What's new

Gillette Tech vs EJ89

Update: two shaves in. With more a bit more pressure and finding the right angle, the shave was at least as good as with the EJ. I think I’ll be sticking with the Gillette. Kind of cool shaving with something around 75 years old, too.
Perhaps it's a matter of keeping a slightly different angle than with the DE89 and a fairly narrow sweet spot.
You could always try a shim or two to widen the range of available angles, though. :)

I prefer the Tech riding the cap with a Feather. Once you get the angle, it’s a great razor that delivers superb shaves. Whatever you go with, enjoy your shaves!

Yep, agreed. I primarily have used straights for a long time and grabbed a Tech here to see what they were about. Ride the cap (probably does need some pressure, but I can’t judge how much) with any decent blade results in an effortless, thoughtless BBS for me.

OP, give it a few shaves to figure it out and you should see the same results. I could live with mine as a one and done razor

I've never had irritation when riding the cap, but I did have some when using a shallow blade angle. It's not a question of pressure - it just felt like the blade was plucking at my hair when using a shallow blade angle.
It is useful for avoiding moles and skin imperfection, though, as it's easier to see the blade for me that way.
I think you're mixing up steep and shallow, Slapo.

1703464807528.png

I’ve been using an EJ89 for the past 10 years after using a Gillette Tech for a few years before that but not since. Alas, the threads stripped on the EJ, so it no longer stays together.

I decided to pull the Gillette back out. From what I can gather, it is a 46-50 ball end. It’s gold plated and has no date codes. It has a singular thin rectangular bar that runs across the base plate.

I gave it a spin today 3 day stubble using the typical parts and procedures: Proraso pre-shave, Feather blade, CO Bigelow shave cream, two lazy passes with touch up. It was a very different shaving experience. I don’t know if it was initially riding the cap, but it felt like I wasn’t even cutting anything. It wasn’t until I started applying some pressure and steeping the angle toward the guard that it felt like it was cutting (and I could hear it).

Does this razor require pressure? With the EJ I didn’t apply any pressure just letting the weight of the razor do it. I didn’t break out a scale, but the EJ definitely feels heavier. So, maybe that’s part of it.

The result was okay; a bit below par. Mainly, some remaining stubble on some trouble areas that are generally hard to get totally smooth (under chin, some spots on the neck, and right jaw line). I was also a bit paranoid about cutting myself, so maybe I wasn’t diligent enough in these spots.

Anyone have experiences going between these razors (or to a Gillette from a razor similar to the EJ)? More pressure or steeper angle needed?

I immediately ordered a Muhle R89, but I plan to take the Gillette for another spin before opening the new one. If I can save $50, I guess I’d prefer to do that. I’ll miss that shiny chrome on the bathroom counter, though.
I only use enough pressure to keep the razor stuck on my face, I'm guessing 1 G or just the weight of the razor. Then just the right angle, and you'll know or feel that when it is working. Techs do give great shaves once they are mastered.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Generally, if you need more pressure for the razor to cut properly you're using the wrong razor angle. A little experimenting will tell the story.

Update: I’ve gotten in 10 or so shaves now. The shaves have been the best I’ve had. After some re-acclimating with the Tech, the shaves are a bit better overall. More significantly, nicks, cuts, and weepers are WAY down. I’d get a few weepers every other shave or so and an occasional nick with the EJ. I’ve gotten just one weeper in total so far, and I’ve been using the blade longer (3 shaves rather than 2).

My plan has been to get another razor, too (Razorock Game Changer 0.76). However, I’m not thinking I’ll just be sticking with the Tech only.

Top Bottom