What's new

Never buying a Thiers Issard again!

Im quite new here, I have no experience so forgive me :) I hate TI..also C.V. Heljestrand..and a few others...I bought maybe 200 razors,mostly well used...And its just a huge pain these razors.Its very difficult to find a bad Japanese razor.Or a Fili.There is always something wrong with the TI.Even its brand new.I cant find fun to spend a whole day to find out whats wrong.Maybe just the lack of experience,but sometimes I just wanna grab a hammer :) :)

I have a vintage TI that was not evenly ground and needed to be reground. And I have a new one that came in with unfinished scales. I had to trim the plastic flash and polish the scales. So I am not a fan. But I find that their sister company, Le Grelot, makes flawless razors at a lower price. Go figure!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have very little SR knowledge, so take this with a grain of salt. I am told the smallest razor that will give a good shave, at least without a lot of skill, is a 5/8. It may be that the 4/8 just isn't a good fit for you.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk
I shave with 4/8 and 9/16 almost exclusively and find them exceptionally easy to shave with. They are extremely light, maneuverable and go where larger blades fear to tread.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have very little SR knowledge, so take this with a grain of salt. I am told the smallest razor that will give a good shave, at least without a lot of skill, is a 5/8. It may be that the 4/8 just isn't a good fit for you.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk
I shave with 4/8 and 9/16 almost exclusively and find them exceptionally easy to shave with. They are extremely light, maneuverable and go where larger blades fear to tread.

Im quite new here, I have no experience so forgive me :) I hate TI..also C.V. Heljestrand..and a few others...I bought maybe 200 razors,mostly well used...And its just a huge pain these razors.Its very difficult to find a bad Japanese razor.Or a Fili.There is always something wrong with the TI.Even its brand new.I cant find fun to spend a whole day to find out whats wrong.Maybe just the lack of experience,but sometimes I just wanna grab a hammer :) :)
Both TI razors and C.V Heljestrand razors require a little more work, but once they are honed right they are one of the best razors ever produced in my opinion. It is unfortunate that some of the TI's have grind and geometry issues, but the German razors are not perfect either. They just take a little less time to correct.
I would gladly take any of these off your hands:)

Guess I did things backwards. I learned to hone my razors with coticules and my first razors that I learned to hone were TI's. I didn't find them that difficult to hone at all, but maybe that was because I kept it simple and didn't overthink it with specific stroke counts, dilutions, etc.

And I love TI's and plan on adding several more to my growing collection.
I also never had any issues honing TI's. I really like how coticules cut this steel. My TI's and C.V Heljestrand are mostly honed on coticules and finished on JNAT's or Arkansas. For me the softer synthetic stones did not as work as well with this steel as the German razors.

My T.I. is my favorite razor, period. It took a little bit of work to get right (sorry spine....) but I have no issues on the stones. I did discover that if there are any "rogue" deep striations I missed earlier in the progression the edge will chip. It just taught me to hone better.

My Ralf Aust was not perfect either. I can see how someone can hate their T.I. but for me the shave does all of the talking. Just pre-ordered a 7/8th half-hollow from PR this morning actually.

As always, YMMV. It's what makes this hobby fun.

Top Bottom