What's new

Too many options, can’t decide on next razor

I’ve ben shaving with a DE89 for several years. I am wanting a new razor. My first thought was man the 6s looks nice and has gotten good reviews. Then I think will I use all those plates. Then I see a Fatboy, and I say yes, an adjustable that’s it. I’ve wanted to try one of those for a while. Or was it the slim I wanted. Then I see the Rex. Hmmm, I don’t know. So I go to the ATT site and see their razors and 5 piece sets. And think maybe I don’t want an adjustable.

Ha ha, I don’t know what I’ll end up with or when, but eventually I’ll get something.
Until then me and the ole EJ I’ll keep chugging along

I really like the R1 plate on the ATT, the Rex and Fatboy both provide excellent shaves, although I prefer the Rex.
I like the 6s best though, and would recommend that one from the ones mentioned.

Just to increase the choices available, many DE users now use single edge especially vintage GEM and Schick injector type. Those would compliment your current took with something different at less than $15 for the razor and the more ridged blades last a long time. Just something to consider.

For something entirely different, like me, others have gotten into using a Feather folding SS shavette with Artist Club blades

I really like the R1 plate on the ATT, the Rex and Fatboy both provide excellent shaves, although I prefer the Rex.
I like the 6s best though, and would recommend that one from the ones mentioned.

Yeah, the 6s was my first choice originally. Do you guys swap plates at any time ( during shave, or as the blade gets used more? I just wondered if I bought it, how much would I actually change plates once I found the right blade/plate combo.

Yeah, the 6s was my first choice originally. Do you guys swap plates at any time ( during shave, or as the blade gets used more? I just wondered if I bought it, how much would I actually change plates once I found the right blade/plate combo.
You probably won’t switch plates much. You’ll probably find one that you like for daily shaving and one that you like when you skip a day or two.

And if you have any other razors you can interchange the bases with the extra ones from the 6S to see what you prefer. Like with the 89.

The ATT would be an excellent choice. I have the r2 plate and it gives a very fine shave. Close and very comfortable and I have never cut myself. It is very well engineered. The razor fits together with great accuracy, no al8gnment problems. As you seem to have the cash for all the plates, go for it.

I have a Rockwell 6C. It's smooth and efficient and boring as hell, and anyway the handle disintegrated.

I find open comb razors so much nicer to use. Obviously a Fatip or a R41. But I'd probably start with a Gillette Old Type. Usually cheap and plentiful on the used market. What I would do is fit a much better handle. I bought a titanium handle from Russia and I love it. Made all the difference. For me a titanium handle is one of the smartest buys in shaving. One handle fits all your usual razor heads, and after that you only need to buy the heads rather than a multitude of other handles which don't perform or feel as nice as titanium does.

You probably won’t switch plates much. You’ll probably find one that you like for daily shaving and one that you like when you skip a day or two.

+1! That has been my experience also. Once I find my setting with an adjustable, that’s where things stay. In the end, this observation led me to focus on 3-piece designs.

You need to try various options to see what suits you best! :a14::a14:

I say go vintage. A Fatboy would be my choice over a Slim, but not by much. If the price makes a difference a Slim is almost the same razor. Super Speeds, Techs, OLDs, and NEWs are also great choices and can be found at very reasonable prices.

Fatboy or Slim are solid choices for vintage.
- I'd stay away from the Black Beauty because it's less user serviceable. That long aluminum handle is imo a terrible material choice.

Modern look at Christopher Bradley Karve, if not the Rockwell 6S or 6C.

Thanks for the comments. I’ve been looking at fat boys on eBay. And also checking ATT to see if they have any in their inventory. I’m not in a hurry

Thanks for the comments. I’ve been looking at fat boys on eBay. And also checking ATT to see if they have any in their inventory. I’m not in a hurry

Karve and ATT allow you to buy just the heads, caps or baseplates, which saves you buying loads of handles. With Rockwell you have to buy the whole system - nothing available separately. Karve and ATT also regularly update their designs - an open comb coming soon from Karve. If you want to go up in quality, get Timeless. But as many of us have said, look at classic Gillettes first. You shouldn't lose much money on them and you can afford to try out one or two.

Fatip makes a razor called the Schone. (Think Mercury and Ford.) The nickel OC Schone is $20-$25. Made in Italy. Brass, then plated. The Schone has a neat handle, fewer teeth. Outstanding razor. Alrossa is the vendor. Also available on Am#zon. You might take a look. :)

Takes a few days to adjust to ANY new razor BTW, so whatever you buy, give it a little time. Have fun.

The way I see it, if you're able to get a fatboy or slim at the usual ebay prices u could easily sell it wo a loss. Not sure the price of an ATT but its above what I would pay for a razor.

I'm happy with my karve, game changer or the vintage gillettes.

Fatip makes a razor called the Schone. (Think Mercury and Ford.) The nickel OC Schone is $20-$25. Made in Italy. Brass, then plated. The Schone has a neat handle, fewer teeth. Outstanding razor. Alrossa is the vendor. Also available on Am#zon. You might take a look. :)

Takes a few days to adjust to ANY new razor BTW, so whatever you buy, give it a little time. Have fun.
I second the Schone . Amazing at twice the price. The shave will put a Fatboy to shame.

Top Bottom