What's new

Never buying a Thiers Issard again!

My latest ti took a couple of goes on the stones to get it right. I have a 6/8 and the new 5/8 . The 5/8 shaved very well
Think the logical answer is just that the TI's are harder steels and take more patience to get right. I had no such trouble with any of my other razors, just the TI's, and that includes all three of them. Looks like they just need more attention. Hope they will reward me in the end!
Like I said, I do like them, just wish they could shave as well as some of my other cheaper razors!

Not only would that be blantantly unfair (and I notice you didn’t use a smiley to indicate that this was supposed to be a joke), to me it seems that the newbie is you and you have neither come to grips with smaller than ⅝ blades nor the different properties of Thiers Issard steels.

Yes it was said in jest, its not in my nature to take unfair advantage of anybody, and the more people we can help to enjoy what I have recently discovered, the better. I have a natural attraction to shiny steely things, being anything from kitchen knives, folders, or hunting knives. The sharper, the better, so it was inevitable that at some point it my interest in razors would have been awoken. Own more than I can ever use in a lifetime and once they are mine, they will not be sold on. Saying that, I will gladly give some away to someone that I know will enjoy it and appreciate it.

Like I said, I do like TI's, and I will come to grips with their unique personalities, they are just much more difficult to master than the others.

Having started about 8 months ago, the majority of my current collection of 14 razors are Solingen blades. Honing and stropping is a major part of the experience, and I am determined to master it. After a few trials and errors, the Solingen blades and also the two Gold Dollars I own shave beautifully. The TI blades remains a challenge.

Same as you, I have bunch of Solingen razors in addition to several "others" as well as 2 Thiers and 1 Le Grelot ("post" Thiers I think). Two Thiers razors I own (both C135 steel) "for me" look and feel great, and are incredible shavers. They are delicate, light, nimble, smooth and hold the edge really well. I don't feel there's anything missing in my collection right now, but will likely buy another Thiers razor in the future, I like them that much.

I've never honed one myself though, so I can't comment on that, but I think that you should send yours to someone who is experienced honing these before you write them off completely.

Send me the big one for testing. I will return when it no longer shaves....if it takes a couple of decades I'm ok with that. Good luck and hang in there. I found that each blade has its own ways that you have to learn. I like to think I can hone like a pro until I have to put one away because I'm not a pro.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I
I have very little SR knowledge, so take this with a grain of salt. I am told the smallest razor that will give a good shave, at least without a lot of skill, is a 5/8. It may be that the 4/8 just isn't a good fit for you.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk
ll have to respectfully disagree. I find the 4/8 the easiest razor to use of all my razors. I look forward to a 4/8 coming up in rotation. However, I do not like a thin grind in a 4/8. Prefer some weight. I am happy they are the least preferred as I can get high quality razors at a good price.

I

ll have to respectfully disagree. I find the 4/8 the easiest razor to use of all my razors. I look forward to a 4/8 coming up in rotation. However, I do not like a thin grind in a 4/8. Prefer some weight. I am happy they are the least preferred as I can get high quality razors at a good price.
I'm kindof the same.
My favourite razors are the old Sheffield 4/8th-9/16ths but they are near wedges, so have a heavy thick grind.

I

Interesting. I only have one razor, so I have extremely limited experience. Thanks for the additional viewpoint.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

It's really not bad. Just some of the solingen razors hone up really quick and easy.try a few then hit a ti or something that is tricky and it gets discouraging. I've been having trouble with the old swedish framebacks lately. I get em sharp but not smooth. It's annoying when ten hone smoothly then number 11 is a beast.

Right guys, I had some time yesterday and decided to have another go, sticking to getting the basics right, taking my time at each stage and building a good foundation.

Started with setting the bevel with a 3000 grid. I did this twice before, so I didn't expect to spend a lot of time on it. Used a light slurry and did 30 circular strokes each side. Then about 20 cross strokes, paying attention to look at the slurry line and undercutting of the slurry. When I was sure I was seeing straight slurry lines after each stroke, I knew the bevel was right. Thinking ahead I decided to do something different, to give me an indication that the next grid was done right, so I purposely put some scratches on the bevel by moving the razor back and forth a few times on each side to give some lengthwise marks. I have a cheap 600x LED microscope that can show some details that's invisible to the naked eye. I could see the lengthwise marks, so on to the 8000 grid.

On the 8000, I started with 30 circular strokes each side and then carried on with the cross strokes, doing about ten each side and having a look to see if the 3000 grid marks were gone. Only took about 30 cross stroke each side and it was done. Carried on a bit further, diluting the slurry with a spray of water, 5 strokes and diluting it further, until it was just clear water on the stone.

On the final stone, a 12000 grid I repeated the process I followed on the 8000 grid, but because I didn't have reference marks to see, I just assumed that about he same would do the job.

Next is stropping on a leather, two sided, home made paddle strop. One side loaded with .5 micron diamond paste, the other side .25 micron paste.

Stropped with light, slow, careful strokes to keep it in full, even contact for 300 laps. Yes, three hundred!

Then on the .25 micron side for a hundred times, test it to see if it passes the hanging hair test, and then a hundred more to test again. That took another 600 laps before I was satisfied.

To confirm the blade was sharp I had a look under the microscope, and I have seen on a Youtube video that when a blade is sharp, the very edge starts to show a dark, almost black colour. The explanation offered, if I remember correctly is that the metal is so thin that the light passes through it and is not reflected. You have to look for it to notice it, but I could see it, and I was sure I had a very sharp blade!

The whole process, took about two hours, but I was determined not to rush it, and do it right.

Stropped on clean leather for 50 laps.

Time to shave!

Washed my face thoroughly, few drops of pre-shave oil, lathered up, expecting the razor to glide over my face.
It didn't, it started bouncing. Someone said in the thread, its because its lighter and that it will take a bit more pressure, so I firmed up my grip and applied a bit more pressure. Better second stroke and from there on, things went well. Did a WTG pass and ATG second pass and I was pleased with the quality of the end result.

So what did I learn?

1) The old saying that a poor workman blames his tools is true, most of the time.

2) Thiers Issard steel is harder than Solingen steel, and requires about three times more work, but the upside is that you can expect the edge to last a lot longer.

3) Shaving with a 4/8 is different from bigger razors.

Back to the original thread.
Will I buy another Theirs Issard?.....Maybe, if the price is right, and the blade is in pristine condition.

Will I buy another 4/8th's? ...... No, I respect the fact that some like it, but it's not for me. Maybe its because the one I have is a heavy grind, much thicker that most of my other razors. Even with the blade being very sharp, it still tugs, and yes I did try different angles.

Thank you for all the advice, I did learn a lot, and that's the point of it!

Happy shaving!

Send me the big one for testing. I will return when it no longer shaves....if it takes a couple of decades I'm ok with that. Good luck and hang in there. I found that each blade has its own ways that you have to learn. I like to think I can hone like a pro until I have to put one away because I'm not a pro.
Hahaha, that's the one that actually shaves very nice! Have to be careful with the square point though.

My 6/8 is great but the 5/8 just took a great edge. I do have a 4/8 from about 80 years ago. Original horn scales . It is crazy sharp and actually cut me a few times early on. Cuts help you learn. Good luck

Just an fyi they are known for not really caring about extremely detailed complaints on their honing quality. They think its rather silly we care so much. Ive had issues once and the email I received was pretty clear they thought I was being picky.

F

ffourteen

I have a couple vintage TIs in 5/8 and I love them. I haven’t tried the new ones though.

Top Bottom