What's new

86foxtrot shaving odyssey

For this morning's shave I decided to try a new Frankensoap. I have an old AOS Sandelwood soap puck that's been really dried up for some years and seen better days. I decided to add some Reuzel shave cream on top with a little added glycerin.

Lathered up really well.

Today's gear:

Ikon Shavecraft Tech
Kai super stainless (11)
Frankensoap mix (AOS Sandelwood soap/ Reuzel shave cream) + glycerin in old Mitchell's Wool Fat ceramic dish
Thater Tortoise Boar brush
2 pass shave
Proraso Green aftershave lotion

10/10 BBS shave.

I was concerned the AOS may not lather up due to its age but boy was I wrong. :punk:

:straight:This morning I decided to take the Cobra Classic AC razor out of the back of the drawer and give it some loving.

Also used Soap Commander Honor in shave stick form factor.

It provides a great shave provided I pay close attention to using no pressure, short strokes.

I did a 2 pass shave (WTG/ATG). Decided against a 3rd pass to get BBS. It's just not worth the risk with the Cobra.

10/10 DFS. Not worth chasing the BBS today.

Decided to use the Rex Ambassador today. Haven't used it in a long time in over 2 years. It's been a love/hate relationship since I bought it.

Today's gear:
Rex Ambassador (setting 3 on the first two passes. Dialed in down to 1 on third pass)
Kai super stainless (12)
Tabac tallow soap
Simpson Duke 3 Best badger brush
3 pass shave
Proraso Green aftershave lotion

Very minor feedback from aftershave
Ran out of my beloved Proraso Green aftershave lotion today

Overall: 9.5/10 DFS
The Rex Ambassador is akin to Russian Roulette on my face.

I'm really going to dedicate some time to tame it. Adjustable razors have never been my cup of tea.

Going to start at lower settings to get acclimated.

Attachments

• IMG_4123.jpeg
    IMG_4123.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Pulled out the Rex Ambassador for another go round.

Today's shave:
Rex Ambassador (setting 2 throughout)
Kai super stainless (13)
Tabac tallow soap
Thater Tortoise Boar brush
3 pass shave
Bootlegger's Green Freeze aftershave

Very minor feedback from aftershave
9.5/10 DFS
One minor weeper on 3rd ATG pass

I'm getting a lot better on this razor. Setting 2 felt like it wasn't cutting anything on the WTG first pass.

IMG_4129.jpeg

I decided to make things a little dicey today. Opened up the Rex Ambassador to see how my technique has improved with adjustables.

Rex Ambassador (maxed out setting)
Kai super stainless (14)
Tabac tallow shave stick
Paladin Neptune Select Badger brush
2pass shave
Bootlegger's Green Freeze aftershave
10/10 nearly BBS everywhere shave

First time getting an excellent shave on the higher settings.

For today's shave I searched my shaving drawer for something different. Pulled out the Assured DE TTO butterfly razor.

IMG_4137.jpeg

IMG_4138.jpeg

It's considered fairly aggressive for a Butterfly style safety razor.

I loaded up a fresh Feather blade.
Paired it up with Tabac Tallow soap and a Thater Tortoise Boar brush.

Man, I really love Tabac. Thick lather, slick, and love the smell. I don't own of the current veggie based Tabac so I cannot comment on the differences.

2 pass shave. One very small weeper. I blame the fresh feather blade. Happens pretty regularly for me on a first use feather blade.

On the aftershave, Bootlegger's Green Freeze. Only mild feedback today.

Today's shave rating: 10/10 BBS.
It's pretty amazing what a $1-2 razor from Dollar Tree can do.

If you haven't noticed, I love efficient (dare I say aggressive) razors. I much prefer a 2-pass daily shave. Mild razors just can't get me there. Greatly minimizes the chance for irritation and nicks.

As the old saying goes... YMMV

Happy shaves gents,

Justin

For today's shave I searched my shaving drawer for something different. Pulled out the Assured DE TTO butterfly razor.

It's considered fairly aggressive for a Butterfly style safety razor.
I have the 3 piece one that looks like a clone of the old Gillette P2. I got mine from Dollar Tree too, but I have noticed versions of this cheapo are all over the Asian shopping sites and sold under various labels. It's pretty aggressive and has a lot of blade feel, but I have used mine with a few blades like Treet Platinum and Dorco ST300 and have liked the results.

I have the 3 piece one that looks like a clone of the old Gillette P2. I got mine from Dollar Tree too, but I have noticed versions of this cheapo are all over the Asian shopping sites and sold under various labels. It's pretty aggressive and has a lot of blade feel, but I have used mine with a few blades like Treet Platinum and Dorco ST300 and have liked the results.
I did a $1 razor challenge several years ago with the Assured TTO razor. For those interested in reading the thread:

I did a $1 razor challenge several years ago with the Assured TTO razor. For those interested in reading the thread:

Yes, I read through that before and thought it was quite humorous. Someone should organize a repeat or a $3 (inflation, ya know) razor participation thread. I'd be all set with either my Dollar Tree or Alshabab razors.

IMG_20240402_093758207.jpg

The cheapest DE razor ever. All plastic, all the time.

Last edited:
@GlazedBoker Do you remember the $1 razor challenge? Man, those were fun times. Definitely the most fun I've had since wetshaving.

Indeed I do. Yes, those were good times with some real good shave brethren that were all in on a shave adventure. I still do have mine and maybe once or twice a year, I pull that razor out just for old times sake which, really wasn't that far back.

Actually, I have about a dozen or so of the same branded Assured razors but, in the 3 pc. design. I've considered starting about a part II to that original thread but, just don't know with how things are today. It would be a heck of a thread though if any adventurers are still out there left.

We'll see. Happy shaves to you amigo....:straight:

Indeed I do. Yes, those were good times with some real good shave brethren that were all in on a shave adventure. I still do have mine and maybe once or twice a year, I pull that razor out just for old times sake which, really wasn't that far back.

Actually, I have about a dozen or so of the same branded Assured razors but, in the 3 pc. design. I've considered starting about a part II to that original thread but, just don't know with how things are today. It would be a heck of a thread though if any adventurers are still out there left.

We'll see. Happy shaves to you amigo....:straight:
I'm IN if you decide to put a part 2. Sort of like Hot Shots Part Deux.

1712076804408.gif

Today I decided to put the feather blade into the Ikon Tech.

Today's gear:
Ikon Shavecraft Tech
Feather Hi-stainless (3)
Simpson Duke 3 Best badger brush
Tabac Tallow shave stick
Bootlegger's Green Freeze

2 pass shave
Shave felt a little harsh ATG
No weepers
Minor feedback on Aftershave

Overall: 9.5/10 BBS

Time to toss the blade. Feathers typically lose their smoothness after 3-4 shaves in my experience.

Top Bottom