What's new

SEptember is here! Single Edge Shaving

Well I had hoped to be more active in SEptember, but I just moved and most of my wet shaving gear is still packed up. I did dig out one fine example of an SE last night and gave it a go. You don't see these too often and I absolutely love it. My Weck SE safety razor.

proxy.php

SEptember Shaves 5 and 6 (Friday and Sunday)

5. G-bar with GEM PTFE SS (2), Razorock Classic, Vie Long Horse.
Not a bad shave overall. Bit tuggy on the ATG. Putting it down to still feeling bleh.
3 pass SAS.

6. ER 1912 with GEM PTFE SS (3), Arko + KMF Mint, SOC Boar
Almost forgot I had this - has gone unused since GEMini I think. Has the almost flat top lid, barely a curve to it.
Got a great shave despite lather problems (forgot how to use a boar). No irritation DFS. Loved it.

The first time out with M1, I used it as a pre-shave with VDH deLuxe. The results were decent, maybe not much better than the VDK alone, maybe not at all. Today, again with the Hydromagic, now on #13 for the Chick, I used straight M1. It's a non-lathering cream, and like many of them, becomes invisible once it's applied to wet skin.

It worked very well, within the limitations raised. I require corrective lenses, and the closest correction I have to the distance for shaving is the glasses I use for computer use, but's it's not ideal. Sometimes I use a "reading" pair and crowd closer to the basin and mirror. I was arguing back and forth with the whiskers and the razor around the corners of my mouth, and the point of my chin, and finally grabbed my Sensor for clean-up chores.

Tons better than Every Man Jack, and no great globs of crud stuck to the wash basin to have to scrub out.

The Eucalyptus Oil in it and other characteristics remind me of something else, like its a repackaged product I've tried before.

The OCMM with a Fresh Pella made the SEptember debut today. Still smooth, even now, and not a trace of 5 O'Clock Shadow not even on my fingers, unlike Inky. :biggrin1:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
After a couple days with different 1912's it was time for a new blade, so thought I'd try one that I haven't used for a while. Everytime this gets pulled out it delivers. I like the heft, the looks, and this design is the Nth of Clog-Prufedness .. Shave of the Month so far with the Rapide, brand new GEM Stainless blade, and P-160 whipped up with a Chubby ..

$rapide.jpg

2nd shave with the Valet Autostrop with Gem blades and speick stick- ended up getting a 4 pass bbs.
Same impression as last time- an extremely smooth shaver that looks aggressive but is actually very mild and smooth.
I was rushing to get to school this morning and didn't cut myself once- Added benefit is that my roommate (who uses a merkur futur) is completely horrified by the bizzare steampunk-esque device I'm using to shave.

Last night I had a wonderful Mystic Waters face lather going, but could not decide on the Schick G or the ER 1912.
So I did both.
Left side: ER 1912, GEM PTFE SS (4)
Right Side: Schick G Injector, Chick blade (4)
Mystic Waters Bay Rum face lather, ER C40 restored brush.

Got to DFS both sides - 18 hours later I cant tell the difference in stubble.
I seemed to have a harder time getting there on the 1912 and had slightly more irritation on the neck, although the alum block said both sides were equally stung.

The 1912 makes each hair scream out for mercy, the injector just slices cleanly and effortlessly with little feedback.

I have a feeling the injector gives an easier shave....but the SE has much more mojo.
Needs more investimagating.

Last night I had a wonderful Mystic Waters face lather going, but could not decide on the Schick G or the ER 1912.
So I did both.
Left side: ER 1912, GEM PTFE SS (4)
Right Side: Schick G Injector, Chick blade (4)
Mystic Waters Bay Rum face lather, ER C40 restored brush.

Got to DFS both sides - 18 hours later I cant tell the difference in stubble.
I seemed to have a harder time getting there on the 1912 and had slightly more irritation on the neck, although the alum block said both sides were equally stung.

The 1912 makes each hair scream out for mercy, the injector just slices cleanly and effortlessly with little feedback.

I have a feeling the injector gives an easier shave....but the SE has much more mojo.
Needs more investimagating.
I really like Mystic Waters soap too. I used it and a silvertip brush to lather up for my ER 1912...sweet shave.

Tried an Injector for the first time today. It's a G type with a chrome head and blue handle.
Chick blade, Mike's Barbershop, TGN synthetic.
Had a pretty good shave, but needed an extra pass to get as close as my Gillette Old or MMOC.

I've settled into using my OCMM or one my 1912s if I've more than a day's growth and my PB or FWMM if I've got less.

Six months experience has worked wonders, I'm weeks between getting any small spots of irritation on my neck and more than a month without a drop of blood spilt.

Tried an Injector for the first time today. It's a G type with a chrome head and blue handle.
Chick blade, Mike's Barbershop, TGN synthetic.
Had a pretty good shave, but needed an extra pass to get as close as my Gillette Old or MMOC.

Your G model is damaged, or your technique is faulty. DEs simply cannot beat SEs, any kind.

I think it's a matter of adjusting technique. I have been using my newly acquired E1 on and off for the past 2 weeks and I also have trouble getting as close comfortably as with my Gem PB and Valet Autotstrop (or the majority of my DE's).

SEptember Shave 8
Schick Type G, Chick blade (5), Razorock Classic, ER C40 with TGN Silvertip

I find this blade almost too easy. So easy that I can experiment with different ways of eliminating stubble that I cant do with a DE or SE yet.
Especially the Gillette Slide going up, almost ATG.Working so far....

Came out with a DFS.

I think it's a matter of adjusting technique. I have been using my newly acquired E1 on and off for the past 2 weeks and I also have trouble getting as close comfortably as with my Gem PB and Valet Autotstrop (or the majority of my DE's).
Ah, but I did adjust my technique. I added an extra pass (bringing me to a whopping 3 passes) and had a nice shave. DFS in fact. Same today. This razor is pretty great, but a bit on the mild side. It's definitely working for me though!:thumbup:
Today's shave:
Shick G Injector, Chick blade (2), VDH Deluxe, Clubman.

Another great shave with the OCMM. More than 12 hours later, and still incredibly smooth.

I may go with an injector next week, but the MicroMatics just deliver such close, smooth, long lasting shaves it is incredible.

Back to work Tuesday, Clog-Pruf/ PAL Super Carbon Steel (1), Palmolive face lather with a DFS two-pass. A very smooth shave without the irritation or roughness of the Gem SS shave, I had corked the Gem but not my PAL, probably my favorite Carbon Steel.

Wednesday, same set-up 2nd PAL shave, two-pass DFS without any roughness from the blade. I'll finish the week with the Clog-Pruf & PAL, next week I'll switch my Razor, using my G-Bar & Gem SS. I'll definitely cork before my first use, the Gem SS just doesn't get along with me on the first two shaves. I'm giving them one last chance, with ~180 on hand I'm hoping we can get along, if not then it's off to the B/S/T.

Top Bottom