What's new

RazoRock Baby Smooth DE

I'm still using my RRBS. At this point, I have the right "touch" with this razor and can zoom through my shave quite inattentively. Close and smooth. I'm very happy with it.

Has anyone else not tightened the head all the way and then shaved (keep the head a bit loose), I have tried this a bit and it provides a slightly more efficient shave (could be a placebo effect though). Perhaps this is a reason some are saying it is super mild and others are saying it isn't mild at all...

I would do that always as it's an aluminum razor and the threads therefore could be more susceptible to stripping.

HI,
got my RRBBS razor yesterday a very nice looking unit,all parts fit together with no issues.my first shave was today using a Red Asco blade,not the best! 3 pass shave with no nicks or cuts but some slight irritation of the chin,my fault too much pressure! razor is light but has a bit of heft and the handle is great even with wet hands! razor is mild but efficient and i was very happy with results first time out! thanks

HI,
got my RRBBS razor yesterday a very nice looking unit,all parts fit together with no issues.my first shave was today using a Red Asco blade,not the best! 3 pass shave with no nicks or cuts but some slight irritation of the chin,my fault too much pressure! razor is light but has a bit of heft and the handle is great even with wet hands! razor is mild but efficient and i was very happy with results first time out! thanks

Nice to hear. I agree that the handle is easy to grip even with wet hands.

After four shaves with the RRBS I am prepared to share my initial impressions.

To be honest, I was a bit underwhelmed by the first shave. I loaded my go-to Astra SP (perfectly aligned with zero fiddling on the first try—more on this later), created an excellent lather with Tabac and my Omega 49, and began what ended up being an extremely comfortable yet average shave in terms of closeness. However, I loved the weight, the handle length and grip, and felt certain that the quality of the shave would improve after spending more time with the RRBS.

The second shave was phenomenal. This was day two on the same Astra but this time I opted for green tube Proraso. I seem to have honed in on the RRBS's sweet spot during this three-pass shave, and was rewarded with a completely irritation-free BBS that lasted almost all day. In fact, there was very little to shave the next morning, which is unusual for me.

Days three and four were very good but not quite as outstanding as day two (same Astra). Close, comfortable, and no irritation whatsoever. I have shaved with a Weber almost exclusively for the last three years and while I love the razor, I almost always get some minor irritation on my neck. The RRBS seems to possess a balance of closeness and comfort that I have not yet experienced in any other razor (although my Merkur 45 bakelite comes close).

After the fourth shave I discarded the Astra and loaded a Feather in anticipation of my next shave. However, I couldn't get the blade aligned after a half dozen or so attempts to get a reasonably consistent gap. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that the Feather is slightly thinner than the Astra?? I have no idea… I set the RRBS aside and plan to straighten things out (ahem) tomorrow morning.

After a few days with my Stealth V1, I reached for the Baby Smooth again....Popped in a SI and got a great shave.

I had no issues changing to a traditional angle and it was nice to have the same handle and weight that I am used to.

2 pass, near BBS, same as I get from my V1.

After four shaves with the RRBS I am prepared to share my initial impressions.

To be honest, I was a bit underwhelmed by the first shave. I loaded my go-to Astra SP (perfectly aligned with zero fiddling on the first try—more on this later), created an excellent lather with Tabac and my Omega 49, and began what ended up being an extremely comfortable yet average shave in terms of closeness. However, I loved the weight, the handle length and grip, and felt certain that the quality of the shave would improve after spending more time with the RRBS.

The second shave was phenomenal. This was day two on the same Astra but this time I opted for green tube Proraso. I seem to have honed in on the RRBS's sweet spot during this three-pass shave, and was rewarded with a completely irritation-free BBS that lasted almost all day. In fact, there was very little to shave the next morning, which is unusual for me.

Days three and four were very good but not quite as outstanding as day two (same Astra). Close, comfortable, and no irritation whatsoever. I have shaved with a Weber almost exclusively for the last three years and while I love the razor, I almost always get some minor irritation on my neck. The RRBS seems to possess a balance of closeness and comfort that I have not yet experienced in any other razor (although my Merkur 45 bakelite comes close).

After the fourth shave I discarded the Astra and loaded a Feather in anticipation of my next shave. However, I couldn't get the blade aligned after a half dozen or so attempts to get a reasonably consistent gap. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that the Feather is slightly thinner than the Astra?? I have no idea… I set the RRBS aside and plan to straighten things out (ahem) tomorrow morning.

Nice review. Interesting experience with the Feather blade. So far I've only used Voskhod and GSB blades and have had no significant blade alignment issues beyond having to eyeball it straight before tightening the top cap.

Last edited:
After having this for a little while I think I'm ready to make some comments on it. This thing products an amazingly close efficient shave everyday I use it. Along with that it had truly trained me to use no pressure. I now see myself shaving much better with my older razors because of this. Today however I did notice my first negative thing about this razor. Was a busy week and did not get to shave for a good few days. Finally shaved this morning and the baby smooth being the mild shaver that it is had a difficult time getting thru! After seeing this, I switched over to my slab and was able to mow right thru it. This really must be either a daily or every other day shaver. Besides this, the thing is amazing and I would easily call it the best razor I've owned. Makes me very excited to get a stealth!

After having this for a little while I think I'm ready to make some comments on it. This thing products an amazingly close efficient shave everyday I use it. Along with that it had truly trained me to use no pressure. I now see myself shaving much better with my older razors because of this. Today however I did notice my first negative thing about this razor. Was a busy week and did not get to shave for a good few days. Finally shaved this morning and the baby smooth being the mild shaver that it is had a difficult time getting thru! After seeing this, I switched over to my slab and was able to mow right thru it. This really must be either a daily or every other day shaver. Besides this, the thing is amazing and I would easily call it the best razor I've owned. Makes me very excited to get a stealth!

I was back using my straights for a bit, but due to a very early morning rise, I busted out the RRBS. Three days growth and the RRBS mowed it down pretty handily. I have a thicker than average beard and like you touched on, I was going to use a wide open Mergress to shave down my multi day growth. At the last second, I changed my mind and used the RRBS instead.

My RRBS came while I was in Vegas for the Pac-12 basketball tournament. So I knew it was there for 4 days, but I couldn't try it!

When I got home I used the RRBS the next day with two days growth. For the first shave I used Mike's Barbershop shave soap and an Astra SP blade.

The fit and finish for my razor is perfect. The threading is flawless as well.

The shave was very smooth, but after my normal 3 passes I still had some issues on my chin and neck. These are always my trouble areas, but I'm generally stubborn about getting a BBS.

So my touchup pass turned into pretty much another full pass. In the end I think I pushed too hard trying to get completely smooth and ended with quite a bit of irritation.

My second and third shaves used the same blade but different soaps. The results were similar.

So I think I still need to work on figuring out the right amount of light pressure in the right spots to get the shave I want without irritation.

My next shave with this razor will be with a sharper blade (7 o'clock yellow maybe) to see if that helps a bit.

I think they're overrated as well. Middle of the road shave. And, worst of all, they're covered in that damn glue! I hate that glue!
Astra's work pretty well for me and have become my standard. I recently tried Bolzano because of the reviews I've heard and they just did not seem to live up to the hype at all!

Astra's work pretty well for me and have become my standard. I recently tried Bolzano because of the reviews I've heard and they just did not seem to live up to the hype at all!

I agree with those as well, not being that great. Its funny, because they used to have a low rep around here, and they seem to have grown out of that lately.

Personally, my favorites are the Russian blades: Rapiras, Voshkods, Ladas... They're pretty much my all around go to. Personna Labs aren't bad either, but seem to be more razor specific. I can handle Feathers too, and Gillette Silver Blues, at least after shave 1, but again, they're glue blades so automatically loose points in my book :)

Astra's are my favorite overall blade in many razors, but I didn't enjoy it in the RRBS. I have only tried one blade though, so it could have just been that blade.

I used a Gilette 7'OClock yellow this morning, and got a much better shave. I'm thinking for me the RRBS may pair better with sharper blades, but I have a lot of shaves before I can determine that for sure.

Astra SP's are just OK in the Baby Smooth. Pol Silvers are amazing! The steep blade angle tames Feathers and the ultra sharp Russian blades. Fear not!!!

Top Bottom