What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

(In the UK) of course. See the last sentence in the first paragraph here. :wink2:

A Century I can understand, but what do you mean by a Ben? A Ben to me (Scottish) is a high mountain or mountain peak.
Or perhaps a Franklin. He's on a hundred dollar Bill. I can definitely understand you not getting the reference.

Ton makes sense, but was surprised to see it based on MPH. Since Y'all switched before us (or US:)), and definitely before I was stationed overseas, I was thinking it would be KMPH, not thinking at first that our measurement system is actually based on yours, if not in fact being yours.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The 100 didnt take long. 1000 will be better. :)

Not really. I was joking. It was supposed to be a little bit funny. At least to me.

If you had said Tabac...

dr.evil.funny.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
...speed, black leathers and rock n’ roll music never go out of style.

How true, Cal, how true.

Having done gobs of centuries on bicycles, and having easily gotten my old but not forgotten Honda 750 up to 100 mph and way beyond, I appreciate two wheeled vehicles, but probably none more than those British bikes of long ago.
Way to go Jim! :a14::a50::clap:

I don't think the learning will ever really stop with straights. Whether it's honing, stropping or shaving.
I guess that's what makes the whole thing so interesting and engaging, because it's no longer "just a shave".

It's taken me about 8 months and I'm almost at the point where I can say I get as good as, if not better, than a schick shave. I'm very, very close.

Great post for someone in my position to read.

Complaining about where I'm at would be silly in any event, but particularly silly considering how good and how comfortable my SR shaves are now. Still, they're taking too much time and they are not in the league of the closeness of my injector shaves. My SR shaves are good enough to go to the office, so they're acceptable, but not ideal in closeness, smoothness, and longevity.

What keeps me shaving with the straight is the comfort of the straight razor shaves! I doubt I'm unique in that respect. I do want my SR shaves to be at the level yours already are.

There is hope for me yet, Doug.

The 100 didn't take long. 1000 will be better. :)

I would hope so.

I've read a post or two by someone saying they've shaved with the straight razor for many years and then suddenly figured it out.

Congratulations on the 100 shaves, Jim. While you might not feel you have mastered it yet, it's clear that you have reached a level of competence that you can be proud of. :thumbup:

Thanks, Al.

Happy shaves, gentlemen,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've read a post or two by someone saying they've shaved with the straight razor for many years and then suddenly figured it out.

Things have a way of 'clicking' into place. Like a BBS finish, it happens when it happens. As long as you're enjoying the road, stay on it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'll looking at a couple of recently acquired razors.

View attachment 951119

The bottom razor says Best German Hollow Ground on the blade and Real German Hollow Ground on the shank. It measures a bit under 6/8". Needs some cleaning up, but not very much.

The top razor is a tad bigger than 6/8". It might be 13/16". It was made in the USA by The Torrey Razor Company. It needs very little. We'll see as I get into it with the hones what it needs.

I'll Barbicide both blades first. I don't always do that, but I think I should.

View attachment 951124

I'm also putting the little 5/8" Geneva Cutlery Corp. square point razor in the Barbicide but won't otherwise mess with that razor today.

View attachment 951125

Here's another photo (above) of the Torrey.

View attachment 951127

And two more photos of the Real German Hollow Ground.

View attachment 951126

I would like to know more about this razor. It's all the vendor knew. My guess is the initials were either the owner's or a company logo but I can't find anything to tell me more.

Happy shaves,

Jim

tworazors-torrey-realgermanhollowground-640-2-19-jpg.951119

Today I finished honing these two old razors. Yesterday I did part of the honing, but today I used the 5K, 8K, 12K, and my finishing stone. They were finished on my Translucent Hard Arkansas and then received the CrOX, Red, and Black stropping + leather stropping.

I think I will skip shaving today. No particular reason. Just haven't shaved and it's now late afternoon. Give my skin a day off.

Congratulations on your 100 shaves with the SR, Jim. It makes me a bit more interested in the SR, but nowhere near interested enough to join in lol. Hope they keep going well. Enjoy the shaves!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Since doing a first knock down pass with any razor including another SR, my overall shaves have dramatically improved. I cannot explain it except that the first pass on tough hair damages the edge. I have hair and density in areas that even a new DE blade resists.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Congratulations on your 100 shaves with the SR, Jim. It makes me a bit more interested in the SR, but nowhere near interested enough to join in lol. Hope they keep going well. Enjoy the shaves!

Joel, thanks.

I suspect you have enough going on in your life already. The straight razor is interesting to learn, but learning to shave with it plus learning all the stropping and honing is a lot of work and bother unless you have both the time and the interest. It is probably a lot easier to deal with the straight once all the components of its use and maintenance are mastered but I'm far from that point.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Since doing a first knock down pass with any razor including another SR, my overall shaves have dramatically improved. I cannot explain it except that the first pass on tough hair damages the edge. I have hair and density in areas that even a new DE blade resists.

Not sure I understand, but, if I do, you're doing a first pass with one razor and then switching razors for the rest of the shave?

I've read of gentlemen doing a bit of stropping of the SR after the first pass.

Not sure I understand, but, if I do, you're doing a first pass with one razor and then switching razors for the rest of the shave?

I've read of gentlemen doing a bit of stropping of the SR after the first pass.

What I mean is just a pass to reduce growth, nothing detailed or even something to be presentable in public. I can use the Feather SS, GEM MMOC, Schick, or another SR. With the reduction, I can then focus on the details better.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday started the week right.

2-11-19.GD.GermanHollowGround.VeryNiceEdge.640JPG.JPG

Good kit. Good shave.

2-11-19,Kit.GermanHollow.NiceEdge.480.JPG

A new vintage razor. This may be the best edge I've achieved so far. Fitting in that I'm now beginning my second hundred straight razor shaves.

upload_2019-2-11_9-33-45.png

I like it.

Cremo + Bay Rum (favorites). 480:Small..JPG

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Did you do something different Jim?

Better maybe?

The only really noticeable difference was that I changed the lubrication on my Arkansas finishing stone from one thing to another.
  • Old way. WD-40 + 4 drops of Norton's honing oil.
  • New way. WD-40 + 3 drops of Norton's honing oil.
Small change? Yes, indeed, but I think it made a significant and real difference.

Probably more important is I'm getting better at honing.

Tomorrow's razor - my other new vintage, honed the same way as today's razor - should give me more information about what and why.

Maybe today's razor was just a better blade? I doubt it, but maybe.

Today's shave was clearly at another level of closeness and smoothness.

I'll take the quantum jump...

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Better maybe?

The only really noticeable difference was that I changed the lubrication on my Arkansas finishing stone from one thing to another.
  • Old way. WD-40 + 4 drops of Norton's honing oil.
  • New way. WD-40 + 3 drops of Norton's honing oil.
Small change? Yes, indeed, but I think it made a significant and real difference.

Probably more important is I'm getting better at honing.

Tomorrow's razor - my other new vintage, honed the same way as today's razor - should give me more information about what and why.

Maybe today's razor was just a better blade? I doubt it, but maybe.

Today's shave was clearly at another level of closeness and smoothness.

I'll take the quantum jump...

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yep, dont be shy with the oil. When I use an oil stone, I have no idea how many drops of oil I use, but its a puddle larger than a quarter. If I can watch the oil flow as I move the edge over the stone I'm good. If I cant, I add more. The same as water. When I use my Arkansas I keep a small plastic container half full of water beside me with an old toothbrush in it. As the water goes away I give the stone a swipe with the toothbrush. Water and oil is cheaper than stones and blades lol.

The more accurately you can maintain the angle, the better the finish on the edge will be.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
What I mean is just a pass to reduce growth, nothing detailed or even something to be presentable in public. I can use the Feather SS, GEM MMOC, Schick, or another SR. With the reduction, I can then focus on the details better.
Your whiskers are the same diameter regardless of the number of days between shaves so a first pass should have the same results regardless of when you do it.

Your whiskers are the same diameter regardless of the number of days between shaves so a first pass should have the same results regardless of when you do it.

Length not diameter. So my hypothesis is that the first pass catches some of the hair, maybe some mid length, some missed, some fully. The hair is hydrates and probably stretches a bit while coming in contact with the edge.

Top Bottom