What's new

Gillette Tech recommendations (The Clone thread)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Gillette Tech is a pronounced obsession interest lately(for me). Many disregard the mighty Gillette Tech as being too mild. I find that it gets the job done. If I have to be on autopilot, there are no issues with the tech. I'm able to obtain a BBS shave without any irritation when I use the Tech!

I can barely feel the blade and it shaves. I was thinking of getting 1 or 2 spare heads in case something happens.

Right now, I'm using the Made in USA, triangle slot Tech. A very common razor (it must have been something okay if they made that many...). I looked for a second hand and most places have a reasonable price for the razor itself but shipping is beginning to be a real killer.

Are there any clones or non-vintage tech clones that I could buy that would fit a custom handle (i.e. the handle that fits on most razors today)? I don't need a full razor as the handle is stainless steel. If it comes with a cheap handle that I can replace, I would consider it.

I've seen a few comments on various clones that mentioned a long pin from the cap. This prevents the handle from pinching that blade securely. The result would be a very aggressive razor (and potentially unsafe).

I heard of the Gillette 7 O'Clock Sterling(India) and Gillette Super Blue (China). I do not know if they fit a custom handle. I know, they are so cheap that I could buy them and figure it out. However, someone might have an experience with those or might have a different recommendation.

I also saw the Baili BD191, from what I found, I'm better off with a vintage Gillette if I look at the price tag.

Many clones mention a large blade exposure which worries me a lot.

I know that I can buy a vintage tech and that's okay. With today's technology and all those stainless steel razors, maybe there's something out there that fits the performance and price.

What's out there?

Here are a few pictures of my Gillette Tech (replated)
IMG_1928.JPGIMG_1929.JPGIMG_1930.JPG

The picture you posted doesn't look like what I think of as triangle slot.
This is what I think of as triangle slot:
1712074326305.png

As far as getting inexpensive replacement. Gillette SuperBlue manufactured in Shanghai and available on Ali Express for about $4-5 is exactly a Gillette Tech razor (70's era Tech)
1712074848747.png

Yep, a 'Triangle slot' tech typically refers to the 1938-45 pre war razor. (Triangular lather slots)
Yours is a lovely 1945-51 'NDC' (no date code)

The Lord L5 is another highly rated tech clone that's worth look (L6 is good Merkur clone)

A Baili 131 is a favorite of mine. It has M5 threading so it will work with many handles. It is a 70s Tech clone and parts will interchange with a 70s tech. Normally costs around $5. As for stainless, I find the Game Changer .68 has a similar feel. Just my 2 cents.

Luc

Staff member
A Baili 131 is a favorite of mine. It has M5 threading so it will work with many handles. It is a 70s Tech clone and parts will interchange with a 70s tech. Normally costs around $5. As for stainless, I find the Game Changer .68 has a similar feel. Just my 2 cents.

I have a Game Changer .76 and like it a lot. Reading the comments (on the GC .68), the general consensus seemed to be way too mild. I picked .76 as it's the middle road (.68 vs .84). Many said they couldn't shave two days in a row with the .84 (and I shave every day). The .76 isn't like the Gillette Tech but it's a very comfortable razor to use and efficient.

Have you tried the .68 plate to compare it to the Tech?

On a different note, I found this thread that is worth mentioning: The Tech Clone Wars - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-tech-clone-wars.574729/

The clones don't compare to the original Techs, IMHO. Yes, you can get a good shave with some of them but it's not the same.

Since you don't care about the handle too much, here is a tip. Look for a Travel Tech. These have a dinky handle that is not all that comfortable to use. As a result, most of the Travel Techs I've seen have heads that are in excellent shape! Plus, they don't seem that popular, so they aren't expensive.

Luc

Staff member
The clones don't compare to the original Techs, IMHO. Yes, you can get a good shave with some of them but it's not the same.

Since you don't care about the handle too much, here is a tip. Look for a Travel Tech. These have a dinky handle that is not all that comfortable to use. As a result, most of the Travel Techs I've seen have heads that are in excellent shape! Plus, they don't seem that popular, so they aren't expensive.
Reading the Tech Clone Wars thread, I'm (quickly) getting to the conclusion that I need to go back to the vintage tech. Sounds like something I was told in my younger days: If it ain't broken, don't fix it! It seems that I will need to find the same model in decent shape and that will be the "reserve". I already have a few options (watching and even in the mail)...

Reading the Tech Clone Wars thread, I'm (quickly) getting to the conclusion that I need to go back to the vintage tech. Sounds like something I was told in my younger days: If it ain't broken, don't fix it! It seems that I will need to find the same model in decent shape and that will be the "reserve". I already have a few options (watching and even in the mail)...
Not a clone but the real thing: Gillette Super Blue from P&G China

Geometry of a 70s Tech, here on a GTS handle by the late Rosseforp

4CD87F39-2379-4F2E-B406-24121C00ABAD.jpeg

5D35F183-D55D-430D-8824-7378A1FDE204.jpeg

This is how I got one of my techs. The one that I have been using the last few days. The handle that came with it is like an inch and a half long (this is an estimate, as I am nowhere near it). I have a Phoenix Shaving flare tip handle on it right now. As it sits… it may be the heaviest Tech ever.

Instead of looking for clones, I would look for lightly used and cheap real vintage ones in different configurations. I have a real affinity for Bakelite and fat handle versions… but I keep looking for other versions.

Attachments

• D46CC5AD-AADC-44F7-8811-6821F73C5A08.jpeg
    D46CC5AD-AADC-44F7-8811-6821F73C5A08.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
I have 4 Techs and a 7 O’clock Sterling Tech.

Two of the Techs were from the flea market. One was $3, and one was $5.

Reactions: ADP

Luc

Staff member
So, I got a Lord L222C as the Tech Clone. To be honest, I bought it before I decided to go bunkers on buying a few (yeah, let's just say a few for now) Gillette Tech razors. I got it for less than 10$ (CDN) and it rounded up the parcel for free shipping (win-win). I do not know if I will take it out of the package yet. The head seems ok but not as durable as a Gillette Tech. Maybe I'm wrong...
IMG_1959.JPG

So, I got a Lord L222C as the Tech Clone. To be honest, I bought it before I decided to go bunkers on buying a few (yeah, let's just say a few for now) Gillette Tech razors. I got it for less than 10$ (CDN) and it rounded up the parcel for free shipping (win-win). I do not know if I will take it out of the package yet. The head seems ok but not as durable as a Gillette Tech. Maybe I'm wrong...
View attachment 1827082
That was the first razor I ever used, but back then, it didn't have the plastic OC baseplate, but the SB baseplate was plastic. That thing was magic with a Super Iridium inside it.

Reactions: Luc
Top Bottom