What's new

TECH Tuesday

Used a tech today for tech Tuesday loaded with a Gillette Yellow. First pass went well, felt very little stubble reduction, but was very smooth..second pass smooth, but cut myself near my jawline! I never get weepers or cuts and here I am with one of the mildest razors and BAM...get a cut...I blame myself though...I'm sure for using the R41 as my primary razor for the last 5-6 weeks that I applied more pressure to the tech when I wasn't feeling and getting the stubble reduction I have come to expect.

I finished off my passes with a R41 loaded with a derby....

I will try again next Tuesday and see if my tech experience improves....

I feel your pain. This was the first time that I used this contract Tech. Loaded it with a Yellow (I either choose a feather or Yellow with any Tech). This type of tech was so smooth and had a steeper angle of attach. So, I applied a little pressure and yup, got a little weeper under my lip. Nothing big but there is variation in techs and in using other razors, especially if you're weening off from an R41.

For the first Tech Tuesday my first shave of the day post and photograph. Albeit a photo of poor quality.
The Tech is one of my favorite razors and the razor that I learned DE shaving with.

In the midst of other shaving gear my trusty British aluminum handled Tech loaded with a Supermax super stainless.

Attachments

• $IMG_4175.JPG
    $IMG_4175.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 409
For the first Tech Tuesday my first shave of the day post and photograph. Albeit a photo of poor quality.
The Tech is one of my favorite razors and the razor that I learned DE shaving with.

In the midst of other shaving gear my trusty British aluminum handled Tech loaded with a Supermax super stainless.

thats a gorgous brush.

Had my 3rd shave w/ a new fat handle Tech that is supposed to be 40's w/ no box. This razor is in like new shape w no serial numbers and I have no idea if I paid too much for it (more than $7) but I love the way this shaves so far with a Feather yellow. New to all of this, but I really like this razor a lot. Very simple and easy to use. Smoother with each successive shave. That's my take....

Thank you all for making the first TECH Tuesday a whopping success!!! Some of you it will take a few times to re adjust to such a mild shaver. Please be sure to revisit us at least by next week's TECH Tuesday. Remember that your welcome to chime in any time!

Thank's all!!!

Welcome to B&B and welcome to TECH Tuesday's.

Had my 3rd shave w/ a new fat handle Tech that is supposed to be 40's w/ no box. This razor is in like new shape w no serial numbers and I have no idea if I paid too much for it (more than $7) but I love the way this shaves so far with a Feather yellow. New to all of this, but I really like this razor a lot. Very simple and easy to use. Smoother with each successive shave. That's my take....

I may sneak in a extra shave this weekend just to "play" with angle, etc of the Tech. My open combs seem so intuitive to me that this is causing me some work! LOL I used a Gillette Yellow and HACKED my face....I haven't done that with the R41! what is your favorite blade DougieB in your tech? I'm pretty sure I need a much different angle than I'm use to....

Ive ALWAYS wanted a tech, where i live old razor are hard to come by

I got this tech, from the picture i couldnt see the condition, turns out the head is great but the handle is UGLY :D

would you still use it?

I frankenrazored it using this ballend handle off and old english razor i had, look ok?

proxy.php

proxy.php

I got this tech, from the picture i couldnt see the condition, turns out the head is great but the handle is UGLY :D

would you still use it?

I frankenrazored it using this ballend handle off and old english razor i had, look ok?

proxy.php

proxy.php

The fat handle tech's handle can be cleaned. I don't know if you have access to Maas or Blue Magic electroplating polish. I think that those black spots may be able to buff off. Really nice ball end handle. However, the fat-handle deserves another chance.......:LMS

Yea some of the spots look "brassy" where I think some of the finish has worn through, the rest of the handle is incredibly shiny, don't think those spots will come off though :(

That fat handle TECH is in better condition than my NEW Long Comb (my second favorite razor) and my OLD style (my 3rd favorite razor). I would not have blinked at using it. I just happened to get lucky in a thrift store.

Bluebishop: My favorite blade in my TECH currently is the PERSONNA Platinum as pictured below. I the ASTRA SP's seem to be not as good a blade in it. I haven't tried FEAT
HERS in it yet. I am expecting a delivery of FEATHERs this week.

Keep in mind that I am shaving with a low angle technique and a little pressure with this TECH. I also find myself discombobulated when I go back to the NEW (opposite your experience). The NEW does a fantastic job for me as well I just am hooked on the TECH.
View attachment 234212

For me, the Tech gives a better shave than the Feather AS. I refuse to give up trying with the AS though, seeing as I paid so much for it. It LOOKS great, and I have the technique down, but nah, it just doesn't give as close a shave as a good old Tech. I have not used the triangular-holed variety either, but would like to try.

If you score one off eBay, it won't say anything on there about the holes. You just have to look at the pictures. I had a ball end TECH and a Travel TECH both with standard slots which I later PIF'd. Hard to do as the standard ball end TECH at the time was one of my favorites and I hadn't yet gotten the Fat Handle TECH from the thrift store. I don't think there was a difference in performance. Both Very, very, very smooth close comfortable shavers. I am surprised by the popularity of the triangular slots. I'm not surprised by the popularity of the Fat Handle variety though. Classic lines from an aesthetic design standpoint.

I keep eyeing the Feather AS. Your right about the design on it. It too looks great.

Tried a Gillette Tech this morning. Expecting it to be ok but not nearly as good as it was. A 2 pass shave and it was very smooth. Trumpers Rose, a Rudy Vey restored 2 band finest brush and an Old Spice finish given the age of the razor. It really was outstanding and on a par or better than anything else in my razor rotation....Mergress, Weber, Jagger D89L, a 60's slim adjustable, Futur and a Progress. Had a feeling I could drive anywhere on my face in any position with the thing and not cut myself. Used a generic Israeli platinum blade. Looking forward to a Feather. Only drawback is the handle. Nice to look at but way to small to precisely position the great head. Bob's Razors has a slim 4 inch handle that should mate very well with the Tech in terms of performance and aesthetics. Will report back when I have used it. I used a Bobs XL fluted handle this morning. Am going to try a Merkur 23C handle tomorrow. So I guess it is cheating in terms of being "all" Tech but it shaves a whole lot better....for me. Am looking forward to the shave.

would you still use it?

proxy.php

proxy.php

The "Fat Handle" is my favorite so far. I'd use it, rather than Franken-ize the thing.

OK!!

Im gona use it TONIGHT :) (am i aloud to use it on a NON tuesday, its Sunday here)

2 1/2 days growth, first time using the Tech.

Post up here afterwards :)

Cleaned up said Tech, black spots buffed off but leave the exposed brassing underneath but it doesnt look nearly as hideous.

$20120408_151426 (Small).jpg

Top Bottom