What's new

RazoRock Baby Smooth DE

no as i said the second one was VERY minor not nearly as bad as my first one was. and it shaves fine. you can not feel it at all. i only posted because a few people wanted to see a pic of what i was talking about on my first one, but it is already being fixed right now so i cant show the issue on that one anymore. so i simply was trying to explain what i was trying to describe on my original one since some asked me for a pic showing the issue. im going to borrow a camera this week and ill take a pic of my second one and also some of the now silver bs.

Last edited:
My Review on RRBS:

Just finished my second shave with RRBS. Tools used:

1. Razor : Razorock Baby Smooth (RRBS)
2. Blade : Gillette 7'o clock green (India)
2. Soap : Catie's Bubble LPV
3. Brush: Semogue SOC boar
4. Aftershave: Nivea original aftershave balm

The fit and finish of the razor that I have received are perfect. No issues in terms of blade alignment or anything. This is my third razor from IB and all three are perfect, without any flaws. They don't feel like prototype at all.

Before going for the shave just by reading reviews and information about the razor I got an impression, that it is going to be a mild razor. But just by looking at it it seems that it has more blade flare than my Merkur 34c or Edwin Jagger DE89L. Indeed the shave was not mild. I could feel the blade on my face. First shave was on a 3 day heavy growth. I just felt slight dragging on my upper leap, I feel more dragging using Muhle R41. It felt like an aggressive razor to me in the first pass. But unlike other aggressive razors the ATG was much smoother and it didn't give me any irritation.

The second shave was even better. I used the same blade and same setup. I think any new razor it takes one or two shaves in the beginning to have a feel for it. Though the razor was quite light, I didn't apply any pressure and the razor just went through my whiskers like butter. I am really impressed with efficiency of the razor. After 3 passes I didn't need any clean up pass. I got a really close DFS, which I can achieve with, 4 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG and clean up) and more aggressive razors. At the same time there were no nicks or irritations.

In my opinion the razor is really efficient. Its as efficient as my Muhle R41. But I would put Razorock Stealth Slant stainless steel/ Aluminium and ATT slant S2, ahead in terms of smoothness. To sum up

Smoothness (ease of use and glide): Razorock stealth slant stainless steel> ATT S2> Razorock stealth slant Aluminium> Baby smooth > Merkur 34c/ Edwin Jagger > Muhle R41

Efficiency/Aggressiveness : Baby Smooth> Muhle R41> Razorock stealth slant stainless steel> ATT S2> Razorock stealth slant Aluminium> Merkur 34c/ Edwin Jagger

Overall the RRBS is a great razor. It gives one of the best irritation free DFS of all of my razors. Its certainly a keeper and will be in my regular rotation. I would love to make it my primary travel razor, but would not take a chance because of its low availability. Merkur 34 c will be my travel razor as, if I loose it it doesn't cost much and I can get another one easily.

In a nutshell its quite a unique razor, in terms of irritation free effective shaver. Would recommend it any day. Everyone should experience the beautiful piece of art. I think the way the blade flares and bends, makes it more effective. And because of the small blade gap it doesn't give any irritations. Thanks to Joe for bringing this amazing razor in the market, I hope both RRBS and RRSS comes to production soon. Everyone should get a chance to experience these beautiful razors. Next target is The Hawk!

Last edited:
Mine arrived today - at first glance the fit and finish are perfect.

Personally I usually prefer heavier razors and gee this is light, will use it tomorrow and write a quick update.

Cheers
Benz

My Review on RRBS:

Just finished my second shave with RRBS. Tools used:

1. Razor : Razorock Baby Smooth (RRBS)
2. Blade : Gillette 7'o clock green (India)
2. Soap : Catie's Bubble LPV
3. Brush: Semogue SOC boar
4. Aftershave: Nivea original aftershave balm

The fit and finish of the razor that I have received are perfect. No issues in terms of blade alignment or anything. This is my third razor from IB and all three are perfect, without any flaws. They don't feel like prototype at all.

Before going for the shave just by reading reviews and information about the razor I got an impression, that it is going to be a mild razor. But just by looking at it it seems that it has more blade flare than my Merkur 34c or Edwin Jagger DE89L. Indeed the shave was not mild. I could feel the blade on my face. First shave was on a 3 day heavy growth. I just felt slight dragging on my upper leap, I feel more dragging using Muhle R41. It felt like an aggressive razor to me in the first pass. But unlike other aggressive razors the ATG was much smoother and it didn't give me any irritation.

The second shave was even better. I used the same blade and same setup. I think any new razor it takes one or two shaves in the beginning to have a feel for it. Though the razor was quite light, I didn't apply any pressure and the razor just went through my whiskers like butter. I am really impressed with efficiency of the razor. After 3 passes I didn't need any clean up pass. I got a really close DFS, which I can achieve with, 4 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG and clean up) and more aggressive razors. At the same time there were no nicks or irritations.

In my opinion the razor is really efficient. Its as efficient as my Muhle R41. But I would put Razorock Stealth Slant stainless steel/ Aluminium and ATT slant S2, ahead in terms of smoothness. To sum up

Smoothness (ease of use and glide): Razorock stealth slant stainless steel> ATT S2> Razorock stealth slant Aluminium> Baby smooth > Merkur 34c/ Edwin Jagger > Muhle R41

Efficiency/Aggressiveness : Baby Smooth> Muhle R41> Razorock stealth slant stainless steel> ATT S2> Razorock stealth slant Aluminium> Merkur 34c/ Edwin Jagger

Overall the RRBS is a great razor. It gives one of the best irritation free DFS of all of my razors. Its certainly a keeper and will be in my regular rotation. I would love to make it my primary travel razor, but would not take a chance because of its low availability. Merkur 34 c will be my travel razor as, if I loose it it doesn't cost much and I can get another one easily.

In a nutshell its quite a unique razor, in terms of irritation free effective shaver. Would recommend it any day. Everyone should experience the beautiful piece of art. I think the way the blade flares and bends, makes it more effective. And because of the small blade gap it doesn't give any irritations. Thanks to Joe for bringing this amazing razor in the market, I hope both RRBS and RRSS comes to production soon. Everyone should get a chance to experience these beautiful razors. Next target is The Hawk!

Excellent review! Thanks for posting it. I agree about with your initial impression that the RRBS was going to be a mild razor. It turns out, at least in my opinion, to clearly not be the case.

I used the RRBS for a vintage (except for the RRBS, obviously) themed shave this morning. The more I use this razor, the better shaves in getting.

I find this razor to be quite mild. I wonder why the difference in perceptions on the razor's mildness. Could it be that some inconsistencies in machining have given different razors different blade exposures?

I find this razor to be quite mild. I wonder why the difference in perceptions on the razor's mildness. Could it be that some inconsistencies in machining have given different razors different blade exposures?

Personal preferences and faces etc, YMMV and all that.

More likely differences in personal perception and understanding of the terms used to describe.

I think of mild and aggressive in terms of feel during shaving. If it feels smooth and safe and little to no notice of blade, I think Mild. If it feels sharp, I feel that blade and know I best be careful or I'll hurt myself, I think Aggressive.

I think of how well it gets the job done in terms of efficiency. How well it shaves away hair, how many passes I'll need, how close it gets, does it take any extra work, pressure or technique.

Put these two criteria together, and you can describe a razor pretty well. Think of those annoying surveys: Very Mild, Mild, Somewhat Mild, Balanced, Somewhat Aggressive, Aggressive, Very Aggressive. Same for Efficiency: Inefficient, Somewhat Efficient, Efficient, Very Efficient. You get the idea :) Here's some examples as I rank them:

Stealth Slant: Very Mild and Efficient
Baby Smooth: Mild and Efficient
Gillette Tech: Mild and Somewhat Efficient
FaTip: Aggressive and Efficient
R41: Very Aggressive and Very Efficient

But like I said, that's just me. No one's really standardized it around here :)

Last edited:
For me, aggressiveness is usually related to blade gap. Take the RR Slab, for example, significant blade gap that'll teach you a lesson in a hurry if you're not careful. If careful, it mows down your beard like it was the special forces of razors.

More likely differences in personal perception and understanding of the terms used to describe.

I think of mild and aggressive in terms of feel during shaving. If it feels smooth and safe and little to no notice of blade, I think Mild. If it feels sharp, I feel that blade and know I best be careful or I'll hurt myself, I think Aggressive.

I think of how well it gets the job done in terms of efficiency. How well it shaves away hair, how many passes I'll need, how close it gets, does it take any extra work, pressure or technique.

Put these two criteria together, and you can describe a razor pretty well. Think of those annoying surveys: Very Mild, Mild, Somewhat Mild, Balanced, Somewhat Aggressive, Aggressive, Very Aggressive. Same for Efficiency: Inefficient, Somewhat Efficient, Efficient, Very Efficient. You get the idea :) Here's some examples as I rank them:

Stealth Slant: Very Mild and Efficient
Baby Smooth: Mild and Efficient
Gillette Tech: Mild and Somewhat Efficient
FaTip: Aggressive and Efficient
R41: Very Aggressive and Very Efficient

But like I said, that's just me. No one's really standardized it around here :)

This was my thought on it as well. I would call it a pretty mild razor but that's no reflection on the effort needed to get a very close shave which is minimal. It's very efficient. But because there is little to no irritation afterward and I don't feel the need to be very cautious with it (other than resisting the tendency to use too much pressure) I would call it mild.

Mild and efficient. In my opinion this is the ideal TL; DR descriptor for this razor.

I've often thought a formula that say weight, gap, exposure, etc. were plugged into might be more objective. And (just to illustrate) say the output generated from mildest to wildest DE razors say 25 to 100 just to grab some numbers for conversational purposes. Let's say I get along better with milder razors that ranked 30 to 45 on the scale, then I might stand a better chance of knowing what to expect when ordering a razor that was ranked at a 42, or know not to order razors ranked at 26 or 55 etc.

Anyone have that formula in their back pocket?

I guess I'll be the contrarian.

I didn't like my RRBS. Finish was retail level, but mine did have some blade wiggle. I used a few different blades and a different handle. At the end of the day, it was just way too light and mild for me (RRBS head is almost 1/3 the weight of the Ikon SC 101 head). Had the head been made out of steel or brass, I probably would've really enjoyed the experience.

I guess I'll be the contrarian.

I didn't like my RRBS. Finish was retail level, but mine did have some blade wiggle. I used a few different blades and a different handle. At the end of the day, it was just way too light and mild for me (RRBS head is almost 1/3 the weight of the Ikon SC 101 head). Had the head been made out of steel or brass, I probably would've really enjoyed the experience.

Fair enough. I thought it would've been too light for me also; however, I was pleasantly surprised. This thread was started to garner opinions and all relevant opinions are welcome. I'm sure it'll be useful to at least for a nice trade.

I've been using mine pretty solidly for about a week. I really like it. Provides a very close shave, like many have said, with no irritation. A mild but close shave is always a nice thing.

Has anyone else not tightened the head all the way and then shaved (keep the head a bit loose), I have tried this a bit and it provides a slightly more efficient shave (could be a placebo effect though). Perhaps this is a reason some are saying it is super mild and others are saying it isn't mild at all...

Has anyone else not tightened the head all the way and then shaved (keep the head a bit loose), I have tried this a bit and it provides a slightly more efficient shave (could be a placebo effect though). Perhaps this is a reason some are saying it is super mild and others are saying it isn't mild at all...

Excellent observation Erik. Pairing that with the comment by a few that they cleaned milled shavings out of the threads could explain some of the variations in observations:thumbup1:.

Top Bottom