What's new

Never buying a Thiers Issard again!

Think the logical answer is just that the TI's are harder steels and take more patience to get right. I had no such trouble with any of my other razors, just the TI's, and that includes all three of them. Looks like they just need more attention. Hope they will reward me in the end!
Like I said, I do like them, just wish they could shave as well as some of my other cheaper razors!
I am in Centurion and would love to give them the edge they deserve.

I am in Centurion and would love to give them the edge they deserve.
Thanks for the offer, but I got the 7/8 and 6/8 to shave very nice after spending a lot of time on them, I am sure they will maintain the edge for a long time. I am living in Aberdeen Scotland, so Centurion is not just around the corner!

Groete daar!

I've got eight TI ranging from 5/8 to 15/16. I love them all. I'll never let go off the +40 or so 4/8 Eskilstuna razors I've got. Like sports cars they aren't easy to manage but once mastered they'll give you the shave of your life.

Being fairly new I think I went through the normal process of buying what looks good at first, trying it, until you find what really suits you.
Having started about 8 months ago, the majority of my current collection of 14 razors are Solingen blades. Honing and stropping is a major part of the experience, and I am determined to master it. After a few trials and errors, the Solingen blades and also the two Gold Dollars I own shave beautifully.
The TI blades remains a challenge. After spending a lot of time and effort, the 7/8th's shaves fine, the 6/8th's shaves ok at best, and the 4/8th's just disappoints me every time, and I am ready to sell it to some unsuspecting newbie.
The problem is that I really want to like them, the workmanship and finishes are excellent, and everything I see and feel when I have them in my hands just feels right. But they don't shave as well as a cheap, poorly finished razor!
Is it just me, or are they just so much more difficult to get to the right degree of sharpness?
Being fairly new I think I went through the normal process of buying what looks good at first, trying it, until you find what really suits you.
Having started about 8 months ago, the majority of my current collection of 14 razors are Solingen blades. Honing and stropping is a major part of the experience, and I am determined to master it. After a few trials and errors, the Solingen blades and also the two Gold Dollars I own shave beautifully.
The TI blades remains a challenge. After spending a lot of time and effort, the 7/8th's shaves fine, the 6/8th's shaves ok at best, and the 4/8th's just disappoints me every time, and I am ready to sell it to some unsuspecting newbie.
The problem is that I really want to like them, the workmanship and finishes are excellent, and everything I see and feel when I have them in my hands just feels right. But they don't shave as well as a cheap, poorly finished razor!
Is it just me, or are they just so much more difficult to get to the right degree of sharpness?
Dear Sir unfortunately yours statements are correct. In my opinion Thiers Isard razors don't cut enough well to shave, they are very bad and not doing the service. I could not use because pull and cut skin whatever I could (professional honobg with best stones including!!). I suppose it's a standard issue with anbout all razors coming not sharpened! You must send to the grinder and also in this case it will not do a shave if is bad manufactured! My advice is go for a custom not pricred more than 350€ and with better material of the old C135! Example: K720!
Avoid especially Boker and Dovo!and the rest also! They are not shave ready!!! Yoo will need a grinder service! with no guarantee results!

send 'em all to me.

I like acquiring them at reduced prices.

I will gladly take those terrible french razors from any brother/member. will pay shipping too.

PM for additional details.

camo
Being a bit more experienced, I think the 4/8th's issue is the bevel angle. I have done everything in my experience to give it the best possible chance to impress, but never had a satisfying shave from it.

The other three I own shave ok, but again nothing like some of the Solingen blades I own. Remains a mystery to me, my only suspicion is that the grind is slightly thicker.

Last edited:
Being a bit more experienced, I think the 4/8th's issue is the bevel angle. I have done everything in my experience to give it the best possible chance to impress, but never had a satisfying shave from it.

The other three I own shaves ok, but again nothing like some of the Solingen blades I own. Remains a mystery to me, my only suspicion is that the grind is slightly thicker.

agreed, they certainly are not a thinly ground hollow.......but for.some crazy reason I love them and get comfy shaves from the ones I have.

camo

Dear Sir unfortunately yours statements are correct. In my opinion Thiers Isard razors don't cut enough well to shave, they are very bad and not doing the service. I could not use because pull and cut skin whatever I could (professional honobg with best stones including!!). I suppose it's a standard issue with anbout all razors coming not sharpened! You must send to the grinder and also in this case it will not do a shave if is bad manufactured! My advice is go for a custom not pricred more than 350€ and with better material of the old C135! Example: K720!
Avoid especially Boker and Dovo!and the rest also! They are not shave ready!!! Yoo will need a grinder service! with no guarantee results!

Thiers Issard razors will give a great shave if you have the patience and tools to sharpen them. The Carbonsong C135 steel is very high in carbides and very hard. It is not easy to hone, but once honed properly, it will shave quite well. Just do not expect it to hone as easily as a Gold Dollar razor.

I have still not honed either of my two new TIs, but I just had a wonderfully smooth and close shave with my 7/8 inch Basic Black (I am still rubbing my cheeks :)), and I would definitely buy another TI if I didn't already own two. Just make sure you get one with an even grind - that's all.

My first one had a very wide bevel angle 19.5 and it didn’t shave well at all. I bought another one because so like the style so much and other people have such good reviews. The second one has a 17.8 degree bevel angle and shaves great. I’m glad that I bought another one.

Never say never.

Today I feel generous so I'm fully willing to help. Just send me a PM telling me that you've got TI c135 razors that you don't like and I'll send you my adress. I am fully prepared to free you from the razor(s) without any charge. I'll even pay for the shipping. I'm feeling very genereous today so please don't wait, I might go back to being The Grumpy B*st*rd again.

Today I feel generous so I'm fully willing to help. Just send me a PM telling me that you've got TI c135 razors that you don't like and I'll send you my adress. I am fully prepared to free you from the razor(s) without any charge. I'll even pay for the shipping. I'm feeling very genereous today so please don't wait, I might go back to being The Grumpy B*st*rd again.

you good sir, are guilty of line jumping.

kindly see #46!!!!

can't blame a man though.

camo

I will allow you both to divide the price of goods and shipping between you, on the condition that the razors are sent to me immediately. You'r'e welcome.

Jaco, you're a true gentleman and that is a very kind and extremely generous offer. I do fully understand your feelings regarding when something supposedly great doesn't live up to expectations. I've been there myself too many times.

It takes a man to, like you, to find a positive way forwards. I wish I could help you, but I can't due to three reasons. The first being that the only 14 I own is the one made by Koraat (it's a bit too large to be to my liking), the second one is that I already have eleven TI razors covering every possible TI configuration and more TI razors wouldn't add anything new to me. The third and most important reason though is that I never ever could accept to make such a bargain. I need to know that a trade leaves both parts equally happy. I'm afraid that I'm not very successful as a businessman.

I and Camoloc where just having a bit of fun. I do apologise If I crossed a line. :001_smile
Hey Arne, no offence taken.

A bad workman blames his tools!

We are passionate about our hobby, and when I started this thread I was fairly fresh. Now with a bit of experience I would maybe have named the thread a bit differently, because I know some people can get very defensive when it comes to negative remarks about their babies.

We know the regulars, by name, if not in person and in some ways their personalities. I know enough about you and Camolock to respect your views, even when it doesn't match mine. Life would be dull if we all agreed.

In the few years since I have joined I have seen the environment change, some of the regulars disappeared and new ones emerged. I do understand why some would loose interest because you can only try to answer the same questions so many times before you get bored, and don't bother anymore.

It is important to transfer the knowledge, but it is also important to retain the experience. I have learned so much, and can honestly say that without this forum I would have been lost long ago, because in real life I don't know a single person that shaves with straight razors. I intend to stick around, for a while at least.

Blah, blah, blah....... That the point of it! I remember you pointing this out to someone. That's how you learn. That's how you see that your views are not the only views and learn to respect others.

To end this round of blah, blah, blah, just a final point - Fili 14's are the best and nobody would convince me otherwise!:001_tt2:

There are indeed people that I miss and I do hope they are well
Hey Arne, no offence taken.

A bad workman blames his tools!

We are passionate about our hobby, and when I started this thread I was fairly fresh. Now with a bit of experience I would maybe have named the thread a bit differently, because I know some people can get very defensive when it comes to negative remarks about their babies.

We know the regulars, by name, if not in person and in some ways their personalities. I know enough about you and Camolock to respect your views, even when it doesn't match mine. Life would be dull if we all agreed.

In the few years since I have joined I have seen the environment change, some of the regulars disappeared and new ones emerged. I do understand why some would loose interest because you can only try to answer the same questions so many times before you get bored, and don't bother anymore.

It is important to transfer the knowledge, but it is also important to retain the experience. I have learned so much, and can honestly say that without this forum I would have been lost long ago, because in real life I don't know a single person that shaves with straight razors. I intend to stick around, for a while at least.

Blah, blah, blah....... That the point of it! I remember you pointing this out to someone. That's how you learn. That's how you see that your views are not the only views and learn to respect others.

To end this round of blah, blah, blah, just a final point - Fili 14's are the best and nobody would convince me otherwise!:001_tt2:
Thank you for an excellent post

To tell the truth sometimes it makes me sad thinking about the very nice people I've got to know through B&B, persons that have stopped posting. I still have mail contact with a few of them. I do hope that all the others are well. I miss them and wish them all the best. I don't post as much as I used to do. There are topics that have been discussed so many times that I feel that I already have answered them too many times. Life has changed too. I've got so much on my plate that I no longer have the time to visit B&B as much as I used to. Having stated that I don't see the day when I no longer will be an active member of the straight razor section of B&B. That unless of course my odd sense of humour finally will get me banned.:001_tongu

I successfully touched up a TI for the first time today - my 6/8 Special Coiffeur.

The factory edge was beginning to tug, so I put the razor on my Naniwa 12k* going back and forth with no sign of any swarth. So I just kept going, checking the edge with my loupe. Still no swarth, so I stropped the razor on leather for 100 laps and the edge is just popping hairs.

I will use the razor tomorrow evening and then probably put it on one of my JNATs. All I can say is that C135 sure is different than the other steels I have honed.

*I like to first hone razors new to me on the Naniwa - like a benchmark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I successfully touched up a TI for the first time today - my 6/8 Special Coiffeur.

The factory edge was beginning to tug, so I put the razor on my Naniwa 12k* going back and forth with no sign of any swarth. So I just kept going, checking the edge with my loupe. Still no swarth, so I stropped the razor on leather for 100 laps and the edge is just popping hairs.

I will use the razor tomorrow evening and then probably put it on one of my JNATs. All I can say is that C135 sure is different than the other steels I have honed.

*I like to first hone razors new to me on the Naniwa - like a benchmark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I did the same with a new TI. But I went further with a balsa/paste progression to 0.1µ. The result was a very sharp edge, capable of good HHT results with bulb in. Bulb out is easy for HHT, but getting good results with the bulb in is quite difficult. However, I got my first weeper ever! I hit a bump in the skin and got a very tiny dot of a weeper. So I'm thinking that I will put this TI on my jnat for a smoother edge.

While 4/8 is small by today’s standards, I - like many others - get excellent shaves out of them and what these smaller blades lack in ability to take away large amounts of lather on the flatter parts of my face, they make up with their nimble maneuverability around the corners of my face.

In Belgium you'll find many solingen razors in garage sales and antique markets. Typically they are 6/8 hollow grounds, and very worn at the point by hamfisted honing.

Guess I did things backwards. I learned to hone my razors with coticules and my first razors that I learned to hone were TI's. I didn't find them that difficult to hone at all, but maybe that was because I kept it simple and didn't overthink it with specific stroke counts, dilutions, etc.

And I love TI's and plan on adding several more to my growing collection.

Top Bottom