What's new

December 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

December GRUME mission completed
Last shave of the year consisted of

Pre-Shave: Hot Face Wash
Razor Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Wilkinson Sword
Brush: Boti Captain SHD Silvertip Badger
Soap: SV Manna Di Sicilia

Post-Shave: Alum Block
SV Manna Di Sicilia AS Splash
Floid The Genuine Vetyver Splash ASB

Wonderful way to close out December GRUME and 2023. We did it fellas, excepting those that fell by the wayside. Onto 2024 and January’s GRUME niow and start as you mean to go on 💪💪💪💪

BB3F81AA-47A8-4D80-9DD4-114FAC85D353.jpeg

Day 31, 100% complete ✓

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat (Tallow)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #8
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Back to MWF, with a dash of glycerine. I was too lazy to change the blade, but it worked acceptably on shave 8, getting me a comfortable near-BBS.

Happy New Year, and I'll see some of you over on the January GRUME thread.

Still out...

View attachment 1771144

Based on a discussion in another thread, I decided to pick up the Timeless Bronze OC for another outing. Following @Jack Goossen's theorem, I loaded a fresh Feather into this highly aggressive razor (and it really is an aggressive one, it bites out of nowhere, just like that).

Two days worth of growth. The Feather blade combined with a strictly shallow shaving angle smoothed out the high blade feel to an acceptable level (still high enough). But unfortunately it didn't stop the Bronze beast from biting me repeatedly. I applied an ultra-light touch, but still butchered my neck with a couply of tiny weepers (the AS was pretty stinging). No cuts though. Maybe it's just the curvature of my skin that makes the razor bite, because my technique hasn't let up today. I called it a day after two passes (wtg/atg on the face; wtg/xtg on the neck).

It's fair to say I haven't mastered this razor yet, and I just don't know if I ever will... ordering the .38 baseplate last month perhaps confirmed my defeat, if you will.

Have some great shaves, Gentlemen!

Cheers
Guido

PS: Brian, is the 2024 January GRUME thread already up? 😜 @FoolishMortal
I would not dare presuming I could give you any advice, but you will prbably master it if you use it for a month. The way we shave requires even more subtle adjustments to angle, pressure and touch than sane people could appreciate. FYI: I dislike the Feather.

Out. Curses foiled again.............had to have the .95 base plate for the new Timeless & the shorter barber pole handle.
I have really enjoyed all the interaction with all here and wish all a healthy and prosperous new year.
Awgeez - right at the finish line! Well, I hope you got a good deal on the base plate and handle, and I hope they both increase your shaving joy through the new year. Please do let us know how they work for you.

And when a brother falls, for the last time in 2023 and for posterity, we need a...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTMC
2) Guido75 - SOTMC - out (12/: Mamba list)
3) @mcee_sharp
4) @Doti B
5a) @midwestshaver71 - NOT out (GRUYERE Rule*)
5b) @Bsamps
6) @Chef455 - GRUYERE
7) @La Malice - SOTMC, Decemboar, GRUYERE
8a) @Beto Salatini
8b) @Calyshaver
9) @LJBraaten - GRUYERE
10) Tulsa1977 - out (12/25: BST Soaps)
11) @JKaboom
12) @Multum in parvo
13) JAHE - out (12/7: 2 Horses)
14) awk_m4 - out (12/12: AL13M)
15) @iver
16) @Snowman94
17) @Aubrey87
18) @Jayson74
19) @ChriWilson
20) Pyrate - out (12/31: Timeless bits & bobs)
21) Markdad2 - out (12/4: PIF)
22) @tjsgarden - Decemboar
23) @Submariner
24) Balin - out (12/13: Old GSBs )
25) @den fly - SOTMC
26) @hopper_64
27) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
28) @BobbyB
29) @Roedeer - 365er
30) @Jack Goossen

Top Bottom