What's new

Muhle R41,The combined thread

What are you doing with the R41?

• I used it, I didnt like it, Im getting rid of it

• I used it, I liked it, Im keeping it

• I used it, it cut me and/or irritated me, but the jury is still out

Results are only viewable after voting.
Going to have to one day try one of these, as they seem to be quite the rage. It is a looker, and an aggressive razor can be a godsend for those who like quick without berserker buffing and the like and less passes and less iretation is a plus IF one adapts to the new technique of using one like this.

I like it because
1. It makes me really pay attention to the details of the shave (prep, lather/lubrication, shave technique).
2. It reduces my shave to 1 pass WTG everywhere and then 1 pass XTG above the jawline. 1 pass on my neck is
all I need. No other razor can do my neck in 1 one pass and basically cover the old ATG stroke (which was a pain).
3. Zero irritation with good technique.
4. The razor forces me to continue to explore improvements in technique.
5. When I'm done, it's a close shave.

Give one a try!

BTW I have mine on a BRW XL handle.

Last edited:
For me, the R41 gives me the closest shaves with the least amount of irritation. I've tried the EJ DE89, and several various vintage Gillettes (adj and non-adj) and I have had some degree of irritation on each. I was even surprised that such an aggressive razor would give me such excellent results. I am and R41 owner and I wholeheartedly stand up for it!
So compared to the EJ its agressive but in a good way. not too aggressive.
I have one and swear by it.

I won't go as far as to say that I do not like or appreciate my other razors any more, but the new R41 certainly fits my style of shaving perfectly. Using a very light stroke after a good prep this razor provides very effective results. I do shave in the shower, do use a good soap and lather and certainly I do not recommend this razor for people who insist on 4 or 5 passes.

For the daily 2 pass shave, this razor is hard to beat.

I am one of those who regret that we do not seem to have a better word for it than 'aggressive'. Muhle themselves calls the shaving 'close' and 'direct' and that is how I would describe it also. I have never had nicks or weepers with a R41, which I found amazing. I used it for three weeks exclusively, no damage at all, and as soon as I went back to my beloved NEW I managed to nick myself in the first shave.

The design is quite unique, the razor does not look like any other in the collection. Nor does it sound like the others - this one is loud. It is in no way a regular design with another brand name, nor does it look like anything open comb I have seen before.

It is also Muhle quality, in other words flawlessly built. And in the same Muhle tradition, as with the R89, the type numbers over the years are pretty confusing.

Is it the best razor today? I don't know. What I can say it is probably my best razor. I haven't had a chance to see and test a Joris or a Pils myself. Those look stunning and very high quality also.
The new R41 may - as is often observed - not be a beginner's razor, but I think it deserves a place in many rotations.

I put my money where my mouth is and bought all three versions of it; chrome, black and white :001_smile
So you think its the head design and quality that makes it a functional yet a quality razor. The description of aggressiveness is not precise as to the way it wont nick you as would the NEW razor after a readjustment. Very interesting view, so you think its about as good as it gets according to what you have tried to date?

I ordered one because it is unlike any other razor that is currently available.
There are many others, what do you mean? Are you just going with the hype?
It's very PRECISE.

Definition of PRECISE from MW:
1: exactly or sharply defined or stated
2: minutely exact
3: strictly conforming to a pattern, standard, or convention
4: distinguished from every other <at just that precise moment>

"Precise" might be better description than "aggressive".
What about your shaving techniques and experience?
Thanks! That's a good way to coin the performance indeed.
:wink2:

Sure. That "aggressive" bit was kinda bugging me. I've never owned an "aggressive" piece of cutlery.
What do you mean? Is it for you? and why?

Mine should arrive anyday now. Hoping to get a close, two-pass shave with no irritation. I've went from the EJ89 to a Slim Adjustable set on 9. Also, haven't shed a drop of blood in weeks, and hope that doesn't change with 2011 R41. I suppose no pressure, and slow going still stands with this razor?

If the price was right, I'd order it up. I'm probably not ready to use it and I am trying not to spend $$ right now, but a deal is a deal!
What do you mean your not ready to use it?
I got 6 Alex and I swear by them, been shaving for close to 40 years and tried just about every type style and make of one sort or another, the New R41 is my all time go to razor bar none.
What is your experience, in terms of your other razors, how does this one compare.
I like aggressive razors and the 2011 Muhle R41 is the best razor I've owned, ever. I shave daily and I have never had so many comfortable BBS shaves. I had to test different blades in order to find the right one. The best blades were the Personna Med, Astra SP, Perma Sharps (Russian) and Personna Labs.
If you didn't have these blades, would you still consider it a "go to razor" with an outstanding head design? or just another razor?
If I was to step up to a modern razor the R41 would be my choice, second would be the EJ89
WHY? you didnt say why, you just posted a statement, give me some insight and experience.:wink2:
I too have a "Tooth Comb" R41. I have a good assortment of safety bar & open comb razors but the R41 "Tooth Comb" is a very different animal. The R41 is not a replacement for my other razors but it is a welcome alternative and addition to them.
Why is'nt it a replacement, are the other razors better? Which ones and how much better?

I use an R41 primarily because I wanted to experience a more "efficient" razor to compare to the only other DE razor I have ever used the DE89L... I also have to admit that when everyone on the board seems to say this razor isn't for beginners I took it on as a personal challenge being that I was a beginner.
So as a beginner you recommend this razor? How was your 1st pass and what did you do to prepare?

I like it because
1. It makes me really pay attention to the details of the shave (prep, lather/lubrication, shave technique).
2. It reduces my shave to 1 pass WTG everywhere and then 1 pass XTG above the jawline. 1 pass on my neck is
all I need. No other razor can do my neck in 1 one pass and basically cover the old ATG stroke (which was a pain).
3. Zero irritation with good technique.
4. The razor forces me to continue to explore improvements in technique.
5. When I'm done, it's a close shave.

Give one a try!

BTW I have mine on a BRW XL handle.

Thanks for all the input, can I see your Bob's Razor's handle on yours?

Mine should arrive anyday now. Hoping to get a close, two-pass shave with no irritation. I've went from the EJ89 to a Slim Adjustable set on 9. Also, haven't shed a drop of blood in weeks, and hope that doesn't change with 2011 R41. I suppose no pressure, and slow going still stands with this razor?

Let me know how it shaves you?

It's my most aggressive razor that I cannot seem to cut myself with. My 39c Slant does a far better job on my neck but I still get a few little nicks from it.

The R41 is money well spent.

I'm pretty happy with my Slim and SuperSpeed, but I'd definitely give an r41 a try.
let me know when and post it.:001_smile
I ordered one due to its reputation and am waiting for delivery
Post your results:wink2:
It's my most aggressive razor that I cannot seem to cut myself with. My 39c Slant does a far better job on my neck but I still get a few little nicks from it.

The R41 is money well spent.
Is the slant as good if it shaved your neck better? what do you think about a slant R41?

The Slant takes a lot of getting used to but man, it shaves close. I'm not sure a slant R41 would be an r41 but it is an interesting concept.

I can shave with my R41 without watching every little step I take. The Slant commands respect at all times.

What is your experience, in terms of your other razors, how does this one compare.

I have used pretty much most main stream razors from Gillettes Merks Hoffy EJ Muhle Apollo's Sweedo's Pils Joris Feathers yada yada and the R41 rocks it, sure it might not be the nicest looking razor but it does the job.

I don't think it's all hype. The R41 is by far the most distinguishable razor I have ever used in terms of how it feels on the face and the way it cuts. I guess the futur wide open might be the closest thing I have used, but I can still tell them apart without any doubt. I mean the safety bar might as well not be there, the blade makes contact at any angle between 10 and 80 degrees (I don't have one on hand, so my figures might be out by a bit, but it certainly puts a lot more control in the hands of the user than any other razor, hence the required technique). I've only had mine a few days and I'm not sure whether it will be my daily shave, but I definitely wont be getting rid of it as it is very enjoyable to use, and I think I like a challenge.

Top Bottom