What's new

Shaving Pottery Reference Thread (Scuttles, Bowls & Mugs) ADD YOUR PIC!!!

FWIW, I have the 1.5 with the swirl and I'm not sure it either helps or hurts. I find no discernible difference between the lathers I build in the scuttle or in a smooth sided bowl. The speed at which the lather builds is also no different. Moreover, there are times when the soap or cream gets trapped in the groves and wasted. Finally I think the grooves make the post-shave clean up more difficult. All in, I think I'd prefer a smooth surface.

rest assured, the WEBBED RIDGES aid in making lather, without a doubt.

as for the swirls, they do look nicer in my opinion.

When I was thinking of ordering my DB, I contacted a member here "Turk" He has 2 DB scuttles. One with webbed and one with swirl, . He told me He sees no difference in lather making in them whatsoever! He told me to go with the swirl because it looks nicer and classier.

He also told me to go with the original size not the 1.5 because the original you can hold with one hand while you lather, and he said he sees no difference in heat retention between his 1.5 and his original either. He bought the 1.5 first, but said was too big , so he bought the original next.

So i got the original with the swirl grooves. I've been using it for a while now, and i'm loving it. The 1.5 would have been way too big for my taste. When I received my Original DB and opened the box, I thought Julie accidentally sent me a 1.5 because even the original is big. But no it was the original size. And I'm very glad I didn't go with 1.5. YMMV.

He also told me to go with the original size not the 1.5 because the original you can hold with one hand while you lather, and he said he sees no difference in heat retention between his 1.5 and his original either. He bought the 1.5 first, but said was too big , so he bought the original next.
The 1.5 would have been way too big for my taste. When I received my Original DB and opened the box, I thought Julie accidentally sent me a 1.5 because even the original is big. But no it was the original size. And I'm very glad I didn't go with 1.5. YMMV.

Yup the 1.5 is big bordering on huge. It's great for me as I'm often making lather for my "face&head" and it's perfect for that. I recently ordered Julie's new "travel" size to use as a brush scuttle as I often face-lather as well. Can't wait for that to arrive.

my DB bill bowl should be here this week, and a Travel Scuttle in a few. i'll post pics upon arrival.

the Travel Scuttle will be used as a 1 pce brush scuttle, or so i hope :blink:

the Bill Bowl for when i don't want to use a full scuttle.

here's my Nzen Pottery Lather Bowl, Red from WCS with a Boar Restore i did a while back...just did another break in lather with it.

$IMG_4484.jpg

$op-nze-002.jpg$OP-NZE-002_2.jpg

I got an email from Robert Becker yesterday and my scuttle is ready and going out today. I had ordered a #1, and he accidentally made a #9 instead. It was love at first sight and I told him I'd take it! I've got some Cyril Salter on the way and they should arrive at the same time, so I'll post a pic of my new scuttle in action. Until then, here's a couple of pics from Robert of my soon to be newest addition to the growing shave den!

$#9 celestial blue scuttle 4.jpg$#9 celestial blue scuttle 3.jpg

took delivery of a DB Bill Bowl today...fantastic looking, feeling and function.

here it is alone, with a Semogue LE Bristle 2 and a Colonel, then a test lather with a 1305 and MacaRoot

$IMG_4540.jpg$IMG_4541.jpg$IMG_4542.jpg$IMG_4543.jpg

Really nice! Is that berry on blue?

yes sir....matched my DB1.5 :stuart:

this bill bowl is nice and deep with some nice 90degree sides and deep ridges for building lather on the bottom.

it's on deck for tomorrow, i'll give the scuttle a well deserved break.

wHAT IS BECKER'S WEBSITE ADDRESS? I purchased a scuttle from him about 8 months ago when he was on Ebay. I like the looks of his newer scuttles and want to have a look. ..............JR

Top Bottom