What's new

Muhle R41,The combined thread

What are you doing with the R41?

• I used it, I didnt like it, Im getting rid of it

• I used it, I liked it, Im keeping it

• I used it, it cut me and/or irritated me, but the jury is still out

Results are only viewable after voting.
did u check the mail yet?

Well, I ordered it last night and live so far from the country of origin that they used to send their convicts here. So I'd say it will arrive in a couple of weeks ........ when I'm on holiday. So it bums me to say I won't be trying this one for a while.

I hope my 2011 (and 2010 just for the sake of it) R41 arrives early next week. So far the Fatip is my #1 for a smooth and aggressive shave and I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares.

@KM Instructor-

Can I kindly ask you to post some of your beautiful handle conversions here?
If I remember well, you had some beautiful work done by BRW?

I could not find them in the search (my fault I guess).

I think the readers of this thread would love to see these pictures of your six-pack.
I would!

So is it for you or just a another razor that you may or may not use daily with the proper pre shaves?

For the time being it's more practical as a weekend razor for me. I do use it occasionally during the week when I have the time but I don't ever want to feel rushed. If I feel even remotely pressed for time in the morning it's a no go. Right now, sleep is a precious commodity at my house where the world gets set in motion each day (and throughout the night) by the screaming of my son.

Wim,

Shane (KM-Instructor) posted the pics here. Maybe in another place, too, but this is where I find it. Enjoy. I am going to get the bottom-most handle very soon. See his review.

@KM Instructor-

I think the readers of this thread would love to see these pictures of your six-pack.
I would!

@KM Instructor-

I would!
here

Let me add my voice to the chorus. The R41 has been a game-changer for me -- an amazing shaving tool. I still enjoy my Old Types and Micromatic OCs, but I keep going back to the R41.

I only wish it came in a gold finish.
So this is your MVP of razors, cool....Gold would be hot.
Alex

Once you have found the right angle for you it is a pleasure to use. I was beginning to find that using my vintage razors was a walk in the park. This razor makes you remember the basics!

Charles
Is tht good or bad?
Well, I ordered it last night and live so far from the country of origin that they used to send their convicts here. So I'd say it will arrive in a couple of weeks ........ when I'm on holiday. So it bums me to say I won't be trying this one for a while.
LOL, England did that because back then the island was remote and hard to get to from society. however that should not slow down the postal service:001_tt2:...let us know when u get it.:wink2:
I hope my 2011 (and 2010 just for the sake of it) R41 arrives early next week. So far the Fatip is my #1 for a smooth and aggressive shave and I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares.
Yes , let us know how ti compares.
Your in for a nice surprise then.

@KM Instructor-

I would!
see my pics of the 6 packs of KM.
For the time being it's more practical as a weekend razor for me. I do use it occasionally during the week when I have the time but I don't ever want to feel rushed. If I feel even remotely pressed for time in the morning it's a no go. Right now, sleep is a precious commodity at my house where the world gets set in motion each day (and throughout the night) by the screaming of my son.
Hey, congrats on your baby, at least it's worth staying up for your bundle of joy.:drool:

Wim,

Shane (KM-Instructor) posted the pics here. Maybe in another place, too, but this is where I find it. Enjoy. I am going to get the bottom-most handle very soon. See his review.
:w00t:

This morning I had my first shave with the R41.

The first thing I noticed about the razor (after how classy it is) when setting the blade (I used the Derby which came with it) was the weight and balance of the razor. IMO it is just right for me, better than anything else I've tried before.

I lathered up with my Omega 10048 and Proraso soap and began shaving with the R41. After shaving my cheeks, I wondered what all the talk of danger was about. I was getting a fantastically close shave though. I moved onto the neck and I noticed how much of the flat hair this razor was picking up, and yet it felt mild. Yes, it is that smooth. I completed my usual W/X/X routine but I was hungry for more so I threw in an ATG pass. I have never experienced a BBS with so little effort.

No nicks, no irritation, no stubble! If I could have only one razor, I'd pick the 2011 Mühle R41 with no hesitation.

I'm looking forward to see how the R41 performs with 7 o'Clocks, Astra SPs and Personna Reds.

I ordered one 10 days ago from Connaught Shaving in the UK. It's not here yet and the waiting sucks, but I'm on a budget and the price was irresistible.

The first thing I noticed about the razor (after how classy it is) when setting the blade (I used the Derby which came with it) was the weight and balance of the razor. IMO it is just right for me, better than anything else I've tried before.

I lathered up with my Omega 10048 and Proraso soap and began shaving with the R41. After shaving my cheeks, I wondered what all the talk of danger was about. I was getting a fantastically close shave though. I moved onto the neck and I noticed how much of the flat hair this razor was picking up, and yet it felt mild. Yes, it is that smooth. I completed my usual W/X/X routine but I was hungry for more so I threw in an ATG pass. I have never experienced a BBS with so little effort.

No nicks, no irritation, no stubble! If I could have only one razor, I'd pick the 2011 Mühle R41 with no hesitation.

I'm looking forward to see how the R41 performs with 7 o'Clocks, Astra SPs and Personna Reds.
great review, Let us know how it shaves with the different blades.

How does the r41 compare to the r89?
?
Easier to use, better shave, more nimble.
Thanks for the answer.
How does this one compare to the Merkur open combs?
:confused1
I ordered one 10 days ago from Connaught Shaving in the UK. It's not here yet and the waiting sucks, but I'm on a budget and the price was irresistible.
Connaught do have great prices, well worth the wait. Jim turned me on to the Connaught site.

I have a Fa Tip (rebranded as a Muhle), Joris, and an R41. I think if you like the Fa Tip you will like the Muhle as well. The Fa Tip is a touch smoother, from what I can tell. Joris still seems to be the most agressive. the Muhle, most precise.

I'll be posting up a 3 way comparison as soon as I have time.

It's very PRECISE.
I would agree.

Ok, I've got two shaves under my belt with the 2011 R41. Thanks to Razor blades and more for the fast service. My very early, initial reactions:

My setup included Proraso white tub soap. Blade of choice was the Personna Lab Blue. Also, I'm a shower shaver, which is wonderful prep.

DFS with two WTG passes! The first pass seems different than other razors I've used. I hesistate to say aggressive or rough, because it did not feel bad on my skin. Different though. The second pass was smooth as butter. Also, as a shower shaver I appreciate the audible feedback from the razor, as it can be difficult to hear over the shower running, and I don't like turning the water off to shave. No cuts, nicks, weepers, nothing. The Barbasol Pacific Rush stung a bit afterward, but no more than after any other shave.

Going to continue this routine for 5 more days, hoping to continue to get a feel for the tool, and I absolutley describe this razor as a tool. After 7 days, I'll substitute one of the WTG passes for an ATG. The expectation is that it will result in a near BBS. The only reason it may not is to go against the grain on my neck is more of XTG type motion for most, due to the growth pattern of my beard. I'll want more experience with the razor before attempting that motion on my neck.

Unlike most, I'm not too impressed by the razor's aesthetics. The handle is bright, but to me looks almost tacky, in a costume jewlery sort of way. The handle also has a light feel, especially compared to the slim adjustable I've been using, and even the EJ89.

Will be interested in seeing how long the blade holds up. I usually toss after three uses, and 4 passes have been my norm. Early results tell my 4 passes will be overkill with this razor.

Will check back in after another 5 shaves or so.

I'm two shaves in as well, first with a Feather, second just now with a Schick plus Platinum. While I usually prefer a Feather over the Schick, in the R41 I liked the Schick better. Definitely an aggressive beast, and you can get a super close shave for sure.

It's just two shaves, but so far I love the results you can achieve with it, but I dislike the handling, I had to unlearn the muscle-memory I've learned from my other DE's (37c, Slim and LP1822L) I feel like I have to use it a lot before it will become natural and smooth like when I use my slant. Now it feels awkward.
As I shave with straights 95% of the time, I'm not sure if I'm willing to invest the time to be honest.

To push it a little I did a 4-pass shave, going very lightly and carefully, just like using my straights.
The alum block didn't sting the least bit. And quite the close shave to put it mildly.

Initial impression:If you are dedicated to really learn to handle this razor, you'll be rewarded with the closest DE shave possible, this is DE 2.0

How does the r41 compare to the r89?

Easier to use, better shave, more nimble.

How does this one compare to the Merkur open combs?

Ok, I've got two shaves under my belt with the 2011 R41. Thanks to Razor blades and more for the fast service. My very early, initial reactions:

My setup included Proraso white tub soap. Blade of choice was the Personna Lab Blue. Also, I'm a shower shaver, which is wonderful prep.

DFS with two WTG passes! The first pass seems different than other razors I've used. I hesistate to say aggressive or rough, because it did not feel bad on my skin. Different though. The second pass was smooth as butter. Also, as a shower shaver I appreciate the audible feedback from the razor, as it can be difficult to hear over the shower running, and I don't like turning the water off to shave. No cuts, nicks, weepers, nothing. The Barbasol Pacific Rush stung a bit afterward, but no more than after any other shave.

Going to continue this routine for 5 more days, hoping to continue to get a feel for the tool, and I absolutley describe this razor as a tool. After 7 days, I'll substitute one of the WTG passes for an ATG. The expectation is that it will result in a near BBS. The only reason it may not is to go against the grain on my neck is more of XTG type motion for most, due to the growth pattern of my beard. I'll want more experience with the razor before attempting that motion on my neck.

Unlike most, I'm not too impressed by the razor's aesthetics. The handle is bright, but to me looks almost tacky, in a costume jewlery sort of way. The handle also has a light feel, especially compared to the slim adjustable I've been using, and even the EJ89.

Will be interested in seeing how long the blade holds up. I usually toss after three uses, and 4 passes have been my norm. Early results tell my 4 passes will be overkill with this razor.

Will check back in after another 5 shaves or so.
Sounds great, let us know how the next few shaves come out, also how long the blade last. It's very helpful to our community as a whole that you and other members keep us informed on this great razor, I reassure you that the information is being used for our benefit.

Top Bottom