What's new

RazoRock Stealth Slant Explorer Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im in Canada as well and its on its way.. i cannot wait to try it out ... i wasn't lucky enough to get the beach but I'm sure there will be more of that coming

Aluminum threads screwed into an aluminum handle? That sounds to me like asking for trouble.

I know Joe says he personally tested the threads 2,000 times. I'm certainly not questioning his honesty, but did he fully unscrew the handle each time and then re-thread it? Did he tighten the handle each time tight enough to shave? Did he really count to 2,000 while doing this?

I'm sure there will be some glowing reviews in the weeks to come, but I'm more interested in reading the reviews two years from now, after customers have really tested those threads.

Aluminum threads screwed into an aluminum handle? That sounds to me like asking for trouble.

I know Joe says he personally tested the threads 2,000 times. I'm certainly not questioning his honesty, but did he fully unscrew the handle each time and then re-thread it? Did he tighten the handle each time tight enough to shave? Did he really count to 2,000 while doing this?

I'm sure there will be some glowing reviews in the weeks to come, but I'm more interested in reading the reviews two years from now, after customers have really tested those threads.

Yes, I counted.

I torqued it as far as I could because there was no fear of snapping off a welded thread.

I agree with you though, nothing can beat the test of time.

Joe, I have a question about the threading, prefaced by I admittedly know little about the process, so this is a pure "I'm curious, please educate me (and others I'm sure)" question :)

Is the threading on the slant anodized as well? If so, does that add to the threads durability?

TIA! :)

Joe, I have a question about the threading, prefaced by I admittedly know little about the process, so this is a pure "I'm curious, please educate me (and others I'm sure)" question :)

Is the threading on the slant anodized as well? If so, does that add to the threads durability?

Anodizing aluminum is kind of like (just for analogy's sake) galvanizing steel. When a non-ferrous metal (aluminum, titanium, magnesium) is anodized it makes the metal corrosion resistant. Therefore, if the threads are anodized - which I couldn't imagine they aren't, as the top cap is machined out a single piece of aluminum - it will make them less susceptible to corrosion. Anodizing doesn't necessarily make the metal have a higher tensile strength, but it does make it more durable where exposure to corrosives or oxidizing agents are concerned, such as wet shaving.

Shaved my face twice, and decided to shave my head with it yesterday evening - it's a confidence inspiring razor, I would even recommend it to someone new to DE shaving.

Just getting used to the blade angle. It will take another couple of weeks of shaving before I can post a full, thorough review.

But I can already say, I am very happy with this purchase.

Anodizing aluminum is kind of like (just for analogy's sake) galvanizing steel. When a non-ferrous metal (aluminum, titanium, magnesium) is anodized it makes the metal corrosion resistant. Therefore, if the threads are anodized - which I couldn't imagine they aren't, as the top cap is machined out a single piece of aluminum - it will make them less susceptible to corrosion. Anodizing doesn't necessarily make the metal have a higher tensile strength, but it does make it more durable where exposure to corrosives or oxidizing agents are concerned, such as wet shaving.

Thanks Chris, that makes good sense!

If I'm lucky, which is hit or miss for me, I could get mine today! It was sorted through the the facility 20mins. from my house at almost midnight last night, but no further tracking details yet. Today or tomorrow for sure!

I was about to go shave too, NOT ANYMORE!!! :w00t:

Last edited:

Hi John,

See attached picture.

Just for fun, I threaded and re-threaded the tester I had at home (with over 2000 cycles) another 250 times (at 2am LOL); the wife thought I lost my mind... still fine!

Here is a good wiki on anodizing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing

"anodizing does not increase the strength of the aluminium object"

I will say that aluminum will be easier to cross-thread than stainless, if you aren't careless... similar to brass or zamac.

Thank you, Chris.

Attachments

• $slant post.jpg
    $slant post.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 332
Thank you Joe! What dedication, staying up til 2 AM to test a razor LOL. I was just curious, and thought maybe that question may help some who are concerned. I personally am not. My Pop taught me back when I was a wee lad, working with mechanical things, never force it. If it doesn't seem to be going on right, back it off, adjust and try again. So just don't try and beast it guys, it'll be fine!

And lets just say, for the sake of argument, that it breaks on tightening 2,251.... If you shaved every day of the year with the slant it would last you about 6.2yrs. And thats a big if the way most of us nuts rotate equipment and all. Realistically it'd last many more years than that. I'll take that lifespan based on the (potential) price!

Thank you, Chris.

No problem :wink2:

So... I took a look on ebay the last two days, and I'm proud to report that I have yet to find a RazoRock Stealth Slant Razor listed. That might change once more are delivered, though. And while it wouldn't surprise me to see one pop up on there soon, likely at a hefty price increase over what this initial run sold for, I genuinely hope that it doesn't happen.

Okay so my Stealth will arrive today! I had to shave today because of my schedule but, interestingly enough, my weeks in my shave normally start on Friday so this is a great time to break in this razor. I've decided to go for a one month test. I'll use only Tabac (I've enrolled in the SOTMC for the first time as well, seemed like the right time for this). I'll stick with my SOC2 boar too. I'm going to begin with Silver Blues and may or may not switch up the blades. I'm leaning towards sticking with the Blue and only changing if there is a serious problem. I'd like to create a very controlled environment to test this razor. I'm also going to stick with my Thayers Rose and Shea Moisture splashes post shave. So, to recap, the next 30 will look like this:

Razorock Stealth
Gillette Silver Blue
SOC2
Tabac
Thayers Alcohol Free Rose
Shea Moisture Aftershave Splash
Baxter of California Balm
*Cologne (I`ll swap out various ones depending on my mood)

I think this should provide alot of good feedback on this razor.

Got mine just now, as I am sure is the case for most of the US orders. Will try it out in the morning. Looks and feels great out of the box, though!

I've been purposely using my vintage hoffritz slant with a custom stainless handle in anticipation of the Razorock coming, and it's here! It'll get a new Gillette black and some Original XXX! I'll give a first impression post here and a three day report here and to Joe directly. Man! I can't wait!

Last edited:
Naturally, it gets delivered to the office today.

The one day I stay home because of an appointment with the cable guy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom