What's new

SEptember is here! Single Edge Shaving

GEM 1912 with a GEM SS (13)
Another fine shave. I enjoyed my OCMM earlier this week but the 1912 just gives me smoother shaves. No matter how many razors I try the 1912 is still my favorite. I think I need a Clog-Pruf and G Bar just to test my theory and to feed my RAD:biggrin1:

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
1912 pattern Treet with the Chubby blue handle, so went all Chubby today ..

$IMG_5968.jpg

First shave with an Ever Ready 1914 replate, GEM SS(1), Benton Clay Vetiver Paradisi, ER C40/ TGN silvertip.

Simply marvellous. Smooth, loud, thoroughly enjoyable shave.
DAS with zero irritation.

Still the Best Razor Ever.

Yesterday's shave:
Shick G with Chick blade (3)
Mike's Barbershop and Proraso Red superlather, Vintage Erskine badger brush
2 passes + touchups = DFS

Today's shave:
Ever Ready travel SE with Personna Stainless (8)
DR Harris Marlborough, TGN 20mm finest in Opal handle
2 passes + touchups = not as good as yesterday, but close!

First SE shave ever tonight with an Ever Ready Streamline. Good shave, but it is apparent I need to work on technique. I'm primarily a straight user.

Switched over from the Valet Auto Strop to the Gem OCMM. This brings us to the second to last item on the tour- having done week one with a Gem 1912 and week 2 with the Auto Strop. Final thoughts on the Auto Strop before the move- It definitely worked fine, I didn't cut myself once while using it and the shaves were consistently close, 3 pass DFS and 4 pass BBS. Now- on to the OCMM- I carried out my first shave with it today using a Speick stick for lather. I am happy to report that with careful blade seating and delicate technique I was not bitten once. Being a fairly aggressive little guy it was extremely quick to tell me that it didn't like the angle or pressure I provided and was about to bite, the ability of an "aggressive" razor to do this is probably the reason I rarely cut myself with aggressive razors vs mild ones. Auditory feedback was probably quieter than either the 1912 or Valet- although that could have purely been due to it being used on 2 day growth rather than my normal 3. I actually had owned this razor long before SEptember, and long before I had any of my other SE lineup together for SEptember, but the infamous reputation as a bloodletter that the OCMM carries scared me from trying it- even when I was straight shaving regularly.
Let me represent one of the many converted individuals to say that at ~$10 on ebay everyone should be gobbling these guys up: here's the brief review.
Looks- Clean lines, beautiful brass- I got mine for probably 11 shipped on the bay and it is in perfect condition.
Ergonomics- The lines make it easy to handle when wet, the weight of the razor does the work for you the angle of the head and ahead-of its time tto design (much better form factor than the gillette one) makes it easy to shave under the nose (a frequent complaint of DE tto heads)
Efficiency- I carried out a 3 Pass BBS with this little guy- it even did a good job on my infamously resistant neck.

I followed the shave with an alum block rubdown and a generous splash of veg- neither of which caused any burning- indicating that despite the aggressiveness I managed to not accidentally cut my dead skin away.

Probably my favorite Razor of SEptember so far- anyone thinking about dropping serious coin on a new aggressive razor should probably grab an OCMM first and see if it scratches that itch- it's a phenomenal piece of equipment.

I'll work with the OCMM for a week- and then it's off to the *GASP* Rolls Razor.

Thursday- Saturday, Clog-Pruf/ PAL Super SE Carbon Steel & Palmolive stick; Three more comfortable shaves on this blade(5), no corking or stropping so I retired the blade and will attempt a Gem SS in my G-Bar. Might do a Sunday Morning shave, I'll definitely cork the Gem & hopefully eliminate the roughness I get with these Blades.

Yesterday.....

Clog-Pruf, GEM PTFE SS of unknown usage, Arko Arko Arko, Vie Long 12705 horse

Best shave I've had with this MM. A bit tuggy on the ATG but the blade may be old. Got lax in keeping track...
Still, no irritation 3 pass DFS.

Last 2 days I've been using the ER1914 with a Treet blade. I had forgotten how aggressive this razor could be, but with a little extra care I've gotten a pair of excellent shaves.

First shave with an Ever Ready 1914 replate, GEM SS(1), Benton Clay Vetiver Paradisi, ER C40/ TGN silvertip.

Simply marvellous. Smooth, loud, thoroughly enjoyable shave.
DAS with zero irritation.

Still the Best Razor Ever.
Hey HG, I love Vetiver AS/EDT/EDC. How's the Vetiver soap? Might have to try it.

Yesterday:
G Injector, Chick blade (4), VDH Luxury unscented, H.I.S., Speick AS

Today:
MMOC, SS blade (9), AOS sandalwood SS sample, TGN synth, Booster Mosswood.

I'm starting to like the Injector more and more just for maneuverability.

Hey HG, I love Vetiver AS/EDT/EDC. How's the Vetiver soap? Might have to try it.

I think I like it. I was hoping for a stronger grapefruit but I think the vetiver overcomes it a little too much.
Still a pretty good non-tallow soap, though I fins these leave my face drier than say a Mystic Waters or even Arko.

Today:
GEM OCMM, GEM PTFE SS (1), MW Bay Rum, ER C40 w/ TGN Silvertip

Not a bad shave but I now think I prefer the Clog-Pruf. It's a little less harsh.
4 pass DFS with a slight irritation on the neck.

Top Bottom