What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

My favourite US Artisan, I don't give a **** about the past. Coconut Oud is my favourite.
CK6 Formula? Well he raised the price up to 24.99 per tub. Okay he put 5oz in now but seriously that is a bit to much.
I do get nothing but excellent performance out of the soap slick creamy lather.

Lime?

truefitt and hill west indian limes art of shaving feather january 7 2019.jpg
shavemac williams merkur futur pinaud lime sec february 26 2016.jpg
english leather lime kent edwin jagger november 9 2015.jpg
castle forbes lime truefitt hill penhaligon feather rudy vey january 31 2015.jpg

For me, P&B has the edge on scents. They're slightly more interesting than OSP.
OSP gives me better post-shave feel though, and as for OSP Barbershop.... wow!

+1

The barbershop is outstanding and my favourite soap!

Highly recommend the bay rum, Sandalwood and the neroli also!

P&B soaps have a more complex scent profile and maybe the edge on slickness and I’d go as far as saying they have the design element nailed too but that’s part and parcel for a family business consisting of a soap maker and a graphic designer

Both excellent artisans with top tier products imo ymmv

Go to dailylather.com and check out the posts about the worst and best companies. PAA is not the only "questionable" company out there but for some reason they are the only one that comes up in conversation.

Ok, that is funny... But,
If it was just a question of something being 'wrong on the internet' then these "I'm so above the drama" comments would be fine, but the concern is about someone who - allegedly - lied about what was / was not in his products (kids with allergies anyone?). That sharp practice seems bolstered by being shown as - allegedly - a liar in many other aspects of his life and business practices.

As I've said - given the maximal benefit of the doubt - it was a series of stupid mistakes that seem largely forgiven, but it is far from drama for the sake of it.

Well I spent a bit of time looking into the back story - seems a few would prefer it to be left alone.

A nice afternoon spent reading the threads, comments and watching some YouTube’s that are still around.

Here in the UK we have a word that describes this guy perfectly - it begins with wanker

Not a person or company I’d have any interest in supporting irrespective of their product offering.

I’m glad this has come up

Hey JonnyBGood!

You are fully entitled to your opinion but what you read is not fully accurate or in context.

The first thing. The whole thing happened in 2014. 5 years have passed and you now have to look at what the artisan has done since then. He has been spending a lot of efforts giving visibility to the wet shaving community, organized countless meet-ups and the like. Not telling you to forget the whole thing but you have to look at the complete story then assess if the guy is really bad or not. I sure made stupid things in my life and I am happy people are not judging me on what I did 30 years ago.

Second, only a few people brought real facts. The rest was mostly speculations or hearsay. A lot of the “facts” got multiplied by people who were not even aware of the situation in the beginning. Some people got their account deleted from few forums because they were suspected being fake account linked to the artisan. Some sketchy stuff was done but not as much as what is reflected in most forums. Some forums were feeding from other forum that were feeding from other forum.

The soaps are good. You are entitled to pass them up if you want to but before you close yourself to a great product line, you may want to look at the full story on the artisan and not just what happened 5 years ago…

Products are diverse and pretty good, if you want to look at shady business practices
just look at most US and global corporations.

I saw this brand for sale in UK and had not seen this soap before. Any comments guys? There are some intriguing scents.How does it compare with other brands .
Are the PAA products expensive in the UK compared to European brands?

The English shaving company has a sale on and they’re about £15 - usually on there at £18.25 which is at the high end for a shaving soap here but probably about right figuring import duty and vat

Hey JonnyBGood!

You are fully entitled to your opinion but what you read is not fully accurate or in context.

The first thing. The whole thing happened in 2014. 5 years have passed and you now have to look at what the artisan has done since then. He has been spending a lot of efforts giving visibility to the wet shaving community, organized countless meet-ups and the like. Not telling you to forget the whole thing but you have to look at the complete story then assess if the guy is really bad or not. I sure made stupid things in my life and I am happy people are not judging me on what I did 30 years ago.

Second, only a few people brought real facts. The rest was mostly speculations or hearsay. A lot of the “facts” got multiplied by people who were not even aware of the situation in the beginning. Some people got their account deleted from few forums because they were suspected being fake account linked to the artisan. Some sketchy stuff was done but not as much as what is reflected in most forums. Some forums were feeding from other forum that were feeding from other forum.

The soaps are good. You are entitled to pass them up if you want to but before you close yourself to a great product line, you may want to look at the full story on the artisan and not just what happened 5 years ago…

I get what your saying.

Thing is I’m not a big fan of the products - the scents, the packaging and design and now I’ve seen the “character” behind the company - well it’s farcical - the thing is that I can see that facade being a huge success in the US. You guys over there lap that stuff up.

To put the character issue into context - i watch one of our English soap artisans do a live shave on Facebook from his kitchen whilst in the middle of moving house - interacting with viewers - there no stupid hat or make believe character at work - just a guy that makes soap having a live shave and talking to the people watching - it’s very real - Unlike Douglas bull**** Smythe and his CIA blah blah blah bull****

I'm more of a cream guy so I haven't sampled any PAA soaps. I am, however, appreciative of the effort PAA has taken to bring to market reasonably-priced clones of some iconic razors, the originals of which are either too scarce, too expensive, or both, for me to ever have an opportunity to acquire.

Not talking about the UK but about germany, we have to pay 25€ that is roughly 28 dollars for a tub of PAA!
And this is only for the ones you can get here as for Cavendish, Gondolier, Harvest Moon, Solstice, Coconut Oud and Dapper Doc, any other soap you have to order via PAA from the US.
Not even talking about the current Formula change in PAA soaps including a new price tag...

General Motors once upon a time bought up trolley companies, converted to buses, then ran them into the ground. Henry Ford financed a newspaper that attacked Jews. VW's origins? Oh, dear.

Not many individuals nor companies are pure as snow.

Anyway, how 'bout them Tigers?

Top Bottom