What's new

The B&B Gentleman's Athletic Club

I am on the third month of a modified circuit program starting off with 25 min of cardio do a set of five different exercises then five minutes cardio and repeat three times.

Upper body day I do upper body with shoulder press, dumbbell press, lat pull down, biceps, triceps, lots of ab crunches and squats while olding an Olympic Curl Bar over my head. Lower body day, same amount of cardio with the five minute interlude between sets, walking lunges with dumbells (up to 30 lb a side), Deadlifts, leg press, ab crunches and 25 push ups per set.

I started this back in December tweaking along the way and only just in the past three weeks I have been really able to push myself. Most of January I was sidelined with a nasty cold.

To date, I am feeling more toned, the gut does not show visible signs of shrinking however the belts and pants don't feel quite as tight. The other big pluses with this workout is I keep my heart rate up and it does not take as long as my old workout regime where I kept the cardio and weights seperate.

Ok men, we are officially out of excuses:

For what its worth, I had a portion of my lung removed the last week in November '09. I ran 3 miles this morning, (not walked or crawled, did that starting out 2 1/2 weeks ago). I'll be back to my normal 5 by hopefully the middle or end of next month.

Pretty f-ing impressive, if you ask me!

Had a really fun OC-1 race down Kalapana way from Pohoiki to Kehena on Satuday. Came in 2nd in my age group (19-49yrs) which was surprising to me. Kehena has become quite the clothing optional beach over the years and most of the naked hippies seemed to give us rather indignant looks when we landed our fleet en-force.

Here's a pic from Kehena beach after the end of the 8 mile short course run.

circuit training with the gym boss 10 sec "rest" 20 sec work.

4 exercises back to back per set

1. elevated push ups on exercise ball with push up bars regular grip
2. elevated push ups on exercise ball with push up bars wide grip
3. incline chest press on exercise ball
4. jumping squats with 2 sec pause on the down motion

repeat for three sets, then abs done in the same timing back to back for 3 sets of the following

1. ab crunches on exercise ball
2. jackknifes on exercise ball
3. Mountain climbers advanced

I'd better catch up with my postings. On Saturday, I went to the gym and did 30 min on a new elliptical/stair hybrid machine, then continued with my Rippetoe inspired workout. I did squats and bench, and fit in some pull ups, dips and abs.

Yesterday, I dusted off my trail shoes and went for a brisk 3 mile run through the woods.

Oh man....I just jumped 15 lbs:cursing:. I still fit into a 34 pair of Wranglers but it's not pretty. Man Im so disappointed!

Traveling is killing me. That's it it's on.

Mon/Wed/Fri I do pullups, pushups & freeform lunges preceded by stretching.
Tue/Th/Sat I do bagwork, speedball & spar, followed by hillsprints or stairclimbs.
Sun - I eat something fried.

I've dropped 25 lbs so far and am down 4 inches. I'm doing weights on T&TH. On MWF I do the Couch to 5k where I'm on week 3.

Man, you guys are inspiring.

A few weeks ago I started doing 30 minutes on an elliptical at a high level (looking to burn around 400 calories each time) 3-4 times per week. When my work is consistent, it's easy to be consistent with exercising...but when I don't have much (I'm a substitute teacher at the moment), it's tough.

So...today I started my official burpee regimen. These things kick my butt, and though I'm not sure their potential for calorie-burning, if I'm not toned in a month I'm going to get a freaking trainer! :biggrin1:

I had very little time to workout today, but my wife and I still managed to hit the gym. I just barely got my Rippetoe-mandated workout done in time to do some abs. Today was squats, shoulder press and deadlift. The plan now is to run before work tomorrow morning.

Can someone recommend me a program for muscular endurance? Not looking to bulk up so much anymore but to be able to go without getting tired after 10 seconds of movement. Know what I'm sayin'?

I try to keep the same routine Monday through Saturday, though I was sidelined with a bit of a cold today. Usually I get up early before class and run between 4 and 6 miles, depending on my mood, followed by four sets of 25 push ups and the same number of decline weighted crunches, Russian twists, and 8-count body builders. This leaves me time to have a nice luxurious shave each morning :001_smile

Every Monday, Wednesday, Friday I do high rep, 75-80% of my max weight lifts to augment my morning runs. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday I usually do 90 minutes of Bikram Yoga to work on flexibility and core strength; as well as clearing my mind after the end of a long day.

Sunday I relax and let my body wind down. I'll go to Mass, occasionally do another session of Bikram, but not always. I try to use Sunday to read a book unrelated to the practice/study of law, cook something new, spend quality time with my dog after a school week's worth of neglect, watch a film, or when it isn't craptacular outside like it is now (thank you Nebraska winters) I'll go to a park and just sit and enjoy the sights and smells.

Throughout the whole week I eat well, drink lots of water, all that jazz. The easiest way I've found to stay on a regimen like mine is to have a set "cheat" day each week. So on Sunday, while I'm enjoying my very blessed life, I eat something that I normally wouldn't, have a cigar and scotch or a few glasses of wine, whatever - because I know the next morning I'll easily burn it all off, and that little bit of down time is my reward for kicking my own *** all week long.

Though I must say I've never been one for "bulk", instead I try to stay as lean and toned as I can - law school unfortunately adds more pounds than your standard college/freshman "15" since you sit around for ~12 hours a day reading and snacking, plus I've gotta look good in my suits right gents lol :001_tt2:

I just want to follow that up, after thinking about it for a second, that I should qualify what I mean by "eat well." I try to avoid overly processed items, fast food, things with ingredients I can't pronounce, etc. That isn't to say I eat like a rabbit all week, far from it. I love food of all kinds, and being Italian, well there's a lot of pasta, seafood, garlic, wine, and meat in my diet. I also am a sucker for Indian and Japanese food. The trick, at least in my view, is to eat items that without HFCS or man-made preservatives. But yeah, I let go and indulge now and then, but eating "natural" items, doesn't mean you have to eat cardboard or lettuce all day.

For example, Tuesday's dinner was homemade pasta (thanks mom), tomato sauce I made over the course of two days (yeah, it's that good) with lots of fresh garlic, red wine, yellow squash, sauteed shrimp and mussels, and diced olives in the sauce, a glass of the wine for me, a wedge of fresh parmesan to grate, a mediterranean style salad, and a french loaf of bread.

Healthy, heck yes. Bland, oh heck no. And since it's 5am, it's time to go run all that deliciousness off!

Went to the gym before work and did day 2 of week 3 of the C25k. I had been wanting to get a pair of Nike Lunar Glide running shoes and when I got home from work yesterday, they were there. Tomorrow I'll be on the weights.

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of climbing shoes and where I might order them from?

I've recently discovered the tread-wall at my gym and running shoes really don't cut it for this device. This machine is awesome though! You can set a distance or timed climb, the angle of the wall, and the speed at which the wall moves. Then you climb, climb, climb! The first day I set it for 1000' at a pretty steep angle and I darn near blew a gasket!

Check REI or a similar outdoors store. They will have climbing shoes. Mine are black diamond, but I haven't used them in about 3 years. :(

Top Bottom