What's new

Muhle R41,The combined thread

What are you doing with the R41?

• I used it, I didnt like it, Im getting rid of it

• I used it, I liked it, Im keeping it

• I used it, it cut me and/or irritated me, but the jury is still out

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have the R41 and love it. I also have the R101 in Black and White. After all the razors I have used I have finally found the ONE

I'm pretty happy with my Slim and SuperSpeed, but I'd definitely give an r41 a try.
Let us know, post results too>

The Slant takes a lot of getting used to but man, it shaves close. I'm not sure a slant R41 would be an r41 but it is an interesting concept.

I can shave with my R41 without watching every little step I take. The Slant commands respect at all times.
So if you would compare its that the r41 is similar to the slant in function but not aggressive as the slant if not paying attention. cool.
Waiting for the black handle to come in and I'm ordering it
let us know.....
What is your experience, in terms of your other razors, how does this one compare.

I have used pretty much most main stream razors from Gillettes Merks Hoffy EJ Muhle Apollo's Sweedo's Pils Joris Feathers yada yada and the R41 rocks it, sure it might not be the nicest looking razor but it does the job.
not nice looking, what would you recommend as a "designer eye catcher look"?
I don't think it's all hype. The R41 is by far the most distinguishable razor I have ever used in terms of how it feels on the face and the way it cuts. I guess the futur wide open might be the closest thing I have used, but I can still tell them apart without any doubt. I mean the safety bar might as well not be there, the blade makes contact at any angle between 10 and 80 degrees (I don't have one on hand, so my figures might be out by a bit, but it certainly puts a lot more control in the hands of the user than any other razor, hence the required technique). I've only had mine a few days and I'm not sure whether it will be my daily shave, but I definitely wont be getting rid of it as it is very enjoyable to use, and I think I like a challenge.
So its like a straight razor shave to you, but not a daily shaver...If it's such a great razor why not a everyday shaver?
'Cause I'm R41, yes I'm the real R41
All you other razors are just imitating

The R41 will sing to you as you shave! No joke.
Ok, Real Gillette SLIM shady

I have the R41 and love it. I also have the R101 in Black and White. After all the razors I have used I have finally found the ONE
THE ONE? why, can you pin it down, I need all your insight as a source of reference for me and others.

B&B hype ... sorry, enthusiasm ... strikes again! Personna Labs, Perma-Sharp Supers, Mitchell's Wool Fat, and now this! Can't wait 'til it arrives.

Alex,

I can honestly say that because of the closeness of shave and the lack of irritation, I really ONLY want to use the R41 on a daily basis. For me, it IS that good. I have had nothing but stellar shaves with this razor and really have only cut myself once because I was getting a little too confident.

Alex,

I can honestly say that because of the closeness of shave and the lack of irritation, I really ONLY want to use the R41 on a daily basis. For me, it IS that good. I have had nothing but stellar shaves with this razor and really have only cut myself once because I was getting a little too confident.
Justin , I can only say thank you for your insight and honesty. It will be acknowledged and put to good use.

So as a beginner you recommend this razor? How was your 1st pass and what did you do to prepare?

I will be the first to admit that I'm definitely still hit and miss with this razor and it wouldn't be anything I would recommend for someone new to wet shaving. I'm having a great experience with this razor in all those easy to shave area's (flat spots) however, my neck is a different story. It seems when I get everything right I get a closer shave than I could ever achieve with my DE89L on my neck...but when I get it wrong I cut myself up pretty good.

I was being extremely cautious on my first pass with this razor due to all the warnings of mutilated facial features so I came out mostly unscathed with the exception going to the neck area again.

I do seem to notice a difference in the shave when I use my Trumpers Rose soap over my Proraso and TOBS Sandalwood cream. For whatever reason the Trumpers seems to leave me with fewer weepers/nicks, maybe it's physiological...

I shaved today with an Astra SP and my R41. BBS, no nicks. I got far more cuts with an EJ89L. I've never had more than a tiny pinprick cut with the new R41.

Most razors I have used over the years I have had BBS shaves, but I have had to work, sometimes pretty hard to get that result, the R41 is less effort to get a BBS, WAY LESS EFFORT.

With all the hype, I now have on order the Muhle R41. Currently my go to razor is the Merkur Vision. I'm anxious to give the R41 a try and see if it can dethrone the Vision or at least earn a rotation spot.

I'll go on record and say that it didn't work for me. I had grand plans of comparing it in a long, comprehensive, thread to a Fasan OC slant and a straight, but that didn't work out, so here are my thoughts on how it played out for me:

The construction and beauty of the razor are really nice. A+ there. It is aggressive, as stated already. Now, I like aggressive razors. I used to belong to the 'as aggressive as possible' club. Still, even with the aggression, I found that I still had to do 3 passes + touch-ups. Given the way my facial hair grows, and its thickness, I have no choice. I also have to shave daily.

It did take off more hair on the first pass than most safety razors (not as much as a straight), but it wasn't as comfortable as either the straight or the Fasan (used several different blades with each of the safeties). It will certainly bite more easily than either a (generic) straight or the Fasan slant.

So, I had to do three+ passes with each razor. The straight was the most comfortable (not surprising, given that I use straights most of the time), the Fasan was next, and the R41 toothcomb was last. The shaves were about equally close from each of these.

It didn't save me time, it didn't give me a closer shave, and it was more finicky to use ------ leading to my conclusion that it wasn't going to take up space in my den.

-------------------

As usual, YMMV.

I will be the first to admit that I'm definitely still hit and miss with this razor and it wouldn't be anything I would recommend for someone new to wet shaving. I'm having a great experience with this razor in all those easy to shave area's (flat spots) however, my neck is a different story. It seems when I get everything right I get a closer shave than I could ever achieve with my DE89L on my neck...but when I get it wrong I cut myself up pretty good.

I was being extremely cautious on my first pass with this razor due to all the warnings of mutilated facial features so I came out mostly unscathed with the exception going to the neck area again.

I do seem to notice a difference in the shave when I use my Trumpers Rose soap over my Proraso and TOBS Sandalwood cream. For whatever reason the Trumpers seems to leave me with fewer weepers/nicks, maybe it's physiological...
So is it for you or just a another razor that you may or may not use daily with the proper pre shaves?
I shaved today with an Astra SP and my R41. BBS, no nicks. I got far more cuts with an EJ89L. I've never had more than a tiny pinprick cut with the new R41.
Thanks for the insight.:wink2:

Most razors I have used over the years I have had BBS shaves, but I have had to work, sometimes pretty hard to get that result, the R41 is less effort to get a BBS, WAY LESS EFFORT.
Thanks KM, this information is really being put to use.
Alex, per your request.
Niceeee. love that handle

I'll go on record and say that it didn't work for me. I had grand plans of comparing it in a long, comprehensive, thread to a Fasan OC slant and a straight, but that didn't work out, so here are my thoughts on how it played out for me:

The construction and beauty of the razor are really nice. A+ there. It is aggressive, as stated already. Now, I like aggressive razors. I used to belong to the 'as aggressive as possible' club. Still, even with the aggression, I found that I still had to do 3 passes + touch-ups. Given the way my facial hair grows, and its thickness, I have no choice. I also have to shave daily.

It did take off more hair on the first pass than most safety razors (not as much as a straight), but it wasn't as comfortable as either the straight or the Fasan (used several different blades with each of the safeties). It will certainly bite more easily than either a (generic) straight or the Fasan slant.

So, I had to do three+ passes with each razor. The straight was the most comfortable (not surprising, given that I use straights most of the time), the Fasan was next, and the R41 toothcomb was last. The shaves were about equally close from each of these.

It didn't save me time, it didn't give me a closer shave, and it was more finicky to use ------ leading to my conclusion that it wasn't going to take up space in my den.

-------------------

As usual, YMMV.

Hey Major, So you are one of the few that wouldn't keep it...maybe you should reconsider til you adjust?

Let me add my voice to the chorus. The R41 has been a game-changer for me -- an amazing shaving tool. I still enjoy my Old Types and Micromatic OCs, but I keep going back to the R41.

I only wish it came in a gold finish.

Cal, any more technique insight on your behalf?

Alex

Once you have found the right angle for you it is a pleasure to use. I was beginning to find that using my vintage razors was a walk in the park. This razor makes you remember the basics!

Charles

Top Bottom