What's new

RazoRock Baby Smooth DE

I find razor blades the hardest of all shave gear for sampling. I have a handful of blades that I like and use and can't bring myself to test a blade that isn't proven to me.

After a bit more time with my Baby Smooth and rotating with my Stealth V1, the Baby Smooth has won me over. It is now the top razor in my collection and a joy to use.

I have been using it with a Super Iridium and getting great shaves. I also switched up PreShave and Lather products, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Both give me amazing, trouble free results and maybe it's all in my head, but I do like using the Traditional Angle and Head Shape a bit more then the V1. I have to go a tiny bit slower with the Baby Smooth and pay a bit more attention, but the shave seems a bit closer, very small margin though, microscopic actually.

After a bit more time with my Baby Smooth and rotating with my Stealth V1, the Baby Smooth has won me over. It is now the top razor in my collection and a joy to use.

I have been using it with a Super Iridium and getting great shaves. I also switched up PreShave and Lather products, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Both give me amazing, trouble free results and maybe it's all in my head, but I do like using the Traditional Angle and Head Shape a bit more then the V1. I have to go a tiny bit slower with the Baby Smooth and pay a bit more attention, but the shave seems a bit closer, very small margin though, microscopic actually.

I'm surprised to hear this. But you are a "details" type of guy and I'm confident in your findings. I've been using my straights lately, but I plan on alternating between the RRBS and the V1 SS when I'm back working early days in a couple weeks.

I used the RRBS steady last time and slipped in a quick shave with the V1 that caused me to pause. It was a great shave and felt no better and no worse than the RRBS. This compels me to have a little competition between the two when I have the chance.

While I enjoy many different razor types, from mild to wild, there is something unique about the RRBS that I have not found in other razors. When I use it with GSB blades, it is the blade that is the dominant sensation, yet the result is the most comfortable shaves a fellow could ask for.
Excellent combination of blade exposure and weight. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. I've used my RRBS for a week straight and it is easily one of the best razors I own. I bought it with hopes that it could be a smooth daily driver for me, and it has certainly lived up to those expectations. I even grew out a 3 day growth to push its horsepower....no problem. This baby can do it all.

So today I had an all Italian/Canadian-Italian shave:

RRBS razor
Bozano blade
Omega 30125 Brush
Prorasso Pre-Shave (Sensitive Skin)
Omega Alum block
Razorock XXX Shave soap
Razorock XXX Aftershave

Fully 3 passed (WTG, ATG, XTG) and zero touch up. Holy moly! Smooth and BBS. My 7 year old son commented my face was a smooth as his!

i posted a pic in the italian barber thread but since this is the baby smooth thread ill post a few here... the baby smooth (with corner fixed) in brushed finish with clear anodize...(the handle is also done ill be picking that up tomm this is the black one from my second baby smooth). I LOVE this thing this way. it looks better even in person then in the pics. and imo its even smoother (if it can even be that?) to shave with. i find for some reason it glides better for me this way. and imperfections in the head that were there (a few very minor marks and the one bad corner) have been removed and any specks you see are either dust or from my fingers. its spotless in person. the very bottom of the baseplate did not get the brushed finish since i did not feel it needed it. but the top of the baseplate is also brushed as well. my other one will be getting the same treatment this week.

$P1000037.jpg$P1000031.jpgView attachment 560724$P1000043.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I hope all is well with each of you and your families.

I don't recall ever posting a review on any shaving items other than an opinion here and there, but I will give it a go today.

I just received some supplies from ItalianBarber (IB) and when I made the order a few days ago, I impulsively ordered the new Baby Smooth by RazoRock. The funny thing (or sad thing...depending how you look at it...) about this impulsive order is that the Baby Smooth is pretty much everything I do NOT want in a DE razor. I have always preferred heavier razors with larger blade gaps.

For example, I usually use my long handled Mergress set to 4-4.5, my RR SLAB or my RR Jaws OC. I have the RR V1 Stealth Slant as well as the original stainless steel version. I like the RR slants; however, I find that I don't get shaves as close as I like. The trade off with the RR slants is that I can really whip through my morning shave when I'm pressed for time.

The Baby Smooth is advertised as a razor designed for sensitive skin and daily shaving. I don't have sensitive skin and have tried "mild" razors without much success. In fact, the only time I get significant irritation is when I try to mow down my tough beard with a mild razor. It takes too many passes and scrapes the hell out of my face.

Here are the Specifications (from IB website):

Complete Length : ~98mm

Handle Length: ~91mm

Handle Diameter: ~12mm

Handle Butt end Diameter: ~14mm

Weight: ~39 grams (1.4oz)

Material: 6061 aluminum

Finish: Black Anodized finish

Build: CNC machined head (billet), CNC lathe turned handle (rod)

I had two days of beard growth and set up what I call my "benchmark" shave. I try any new razor with Proraso preshave (white) and Proraso soap (white).

Three effortless passes and a true BBS (to my absolute satisfaction). This razor is really smooth. It shaves far better than I anticipated and I'm totally surprised that the minimal blade gap proved to be so efficient. There's plenty of blade exposure, but the gap is very small. I'm also surprised that the light weight of the razor did not adversely affect my shave.

I had had already told myself that I would PIF this razor after confirming it was way too mild to shave to my satisfaction. I was dead wrong. I'm keeping this one. I don't know how (nor do I possess the engineering savy) to explain why this razor duped me, but in my opinion, this razor works as advertised. It's also priced in a very fair range.

I'll add a couple of pics below. I tried to capture the blade exposure and gap with my iPhone, so these pics aren't great. I'd love to hear some more informed opinions on this razor.

All my best, gents.
I'll stick with my Feather AS-D2 thanks.

Enjoy. I haven't touched my $200 Feather since the day I got my $50 Baby Smooth.

Nice.
It is an outstanding razor and had pushed my SLAB to the backburner which surprised me since I love the SLAB.
I still do but I mainly use it for shaves where I have 3-4 days growth (rare) and the wider blade gap on the SLAB seems more clog-proof.
Most days it's the Baby Smooth though, it's an effortlessly great shave. In my opinion it blends what I liked about cartridge razors with what I love about DE; the shave is quick & effortless like a cartridge but nice and close with zero irritation like a DE.
Like most all of us I don't like mindless shilling or rabid fanboy-ism but I think Joe enjoys what he does and puts quite a lot of thought into these razors and it shows.
I hope the BBS ends up back in production even if it's a limited run because I want one for my Dopp kit. Could be the ideal travel/gym razor.

I have both the Feather AS-D2 and the Baby Smooth and I know Joe from Razorock has said this is a hobby but I agree he placed a lot of thought into both the Baby Smooth and Stealth Slant. The Baby Smooth is a better razor by far for me. Wonderful shave.

I have both the Feather AS-D2 and the Baby Smooth and I know Joe from Razorock has said this is a hobby but I agree he placed a lot of thought into both the Baby Smooth and Stealth Slant. The Baby Smooth is a better razor by far for me. Wonderful shave.

The RRBS might be my favorite razor in my modest collection. However, I just received an AS-D2 and Wolfman OC this morning (both were on my must try list) and I'm looking forward to comparing these to the RRBS and Weber (another favorite) over the coming weeks. I will post my impressions in due time...

I've been using an RRBS and a recently picked up a 34C. The RRBS is an exceptional razor; the feel and shave were near perfect for me. Enter the 34C: this slightly more aggressive razor has become my go-to daily razor. So I've been thinking about selling the RRBS. I really thought it was 'the' razor for me, the shaves have been effortless with the Baby Smooth.

But, for me, I find the 34C delivers the efficiency I need in a daily shave. However, when my other razors, Techs and DE89, were not getting it done for me, the RRBS got me back into looking forward to daily shaving; then the 34C took me where I want to be. I know each of us has our preferences in shave gear--I'll have to chalk this one up to experience.

Regardless of the above, I think the consensus on this thread is that Joe/RR did a great job of designing and manufacturing an exceptional razor. Kudos to RazoRock.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:
Gentlemen: the RRBS is no longer available.

Last edited:
Have their been any rumors floating around about RazoRock firing up another production run of these? I like the looks of the head design. If they push out another batch I'll have to pull the trigger on one.

I tend to use razors for weeks, sometimes months in a row. I was a Tech guy for probably a couple years, then a FB, then a Mamba and then back to the FB.

Today I decided to try my RR BabySmooth from the initial run. I don't know if it's any different than the current ones, but it was a good as I remembered it

One pass is all I do and it's all I needed with this one again. I hope it continues to be as efficient and I can keep with it a few weeks or months

I tend to rotate out, only when I start having a few bad shaves in a row. Likely due to becoming to relaxed and casual with whatever razor I'm using.

I liked it so much I ordered another one in a different color right after receiving the first one. A mild razor is a MUST for me and this one works well with an Astra SP or any blade around that level of sharpness.

For comparison, I'd say it is just a HAIR more aggressive than the Rockwell 2C on the R3 setting.

Top Bottom