What's new

SEptember is here! Single Edge Shaving

Today was the best shave of the month so far with my 1924 & Treet, but some spots are starting to form on the blade. My next shave will be with the Clog-Pruf and a Pella.

i did use my gem yesterday and i even survived. might DE today since im trying cella for the first time. after that,, ill more than likely go right back to my str8s.

SEptember Shave 4

Stick with the Schick. 3rd shave on blade. Tried bowl lathering for first time in months. I started with overloading VDH Deluxe and while it looked good, it lacked any slick whatsoever. Generous helping of KMF sorted that out for a wonderful lather. Face felt slightly less loved though.

Schick still going strong. 3 pass CCS with no effort and no irritation.
Can't keep on like this, the GEMs, Stars and Ever Readys will revolt!

I was going to use a cream, and my Schick Hydromagic, to get an acceptable shave, just a quick one, then I saw the tube of Rise Shave Cream I brought home and decided to take a gamble on it. I didn't even wait for the water to heat up, just dove on in, washed, rinsed, rubbed in the cream, and got started. Amazing! I think it cost about a dollar from somewhere such as Dollar Tree or the 99 Cent Store. It did an excellent job. It's a thin (hand) lotion-like product, almost transparent when rubbed in.

I ended up with a single pass DFS (almost). For the low cost, it's a fantastic deal, and I want to get more of it to stockpile.

OCMM
Walgreen's Gem blade
Trumper Coconut ss
Bob Farvour 24mm Finest
Avon Black Suede balm

Ocmm and Walgreen's blade are rolling along.

Back to Work on Tuesday, I've been using the Clog-Pruf/Gem SS blade, face lather with various Boars and Palmolive Stick grated in a bowl. The shaves are one-pass and a tough-up, anything more & I don't have enough growth the next morning. Though I'm loving the Micromatic, I'm not a big Fan of the Gem SS Blades, I think I prefer the Carbon Steel and will change blades after Saturday's shave. I grow weary of the first shave irritation I get from the Gem SS blades even when I cork them. I've got !190 of them and think they're not worth the trouble, look for them on the B/S/T after this month's evaluation & comparison to the Carbon Steel Blades.

Back to Work on Tuesday, I've been using the Clog-Pruf/Gem SS blade, face lather with various Boars and Palmolive Stick grated in a bowl. The shaves are one-pass and a tough-up, anything more & I don't have enough growth the next morning. Though I'm loving the Micromatic, I'm not a big Fan of the Gem SS Blades, I think I prefer the Carbon Steel and will change blades after Saturday's shave. I grow weary of the first shave irritation I get from the Gem SS blades even when I cork them. I've got !190 of them and think they're not worth the trouble, look for them on the B/S/T after this month's evaluation & comparison to the Carbon Steel Blades.
See my signature :wink:

The Ever Ready SE that syngent so kindly PIFed to me arrived yesterday and I finally got to try it.
Personna Stainless (5)
TGN 22m Super Silvertip - first test run - very nice!
Palmolive Stick
Booster Mosswood

Pretty nice shave! I had one fairly painful gotcha on my adam's apple but it didn't bleed, and no significant irritation.

Tomorrow will be shave #6 with the Clog Pruf and Pella blade. I have obtained remarkable results from this razor and blade. No nicks, cuts, or weepers - just incredibly long lasting, smooth, close, comfortable shaves.

Why do I use DE's??

First ever SE. Used Eveready 1912 and Personna blade. I'll be patient, but the head felt big and cumbersome and the shave wasn't close. A little irritation on my neck. I was getting used to the Fatip with an Astra. I can feel that much better, using the 1912 I didn't get as much blade feel. Did I mention the head felt big?

A few days ago I Switched over from my 1912 to the Valet Autostrop with a modified GEM coated Stainless. Lathered with speick and an Omega Pro48 and carried out a 3 pass (WTG XTG ATG) shave on three days of growth. Despite the appearance of the blade floating and not being held by much the razor seems fairly mild- fiddling with the angle which was slightly steeper than the 1912, I ended up with an Ok shave. The extra movement in the blade holding mechanism decreases the audio feedback and downplays blade-feel on the face. The shave was definitely a very easy, smooth shave, with results comparable to the Gem 1912- but so far I'm liking the 1912 better purely on the basis of how it announced itself through auditory and blade tactile feedback.

Shaved today with a Straight because I have to study hematology all day and wanted to treat myself- The auto strop gets another week before I switch to the OCMM.

Six shaves with the Pella and the Clog-Pruf. I can't say enough about this razor. Completely smooth, long lasting, close, comfortable.

This was a two day growth, too.

If you've been thinking about trying SE razors, don't hesitate a moment longer. You too, will wonder how DE's won the blade wars.

Top Bottom