What's new

Voskhod Comrades Club

I just had another look at my photo in post#26. I would like to point out that the appearance of the phrase "Teflon Coated Nancy Boy" was entirely accidental.

Funny, I ordered 2 of the same sampler packs from the same seller, A lot of good blades come from Russia, where the majority of men still use traditional wet shaving, also found a supplier of Russian shaving creams and balms as these are supposed to be great too.

Take it from me, in Russia only old stubborn people shave old school, nonetheless a big market. After the fall of the USSR the newer generation dropped the Ladas, Shigulis, Volgas and went to Mercedes, BMW and Audis. At the same time they lost their love for DE blades and embraced western multiblade cartridges. My russian girl and her niece laughed at me when they saw me with DE Rapira blades :cursing:

In Russia unless you're a nationalist, you think what's russian is worse and what's western is superior quality.

Take it from me, in Russia only old stubborn people shave old school, nonetheless a big market. After the fall of the USSR the newer generation dropped the Ladas, Shigulis, Volgas and went to Mercedes, BMW and Audis. At the same time they lost their love for DE blades and embraced western multiblade cartridges. My russian girl and her niece laughed at me when they saw me with DE Rapira blades :cursing:

In Russia unless you're a nationalist, you think what's russian is worse and what's western is superior quality.

It is absolutely correct comment. I'm saying this as a Russian living in Moscow. There are no DE blades or DE razors in countless supermarkets in Moscow, but only the most modern cartridges from Gillette or Schick. The only exeption are Auchan hypermarkets, where "Gillette Rubie platinum plus" and "Rapira platinum Lux" are sold. In small hardware stores one can always buy "Gillette Rubie plus", "Sputnik", Rapira, Voskhod or Ladas. There are no Astras or any other brands from P&G factory in St. Petersburg. Other brands sold here are "Schick premium" (made in Solingen), Bic, Feather (not yellow), Korean Dorco and Elios (elios sold in online barber shops only). There is no problem to buy some of them online. Though you will never saw these blades on the shelves of big shops. I recently bought 50 Schicks (20 rubles for 5 blades) and 50 Feathers (40 rubles for 5 blades) in a small marketplace which usually are just rows of small kiosks with different specific goods: cosmetics, bread, fish and so on. These marketplaces are the most probable sites for hunting cheap DE blades at least in Moscow. But shaving creams are everywhere, from Nivea brand to local trademarks and Turkish Arco. It's a pity that shaving stick and soap is impossible to buy in Russia at all. My father told me about a shaving stick recently as if it was the most peculiar thing he could remember from his traditional shaving experience.
By the way, my first shave in 1990 or 1991 was done with a Bic's yellow disposable razor :).
And I forget to mention what kind of gift my father got from me on New Years' Day. (Most people celebrate New Years' Day in former Soviet Russia but not Christmas. And it is the day when presents are made.) It was... Gillette Fusion Proglide.

And here is my picture of Восход:

$Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:
Voskhods are definatly one of the best de blades for me. They are preety smooth and sharp, and not agressive for me. I shave every day and Voskhod gives me a perfect BBS. I can buy them on local market for a about 8 bucks per 100 blades. Photoes post later.

I'm now on to my 4th blade. These things are amazing. Definitely a blade I will be recommending.

Another positive vote for the Voskhods, really nice experience. Somehow I always try Feathers again and always the same result :
Very nice shaving experience and super clean shave but lots of burn and irritation afterwards. Not so with the Voskhods, clean shave but no irritation. Highly recommended.

After a month of testing Rapira Swedes, Ladas, and Personna Supers in various razors, I got back to the Voskhod in a black tip Superspeed last night. Wow! When I've been away from them so long I'm always amazed at how well they shave in any razor I use them. I should just sell all my other blades and get more of these.

One thing about these Voskhods, they shave so close that I could easily skip shaving the next day (but I don't).

Rapira Swedes Vs Voshkods? How do they fare?

Whereas the Voskhod peform wonderfully in every razor I've tried them in, the Rapira Swedes are well matched only in certain razors. The Rapira works well in my Gillette NEW, but in my black tip Superspeed it tends to shred my face. Even in the NEW I have to be careful or I get razor burn. I bought 100 of them from Razor Blades & More when they cleared them out at $8/100 and when they're gone, I won't be buying any more.

I only shaved with 1 Rapira Swede blade, and so far seems to be nothing less than the 7 O'Clock Yellow. Razor was the Ikon OSS. Don't recall if I tested the SB base plate with that blade. I have to buy Voshkods and try them, along with Rapira Platinums and Ladas. They're so cheap on the other side of the iron wall :drool:

It is absolutely correct comment. I'm saying this as a Russian living in Moscow. There are no DE blades or DE razors in countless supermarkets in Moscow, but only the most modern cartridges from Gillette or Schick. The only exeption are Auchan hypermarkets, where "Gillette Rubie platinum plus" and "Rapira platinum Lux" are sold. In small hardware stores one can always buy "Gillette Rubie plus", "Sputnik", Rapira, Voskhod or Ladas. There are no Astras or any other brands from P&G factory in St. Petersburg. Other brands sold here are "Schick premium" (made in Solingen), Bic, Feather (not yellow), Korean Dorco and Elios (elios sold in online barber shops only). There is no problem to buy some of them online. Though you will never saw these blades on the shelves of big shops. I recently bought 50 Schicks (20 rubles for 5 blades) and 50 Feathers (40 rubles for 5 blades) in a small marketplace which usually are just rows of small kiosks with different specific goods: cosmetics, bread, fish and so on. These marketplaces are the most probable sites for hunting cheap DE blades at least in Moscow. But shaving creams are everywhere, from Nivea brand to local trademarks and Turkish Arco. It's a pity that shaving stick and soap is impossible to buy in Russia at all. My father told me about a shaving stick recently as if it was the most peculiar thing he could remember from his traditional shaving experience.
By the way, my first shave in 1990 or 1991 was done with a Bic's yellow disposable razor :).
And I forget to mention what kind of gift my father got from me on New Years' Day. (Most people celebrate New Years' Day in former Soviet Russia but not Christmas. And it is the day when presents are made.) It was... Gillette Fusion Proglide.

And here is my picture of Восход:

View attachment 303387

God knows why but each time I see a pack of Voskhod, I think of

The Hunt for Red October (Sean Connery 1990) ^.^

Top Bottom