What's new

The B&B Gentleman's Athletic Club

I started in January being 5'10 215 and not looking like I weighed 215.

I just weighed myself yesterday and weigh 230 and am starting to look like I might be close to weighing 200.

I don't really care what I weigh, I just wanna look like I weigh it. I wanna have a nice chest and back, thick and cut arms, tight abs, and my lower back to shrink. I played hockey for years so my lower body has alot of mass on it but no real cut and definement into it.

I am doing full body workouts 3 times a week consisting of the following:

4 lower body exercises, 8 upper body exercises with 2 sets each. Upper body more free weights, heavy weight, more rest in between sets. Lower body with lighter weights, more reps, and 30 secs rest in between sets.

I was doing great for almost three months until this week when I got sick. I have been sick since monday and I have been to the gym since and it's killing me.

Went for a nice four mile trail run today. It's getting hot now--it was over 90 when I hit the woods--and I was really feeling it. Even so, it was a beautiful day to be out.

First day back after a long week off with being sick

2 sets of MMF

Leg Extension
ATG (*** to ground) squats
Seated Leg curl
Seated Calf raise
Pulldown
Barbell Row
Incline Barbell Bench
Dumbell Flies
Dip Machine
Dumbell shoulder Press
Barbell 21's curls
Weighted crunches.

Gents, Id hate to bring up an old thread but I could use some help.
Im 210 lbs 5'11" with a BMI of 29.3, Im 19 y/o btw.
Ive been walking a little over 2 miles everyday for the the past couple weeks and have been watching what I eat but Im not really seeing any progress. What Id really like to do is get rid of the "beer-belly" type of gut Ive had for most of my life. Ive also tried going on daily runs and doing some pushups but with a lack of immediate results I get discouraged and stop after a few days. Any advice?

Ive been walking a little over 2 miles everyday for the the past couple weeks and have been watching what I eat but Im not really seeing any progress. What Id really like to do is get rid of the "beer-belly" type of gut Ive had for most of my life. Ive also tried going on daily runs and doing some pushups but with a lack of immediate results I get discouraged and stop after a few days. Any advice?

Looks like a thread I need to get involved in too...Sid, you might want to check out Michael Thurmond's Extreme Makeover...I started a couple of months ago...besides having high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes, I've also had a stent put in so I really need to drop the weight for my health...I'm 5'7", and when I started I weighed 222 pounds, with a BMI of 34.8...I'd like to say I've been doing the program seriously as I probably would have lost all the weight I needed to loose by now, but even using it hap-hazardly, I've lost 14 pounds so far, down to 208, with a BMI of 32.6...I really need to get down to about 155 to get my BMI under 25...the Thurmond program includes walking (or cycling, including exer-cycling) daily, resistance band exercises for toning (20 minutes, twice a week), and eating healthy...it's low salt, low fat, and low carbs, lotsa veggies, fruit, and lean proteins, pretty much what what the human body should be eating anyways...6 small meals a day, plus two to three quarts of water...not only do you not feel hungry, sometimes I can't even eat all of the days rations...I just need to get more serious about it, but I'm happy with the 14 pound loss so far, as that's better than anything else I've done in several years, and will be continuing, so I'm hoping to drop another 40 to 50 pounds...good luck to you too, in your endeavor to get your weight under control...

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Neuromancer. My dad recently got a stent put in too and he's been making sure to keep everything under control, lost about 10 pounds so far. Im trying to find more recreational ways of losing the weight because Im not a fan of "do x minutes of this y times per week" types of excercise. I dont have the discipline to stick with that, I need something more entertaining :lol:
I hope you can succeed too - your progress shows youre doing something right. We will all get through this together!

First you need to get over the idea of seeing immediate results. Not going to happen. You didn't put that weight on in a couple weeks and you're not going to lose it that fast either.

Then you have to decide how important losing weight and being healthy is to you. If you're not willing to make it a priority then there isn't a diet or exercise plan in the world that will work, because this isn't something you can just do for a couple months, it's a lifelong commitment.

The upside is once you've made the commitment, the work itself isn't actually that hard. Diet is the biggest component. Watch what you eat, count calories if you want to be exact, but the important thing is to be aware of what and how much you're eating. Weight loss all comes down to calories in vs. calories out, and it's a lot easier to skip that double cheeseburger than it is to burn it off with cardio.

As far as exercise goes, find something you enjoy. If you can't do that, find something you can tolerate. I recommend lifting weights in addition to cardio so you can hold on to as much muscle as possible while losing weight, but if all you care about is shedding pounds it's certainly not necessary.

Set realistic six month goals for yourself, then after you've reached those, set new goals for six months from then. Always be working toward something.

These are the things that helped me when I decided to finally get serious about getting healthy, hopefully they'll help you too.

Last edited:
First you need to get over the idea of seeing immediate results. Not going to happen. You didn't put that weight on in a couple weeks and you're not going to lose it that fast either.

Then you have to decide how important losing weight and being healthy is to you. If you're not willing to make it a priority then there isn't a diet or exercise plan in the world that will work, because this isn't something you can just do for a couple months, it's a lifelong commitment.

The upside is once you've made the commitment, the work itself isn't actually that hard. Diet is the biggest component. Watch what you eat, count calories if you want to be exact, but the important thing is to be aware of what and how much you're eating. Weight loss all comes down to calories in vs. calories out, and it's a lot easier to skip that double cheeseburger than it is to burn it off with cardio.

As far as exercise goes, find something you enjoy. If you can't do that, find something you can tolerate. I recommend lifting weights in addition to cardio so you can hold on to as much muscle as possible while losing weight, but if all you care about is shedding pounds it's certainly not necessary.

Set realistic six month goals for yourself, then after you've reached those, set new goals for six months from then. Always be working toward something.

These are the things that helped me when I decided to finally get serious about getting healthy, hopefully they'll help you too.

+100

- 65% Diet and 35% exercise. When you eat fat your body can store fat.
- Don't set unrealistic goals ie 10kgs in 10weeks etc as you will be setting yourself up for failure.
- You only goal should be to eat better and exercise more.
- Don't eat less - eat better and eat more often so you stoke the fire within (Your metabolism)
- Drink more water. Between 2 and 3 L a day.
- Find an exercise you can tolerate and even better one that you enjoy.

From there you will get results but you need discipline and you need to scrap the words "I can't" from your vocab...

Good luck with your goals. If you start a journal and track your progress you will see the story getting told

In addition to the other good comments,

I hate to use the "T-word" (that's "training"), but you might try keeping track of input & output trends with the tools at Training Peaks(both free or paid versions exist). Take an evening where you'd be posting on B&B and setup an account, put in some basic meals you eat (or decide that you'll eat regular, predictable meals (which don't have to be boring, just consistent)), and track what you eat for a week. If you do this, you'll have a hard number as to the caloric deficit or surplus of a regular week (FWIW, I did exactly this, and while it is a PITA, if you do it you'll learn much).

Afterward, you don't have to be exact with the calorie counting, but reasonably close (e.g., within 100 (one snack) or so). If you eat 2000 calories worth of good food in a day and factor in resting metabolism, you can get a decent plan together, wherein you exercise and burn enough calories to have a net deficit every day. It doesn't have to be huge, but a couple hundred a day adds up...The nice part is that Training Peaks does shiny graphs for you, so while you may not see immediate results, you'll see the direction you're trending. What's more, you might just find that by observing what you're eating, you exert influence over your diet (I certainly did) to make the numbers look better....:thumbup: I'm down 13 pounds from New Year's eve (now 27 years, 5'9", 137#) and still trying to find my racing-weight.

Also, you might try substituting Quinoa for white rice in your diet. Prepare it basically the same and enjoy more vitamins, protein and texture.

Best of luck!

Mini update: Ive REALLY been watching what I eat lately. Taking in small portions, eating slowly - actually savoring my meals for the first time. I was pushed to go to a buffet while on a family trip but still managed to keep my cool. I just sampled everything I was interested in, left most of the scraps on the plate, and left with a neutral-full feeling. I never really made a habit of wasting food, but all my friends that are fit leave a considerable amount of leftovers when we dine. My gameplan atm is to do the same.

Good on ya, remember consistency is the key.

A few tips that have helped my family and friends on similar quests:

• Don't ever skip breakfast
  • Eat only fruit for "snacks" in between meals
  • If you are a starch or carb lover, try to eat those types of food with breakfast and lunch but not dinner
  • Don't eat late dinners, give your body time to burn off the meal before your metabolism turns off for the night

Keep your eyes on the prize!
:001_cool:

I finally had to do it! Yup, had to go and buy size 40 pants:(. I started my current job at 189 pounds and wanted to get to 165, now am back up to 242 on a 5'8 frame, sitting here watching the P90X INFOMERCIAL and have a friend and his wife who have done it for years. Just checked the athletic club by the house two days ago about membership and fees. They have EVERYTHING there, but still $120 joining fee, then $75/month!!! That's like $900/year!!!***?? Question- Who here has done this program and stuck with it beyond the 90 days? My friend and his wife are now "coache" so they have a vested interest in trying to get people to buy this, i want an unbiased opinion please. C'mon guys, help a FAT brother out!!! Happy St. pat's day!!:)

Top Bottom