What's new

Razor wars - Mühle Rocca R94 versus Mühle R89 RG

A third comparison shave off. This time between the two family members: the Mühle Rocca and Mühle R89.

Mühle Rocca R94

This razor had been on my list for quite some time since starting my DE journey and somehow I have never pulled the trigger to do it. In part because I am already getting great shaves from my R41. In part due to not knowing what I was acquiring if I did. But curiosity was never (far) away. First I had the opportunity for some test runs as @JAHE provided me his Rocca. That solidified my want for this razor. Not acutely, but definitely present. The universe converged last November when I was then able to add this beauty to my collection with eternal thanks to @Trollky.

The R94 is the all stainless version of the Rocca and the cap indicates this is the improved version of the Rocca (see other threads for comparisons between first and subsequent editions). It is well balanced, weighing about 93g and is 105mm tall. I was surprised by the heft of the handle. It is broader than I imagined. Total weight is a non-issue when shaving for me. It is very nimble and responds quite well to directions. I have tried multiple blades with the Rocca and the results were basically the same, although I have to say that the GSB is a far superior blade compared to the Voskhod - for me.

Shaving with the Rocca is amazing. To me it provides R41-type results, but with the mildness of the R89/KCG type of razors. I believe effectiveness can be increased with sharper blades, but the 7 shaves I have had (listed are 3 of those shaves) were all excellent and a joy to experience. There is definitely blade feel to the Rocca and I have never found that blade feel daunting or prone to biting. On the contrary, the Rocca provides a close and safe shave in my opinion. Almost autopilot, but compared to the R89 a little more focus is required. In my mind suitable for beginners and veterans alike. This is not a razor to be afraid of and might actually be a great alternative to the R41 (but there is a price jump obviously when buying the Rocca) if that is too daunting or too harsh. The Rocca is smooth and comfortable. And the Rocca is a safety bar razor that is serious competition for open comb razors (not that they are more effective by definition by the way).

Mühle R89 Rose Gold

To be honest I had no real interest in the R89. I had looked at it at the start of my DE career, but the KCG razor was readily available at a discount and for a dip in the water I found that to be more economical. After joining B&B I learned the R89 and KCG were very similar according to fellow brothers and so I moved on. Fast forward to earlier this year when a R89 rose gold presented itself on a national auction site almost for free and before I knew it I jumped - I wanted some variation to Mühle Mondays and I was indeed curious to know how a staple in the DE shaving world would actually shave like. Because, let's face it - the R89 is practically on everyones search when first starting with DE shaving (or the equivalent DE89). The fact that the handle was the rose gold one was the deciding factor.

According to Geo's website the R89 rose gold weighs 62g with an overall height at 95mm. As with the Rocca I was again surprise by the width of the handle. I expected it to be smaller, but am glas it is actually not. Feels great and comfortable in hand. A solid razor even though the handle is hollow (which is also the case with the Rocca by the way).

Shaving is a delight. Smooth, simple, gives a lot of confidence and the angle is quite wide so this is a razor that provides something for all types - steep or shallow. Despite reading other reviews I had the impression (but I need a shave to check) that this razor is actually very different from the KCG razor. Easy DFS++/BBS levels whereas this was the initial struggle I had with the KCG that lead me to try out other razors. The KCG is a four pass razor for me whereas this R89 shines within 3 passes and a touch up. Really nice. An excellent razor for beginner and veteran in my mind that can give you a smooth result while being in autopilot mode.

Summary of results

DateRazorBladeQualityComfortEffectiveness
Rocca R94GSB (10)10109
06.12.2023Rocca R94Voskhod (1)10108
07.12.2023Rocca R94Voskhod (2)9108.5
R89Gillette SS (3)10108
12.12.2023R89Gillette SS (4)10108
13.12.2023R89Gillette SS (5)9108.5
SummaryRocca R94
SummaryR89

Notes

The Rocca outperforms the R89 almost any time, but they are much more similar than I imagined. I have listed the last three shaves, but earlier shaves were more towards BBS- levels. That said the R89 is still a good addition to the den, especially for those quick shaves if you are pressed for time and still want to look presentable. The Rocca can do that too, but also requires a bit more attention. If you have that time and a fresh blade the Rocca can achieve DFS levels in 2 passes or 2 passes and a touch up. That is something I cannot achieve with the R89.

Mühle has delivered two razors that deserve a place in the shaving history books or hall of razor fame if you will. Looking forward to many more shaves with these two!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Don’t make me buy the Rocca! I’ve been getting great shaves with the r41 and RR Lupo. Don’t make me do it!
Nobody is forcing you to buy the Rocca, we are just pointing out that you could be missing out on some of the best shaves of your life by not having one. Just because I find it more comfortable and better performing than the Lupo or the R41 doesn't mean you're going to find it better too. And please don't feel that having 75 years experience gives Muhle any more insight into making shaving gear than a company that's been producing gear for five minutes. Just to make sure you don't buy one I suggest you definitely don't go anywhere near the Rocca Brotherhood because the last thing anyone in your position needs is all those tempting pictures and descriptions of excellent shaves time after time. It's also best that you don't know that there is a matching brush and stand available because...
...you know once you get one you just have to get the set
IMG_20230929_142231.jpg

A third comparison shave off. This time between the two family members: the Mühle Rocca and Mühle R89.

Mühle Rocca R94

This razor had been on my list for quite some time since starting my DE journey and somehow I have never pulled the trigger to do it. In part because I am already getting great shaves from my R41. In part due to not knowing what I was acquiring if I did. But curiosity was never (far) away. First I had the opportunity for some test runs as @JAHE provided me his Rocca. That solidified my want for this razor. Not acutely, but definitely present. The universe converged last November when I was then able to add this beauty to my collection with eternal thanks to @Trollky.

The R94 is the all stainless version of the Rocca and the cap indicates this is the improved version of the Rocca (see other threads for comparisons between first and subsequent editions). It is well balanced, weighing about 93g and is 105mm tall. I was surprised by the heft of the handle. It is broader than I imagined. Total weight is a non-issue when shaving for me. It is very nimble and responds quite well to directions. I have tried multiple blades with the Rocca and the results were basically the same, although I have to say that the GSB is a far superior blade compared to the Voskhod - for me.

Shaving with the Rocca is amazing. To me it provides R41-type results, but with the mildness of the R89/KCG type of razors. I believe effectiveness can be increased with sharper blades, but the 7 shaves I have had (listed are 3 of those shaves) were all excellent and a joy to experience. There is definitely blade feel to the Rocca and I have never found that blade feel daunting or prone to biting. On the contrary, the Rocca provides a close and safe shave in my opinion. Almost autopilot, but compared to the R89 a little more focus is required. In my mind suitable for beginners and veterans alike. This is not a razor to be afraid of and might actually be a great alternative to the R41 (but there is a price jump obviously when buying the Rocca) if that is too daunting or too harsh. The Rocca is smooth and comfortable. And the Rocca is a safety bar razor that is serious competition for open comb razors (not that they are more effective by definition by the way).

Mühle R89 Rose Gold

To be honest I had no real interest in the R89. I had looked at it at the start of my DE career, but the KCG razor was readily available at a discount and for a dip in the water I found that to be more economical. After joining B&B I learned the R89 and KCG were very similar according to fellow brothers and so I moved on. Fast forward to earlier this year when a R89 rose gold presented itself on a national auction site almost for free and before I knew it I jumped - I wanted some variation to Mühle Mondays and I was indeed curious to know how a staple in the DE shaving world would actually shave like. Because, let's face it - the R89 is practically on everyones search when first starting with DE shaving (or the equivalent DE89). The fact that the handle was the rose gold one was the deciding factor.

According to Geo's website the R89 rose gold weighs 62g with an overall height at 95mm. As with the Rocca I was again surprise by the width of the handle. I expected it to be smaller, but am glas it is actually not. Feels great and comfortable in hand. A solid razor even though the handle is hollow (which is also the case with the Rocca by the way).

Shaving is a delight. Smooth, simple, gives a lot of confidence and the angle is quite wide so this is a razor that provides something for all types - steep or shallow. Despite reading other reviews I had the impression (but I need a shave to check) that this razor is actually very different from the KCG razor. Easy DFS++/BBS levels whereas this was the initial struggle I had with the KCG that lead me to try out other razors. The KCG is a four pass razor for me whereas this R89 shines within 3 passes and a touch up. Really nice. An excellent razor for beginner and veteran in my mind that can give you a smooth result while being in autopilot mode.

Summary of results

DateRazorBladeQualityComfortEffectiveness
Rocca R94GSB (10)10109
06.12.2023Rocca R94Voskhod (1)10108
07.12.2023Rocca R94Voskhod (2)9108.5
R89Gillette SS (3)10108
12.12.2023R89Gillette SS (4)10108
13.12.2023R89Gillette SS (5)9108.5
SummaryRocca R94
SummaryR89

Notes

The Rocca outperforms the R89 almost any time, but they are much more similar than I imagined. I have listed the last three shaves, but earlier shaves were more towards BBS- levels. That said the R89 is still a good addition to the den, especially for those quick shaves if you are pressed for time and still want to look presentable. The Rocca can do that too, but also requires a bit more attention. If you have that time and a fresh blade the Rocca can achieve DFS levels in 2 passes or 2 passes and a touch up. That is something I cannot achieve with the R89.

Mühle has delivered two razors that deserve a place in the shaving history books or hall of razor fame if you will. Looking forward to many more shaves with these two!
You mentioned the difference in the KCG and the R89. That is correct. The Heritage has the Muhle head, the KCG comes with what could be a Merkur head.

I started my wetshaving experience: hobby whit a R89 about 3 years ago. The Rocca is one of my favourite razors, but the R89 is also a favourite again, as I rediscovered it a couple of
Months ago. The R41 is also a very nice razor. I’m thinking of replacing my R41 normal version, for a stainless variant

The Rocca is excellent and definitely a solid buy for folks in Europe. I never really gelled with mine, but now it's gone I kinda miss it.

I never found it particularly aggressive. I have no idea what the measurements are, but looking at it, I would say its efficiency comes more from exposure than blade gap. It takes some adjusting to, but once you understand how it wants to shave, it's a low drama razor.

I suspect you can pay a lot more and not get a better shave - I have even come across instances on a UK forum where folks compare it favourably to some much more expensive US razors.

once you understand how it wants to shave, it's a low drama razor.
Absolutely. I deliberately used it a number of days to find out. And @Jay21 also gave a great suggestion on using. Loving it so far.
I suspect you can pay a lot more and not get a better shave
This, James, is actually what keeps me straight at the moment and it’s something we should remember from time to time. I still have razors on and off the list - mostly mega aggressive ones - but one of my more recent purchases was actually less effective than I thought. Still a beautiful razor and I like it for multiple reasons, but being more effective than others is not one of them.

That said, this R89 fits that category and yet it surprised me in its effectiveness. Wouldn’t have known without pressing the buy button…ah the faith of shave crazies…

I just recently started DE shaving. My first one was the R89 in rose gold. It's a beautiful and easy to handle shaver for a beginner such as myself. I also got the Rocca with the birch bark handle. I find that loading the blade is very easy, as it is aligned from the get go, the design is absolutely beautiful and the shaves are exceptional. It requires more concentration on the task at hand, as the Rocca will punish any lapse in focus. But the best "feature" of the Rocca is the "singing blade". There is a very particular sound as the blade cuts those whiskers, which is almost melodic and very different from the R89. I do love both shavers and can recommend them to beginners and veterans alike...just make sure to respect the Rocca if you are just starting out. I certainly do.

I just recently started DE shaving. My first one was the R89 in rose gold. It's a beautiful and easy to handle shaver for a beginner such as myself. I also got the Rocca with the birch bark handle. I find that loading the blade is very easy, as it is aligned from the get go, the design is absolutely beautiful and the shaves are exceptional. It requires more concentration on the task at hand, as the Rocca will punish any lapse in focus. But the best "feature" of the Rocca is the "singing blade". There is a very particular sound as the blade cuts those whiskers, which is almost melodic and very different from the R89. I do love both shavers and can recommend them to beginners and veterans alike...just make sure to respect the Rocca if you are just starting out. I certainly do.
Welcome to B&B! And you are off to a good start with those two razors! I would even say that you are all settled for now - as you work your way through your technique. Way to go.

Enjoy those shaves and please feel free to reach out in case of questions and other queries.

Cheers,

Guido.

Good stuff @Guido75 . I have both razors too, and like them both. For everyday shaving the R89 (or R106 in my case) is a superb razor.
If you step up a bit in quality, looks and efficiency, the Rocca is the way to go. In earlier days I didn't really liked the looks of it, but now I do. Superb looking razor.

So with me, both razors have taken their place in my drawers and I use them both just as often.

View media item 73470
View media item 73453

The first classic shaver I bought was the R89. After only a few shaves, I knew this was not going to be my razor. It seemed to me extremely soft and not aggressive, in fact softer, even than mass, plastic razors.
This made me take the leap, directly to the other extreme R41 GS (steel version, more aggressive than stock).
Contrary to all the reviews I had read about horror and bloodbaths, they did not live up to it at all. From the very first shave, everything went very smoothly, and the end result was simply amazing. Totally BBS, exactly how I imagined it should be with this shaving method. Shaving with the R41, not only gives a perfect BBS, but for a very long time, all day long, I have no stubble. Compared to R89, after 4-5 hours I can feel the new stubble all over my face.
Even my colleagues who had never been interested in shaving noticed the change in shaving. Soon I was asked if I had powder or blush on my face because no hairs were visible. No, they're just deep under the skin.
More than a month ago, I also became the owner of a Rocca R94, which I only bought because it was on sale during Black Friday 54€. But I haven't even tried it yet because at this point, I really like the way the R41 GS shaves and I don't want to miss a single shave with it. Maybe when I get bored I'll try the Rocca R94 as well. However, it is too early for that to happen.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The first classic shaver I bought was the R89. After only a few shaves, I knew this was not going to be my razor. It seemed to me extremely soft and not aggressive, in fact softer, even than mass, plastic razors.
This made me take the leap, directly to the other extreme R41 GS (steel version, more aggressive than stock).
Contrary to all the reviews I had read about horror and bloodbaths, they did not live up to it at all. From the very first shave, everything went very smoothly, and the end result was simply amazing. Totally BBS, exactly how I imagined it should be with this shaving method. Shaving with the R41, not only gives a perfect BBS, but for a very long time, all day long, I have no stubble. Compared to R89, after 4-5 hours I can feel the new stubble all over my face.
I could have written that, I started with the R89 and just couldn't get the shave I wanted from it. Jumped to the R41 and used it exclusively for years. After that, B&B and many good razors, some not so good. But the R41 is still top, I just miss the daily/regular practice of shaving with it, so I have to be more careful now than back in the R41-days. You might also like the large gapped WR2 clones, they also give a great shave.

But the best "feature" of the Rocca is the "singing blade". There is a very particular sound as the blade cuts those whiskers, which is almost melodic and very different from the R89.
Most razors with some blade exposure will do this with thick whiskers. It is similar to flexing a handsaw and then tapping the side of the saw body!

I get the most "music" with about 2 to 3 days of whisker growth. More or less doesn't generally 'sing' for me.

Top Bottom