What's new

Shaving Pottery Reference Thread (Scuttles, Bowls & Mugs) ADD YOUR PIC!!!

The past couple of weeks I have been using a commercial stainless steel gravy server I found in the cupboard while looking for "alternatives"

I am digging this thing. It seems to be the perfect size and shape for making mountains of lather and the base is easy to hang on to with wet hands.

proxy.php

proxy.php

That silver glaze is incredible!! I wonder how they did it..... :001_tt2:

This is the Dirty Bird in Original size (not the 1.5) With spiral grooves. I put the TOBS tub next to it to compare the size. I'm loving it!!

$photo-26.jpg$photo-27.jpg$photo-28.jpg$photo-29.jpg$photo-30.jpg

This is the Dirty Bird in Original size (not the 1.5) With spiral grooves. I put the TOBS tub next to it to compare the size. I'm loving it!!

nice pickup! looks like all your research paid off. the DB1.5 is a fine scuttle and it looks like you got the same colour scheme as mine (i have webbed ridges).

awesome scuttle (and lather i might add). i use it daily.

nice pickup! looks like all your research paid off. the DB1.5 is a fine scuttle and it looks like you got the same colour scheme as mine (i have webbed ridges).

awesome scuttle (and lather i might add). i use it daily.
Mine is the small size. I got the original because I wanted to be able to hold it in one hand while lathering, and i'm very glad i got the small one... How does your 1.5 retain heat?

Mine is the small size. I got the original because I wanted to be able to hold it in one hand while lathering, and i'm very glad i got the small one... How does your 1.5 retain heat?

sorry, misread your post. still a beauty.

my 1.5 holds warm lather for 4 passes (or more if i did them). but i'm a 3 pass shaver and it holds it warm the entire shave. i leave it on the counter and lather directly on the counter without picking it up.

sorry, misread your post. still a beauty.

my 1.5 holds warm lather for 4 passes (or more if i did them). but i'm a 3 pass shaver and it holds it warm the entire shave. i leave it on the counter and lather directly on the counter without picking it up.
How do you place your brush in the scuttle between passes? I push the brush down into the lather bowl between passes so the bristles spread out on the surface of the bowl with the base of the brush standing up in a 90 degree position...

How do you place your brush in the scuttle between passes? I push the brush down into the lather bowl between passes so the bristles spread out on the surface of the bowl with the base of the brush standing up in a 90 degree position...

brush standing straight up and down, (check my video of King Louis and you'll see). about 80% of the bristles being covered. if it falls over, i'm not worried and sometimes do it that way too.

I have a dirty bird original on order with webbed rides and I'm kinda liking the swirl design. Anybody know if the web design has any benefit over the swirl design.?

Sorry misread your question again. I really gotta look over the ?'s before posting.

In between passes I just place it in the scuttle. I don't mash it down.

When I reach for the next pass, I just give it 5-10 swirls to refresh it.

Hope you are enjoying it.

Bruce

I have that same question too. I think the swirl looks better but the web may be more practical on building lather. Not sure. Is there some off chance that someone has used both?

I have that same question too. I think the swirl looks better but the web may be more practical on building lather. Not sure. Is there some off chance that someone has used both?

i only have the WEBBED and it works crazy. i think the swirls may be counter productive sometimes. and here's my theory. if they swirl from bottom to top, in a corkscrew motion left to right, and that's the way you swirly your brush, you are not going against the grain...so would have to swirl both ways to take full advantage of it.

with the webbing, you can swirl L to R or R to L or whatever, it's all the same.

i may be WAY OFF on that theory, but that's what i think.

i only have the WEBBED and it works crazy. i think the swirls may be counter productive sometimes. and here's my theory. if they swirl from bottom to top, in a corkscrew motion left to right, and that's the way you swirly your brush, you are not going against the grain...so would have to swirl both ways to take full advantage of it.

with the webbing, you can swirl L to R or R to L or whatever, it's all the same.

That's the same thing I was thinking and is ther reason in went for the web. But the swirl looks so damn sexy!

proxy.php

This model, which was a custom make by a potter up in Canada, from a member here, Penmanship. He had it made somewhere in Winnipeg

FWIW, I have the 1.5 with the swirl and I'm not sure it either helps or hurts. I find no discernible difference between the lathers I build in the scuttle or in a smooth sided bowl. The speed at which the lather builds is also no different. Moreover, there are times when the soap or cream gets trapped in the groves and wasted. Finally I think the grooves make the post-shave clean up more difficult. All in, I think I'd prefer a smooth surface.

Top Bottom