What's new

RazoRock Stealth Slant Explorer Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want one. When will these be available to the general public?

no one knows for certain but once joe gets enough feedback and he could make some changes even im sure he will get it out as quickly as he can. remember this may not be the final design this was a test batch.

I thought I might leave a quick first impression review here after my first stealth shave this morning. The one thing that really struck me was that it seems to be a very mild slant, I felt that there was no way it could bite me while shaving...very smooth and mild. I found that it has a very small sweet spot where it is effective though...it needed a much more aggressive angle than i would have thought, I had the handle at a solid 45+ degrees in order to have solid blade contact. It seemed any other angles it was just the cap or guard bar scraping lather off my face, not the blade. To be fair though, I think my lather was a bit too thick and i may have been clogging the razor a bit. It was my first time with the Beach soap and it could have maybe used a little more water...

Final result was excellent though, 3 passes and pretty close to BBS with no irritation to speak of. 1 shave in and really enjoying it but i think with a little practice it will be even better!

edit: Blade was a Polsilver SI

Last edited:
I thought I might leave a quick first impression review here after my first stealth shave this morning. The one thing that really struck me was that it seems to be a very mild slant, I felt that there was no way it could bite me while shaving...very smooth and mild. I found that it has a very small sweet spot where it is effective though...it needed a much more aggressive angle than i would have thought, I had the handle at a solid 45+ degrees in order to have solid blade contact. It seemed any other angles it was just the cap or guard bar scraping lather off my face, not the blade. To be fair though, I think my lather was a bit too thick and i may have been clogging the razor a bit. It was my first time with the Beach soap and it could have maybe used a little more water...

Final result was excellent though, 3 passes and pretty close to BBS with no irritation to speak of. 1 shave in and really enjoying it but i think with a little practice it will be even better!

edit: Blade was a Polsilver SI

Just a quick comment...

I read your feedback and smiled... reason...

One of biggest issues I find, with bringing people over from the cartridge shaving world, is the way you hold a DE razor to achieve the perfect cutting angle. Many people I speak to start with a EJ89 and feels it's quite awkward/weird to be moving the razor down your face while holding the handle out at 30 degrees. Obviously, when shaving with a cartridge, the handle is a lot more parallel to the skin and it's almost like the butt of the razors is leading the way.

The two exceptions in the DE world are the Merkur Bakelite 45 and the Merkur Progress (when set low); these two razors bend the DE blade to a great degree, also giving the blade great mechanical strength and less vibration. Coincidentally, those are the two razors (based on feedback) that newer DE shavers seem to get the hang of, the quickest.

Image on angle with progress... http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/PN3A_p7NClM/maxresdefault.jpg

The geometry on the Stealth Slant was designed in a way to achieve the same result; butt end to lead the way.

Last edited:
Just a quick comment...

I read your feedback and smiled... reason...

One of biggest issues I find, with bringing people over from the cartridge shaving world, is the way you hold a DE razor to achieve the perfect cutting angle. Many people I speak to start with a EJ89 and feels it's quite awkward/weird to be moving the razor down your face while holding the handle out at 30 degrees. Obviously, when shaving with a cartridge, the handle is a lot more parallel to the skin and it's almost like the butt of the razors is leading the way.

The two exceptions in the DE world are the Merkur Bakelite 45 and the Merkur Progress (when set low); these two razors bend the DE blade to a great degree, also giving the blade great mechanical strength and less vibration. Coincidentally, those are the two razors (based on feedback) that newer DE shavers seem to get the hang of, the quickest.

The geometry on the Stealth Slant was designed in a way to achieve the same result; butt end to lead the way.

Ha well there you go...makes total sense now! It really was a different angle than i was used to in my other slants and DE razors but once I adapted it was very comfortable. Funny you mention cartridge shaving technique because that crossed my mind while using the Stealth, it felt like back in my pre DE days...handle pointed much lower to the ground.

Thanks for the update Joe and i gotta say so far I really like your razor...great work!

Can't wait for mine to arrive. After reading Joe's comment above about the angle, I should have no problems adapting as the Merkur Progress is currently my favorite and go to razor :)
Mine just left Rochester, NY :) Hopefully it will be here by Saturday!

Mine left Ontario early morning on the 23rd, and is headed West by ground, thanks to my AS purchase. Anticipated delivery - the 29th. That'll learn me to buy items that won't go airmail.

Thanks, Joe, for the heads-up on the angle to use. Hopefully that will cut the learning curve substantially for many folks.

Yes Joe, thanks for posting that! It makes me smile though, because I learned not only in practice but by reading around here that the Merkur slants at least required a closer to parallel to the face, butt towards the floor, angle to be effective. Its just a thing about slants as I understood it. I was fully expecting that to be the case here as well.

I'm so glad you're joining in here with us! It'll be fantastic to get your feedback and insight about it as we progress!

Mine Shipped on 04/22/2014... I should get it tomorrow right before i go down to my beach house with my stealth and Beach Soap. should be fun!!!!!!

I have skipped my daily shaving routine yesterday to salute the stealth properly with sufficient growth. Looking forward to Razorocking this evening. It is going against my 2 favourites the Ikon Slant and the Cobra Classic, so the expectations are high. I'm planning on using it exclusively for a week or two, unless it's horrible:) ,but I doubt it. Initial impression is solid, it looks great , handle feels super grippy and widens at the bottom ( great idea).Tolerance for placing the blade is tight, barely any wiggle room there.Tiny adjustments can be done from the side if it's needed ,the cap doesn't fully cover the blade. As most of you know it is also super light , actually feels lighter than my Schick Krona and it's been a while since I used any razor below 100g. This is my 4th slant after the Merkur , Hoffritz and Ikon but the first 2 weren't efficient enough so parted with those. That's it for now I guess, I'll definitely report back in the upcoming days. $stealth1.jpg$stealth2.jpg

I have skipped my daily shaving routine yesterday to salute the stealth properly with sufficient growth. Looking forward to Razorocking this evening. It is going against my 2 favourites the Ikon Slant and the Cobra Classic, so the expectations are high. I'm planning on using it exclusively for a week or two, unless it's horrible:) ,but I doubt it. Initial impression is solid, it looks great , handle feels super grippy and widens at the bottom ( great idea).Tolerance for placing the blade is tight, barely any wiggle room there.Tiny adjustments can be done from the side if it's needed ,the cap doesn't fully cover the blade. As most of you know it is also super light , actually feels lighter than my Schick Krona and it's been a while since I used any razor below 100g. This is my 4th slant after the Merkur , Hoffritz and Ikon but the first 2 weren't efficient enough so parted with those. That's it for now I guess, I'll definitely report back in the upcoming days.

Looks great! But your last shot is missing the RazoRock "Amici" brush ;)

That's a good shot of the overall size too! I was wondering if the handle was going to on the short side. But that looks like it'll be a good medium length. Not that I'm that particular, I'll use them all. :)

Gotta say, by the pics alone, you've created a mean looking razor Joe! Dunno about any of you guys, but I'm thinking of getting a brush made to match!

Which also makes me think: Down the road Joe, when this takes off, maybe a matching black anodized aluminum razor or brush/razor stand? :)

Last edited:
I have skipped my daily shaving routine yesterday to salute the stealth properly with sufficient growth. Looking forward to Razorocking this evening. It is going against my 2 favourites the Ikon Slant and the Cobra Classic, so the expectations are high. I'm planning on using it exclusively for a week or two, unless it's horrible:) ,but I doubt it. Initial impression is solid, it looks great , handle feels super grippy and widens at the bottom ( great idea).Tolerance for placing the blade is tight, barely any wiggle room there.Tiny adjustments can be done from the side if it's needed ,the cap doesn't fully cover the blade. As most of you know it is also super light , actually feels lighter than my Schick Krona and it's been a while since I used any razor below 100g. This is my 4th slant after the Merkur , Hoffritz and Ikon but the first 2 weren't efficient enough so parted with those. That's it for now I guess, I'll definitely report back in the upcoming days.View attachment 440168

This is great information. Thanks so much for posting it. I didn't realize that the handle gets wider at the bottom, but from your pics, I can see how that is the case. Now I just have to wait for the regular release! But I sure am looking forward to reading about everyone's experiences here with the prototypes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom