switch to my CJB for the month of March. Rather than retiring the Dorco to the blade bank, I'm thinking about keeping it loaded to see just how many decent shaves it's capable of producing. But, that's still six weeks away. A lot can happen between now and then.

It's the 17th day of february but so far I have only managed 12 shaves on my Gillette green blade, it has moved around the razor collection and is currently resting in a Gillette Slim.
I did try GEM yesterday and I reckon that blade could go a month easy :) SE razors are cool so maybe next year I'll try that one.

Top Bottom