What's new

Mike's Natural Soap

I, too, give Mikes the edge. Feel like I get a little better protection. That being said, I enjoy MWF and even enjoy the scent.

I soak my brush in hot water for about one to two minutes and I immediately place my brush on the soap and start "swirling" the brush vigorously for about 5 minutes.
WARHAWK

Wow, 5 minutes to load the brush or is that the total time to make a usable lather??

Wow, 5 minutes to load the brush or is that the total time to make a usable lather??
Maybe more like less than 4-5 minutes total to load brush and make yogurt like lather. I don't own a scuttle (yet) and this soap lathers like yogurt.

WARHAWK

Mike's Soap is currently my go to soap. I get great lather, easily enough for three passes. I do think that I use a little more water with Mike's then I thought I would.

Sadly, not that I've found.

My girlfriend bought me some bath soap from the farmer's market in Portland the other day that was Lemon and Rose... and I'm now in love. Been trying to find someone who makes it since.
I'm starting a new thread where I will entreat artisan soapmakers to produce a lemon rose scented soap. B&B members unite!

While YMMV, I wouldn't say Mikes and MWF are in the same league. Mikes is a fantastic soap among many that Ive tried.

MWF, on the other hand, has been relegated to pre-shave duty, aka, un-fit for shaving

I used to feel this way about the fat, but finally got it right using the right brush and right method. It pains me to admit it, but I'm getting great lather from it. Mikes' is still better. So is Canali. But I'm getting very close.

The real difference in Mikes is the post shave skin care. Those oils treat the skin right. Loads of blade protection too -- even against a Cobra with feathers.

I'm starting a new thread where I will entreat artisan soapmakers to produce a lemon rose scented soap. B&B members unite!

No public entreaties necessary. Contact Matthew at QCS and tell him what you want. He does bespoke soaps all the time.

While YMMV, I wouldn't say Mikes and MWF are in the same league. Mikes is a fantastic soap among many that Ive tried.

MWF, on the other hand, has been relegated to pre-shave duty, aka, un-fit for shaving

I had trouble with MWF when I first started out, so I got rid of it and didn't give it much of a thought. I got some again recently through the Never-Ending PIF thread, and haven't had any problems with it. Lathers well, and very skin conditioning. The scent is kinda "meh", but it seems to me to be a good soap (although not as amazing / astounding / fill-in-random-superlative-adjective as some make it out to be). I'm very curious to try Mike's - it's near the top of the January 1 shopping list.

How do you go about the lathering process? I am having some issues creating a lather with my Mike's. Not sure if it is the water or what...

I've had the same issues...I get a decent lather, but the soap dries on my face to fast. Mike is awesome though...excellent CS. I have had such a good experience from Mike that I keep trying his samples hoping that I can get it to work. Scents are excellent.

I had trouble with MWF when I first started out, so I got rid of it and didn't give it much of a thought. I got some again recently through the Never-Ending PIF thread, and haven't had any problems with it. Lathers well, and very skin conditioning. The scent is kinda "meh", but it seems to me to be a good soap (although not as amazing / astounding / fill-in-random-superlative-adjective as some make it out to be). I'm very curious to try Mike's - it's near the top of the January 1 shopping list.

is it considered a sabbatical if I PIF you these soaps? I can't stand that you're not trying them. They kick serious ***.

You guys are killing me here.

Price,

You may have noticed, I'm a HUGE skeptic. Especially of "artisan" soaps. But let me tell you, these are the real deal. I know you're on a sabbatical, but life is too short to not enjoy a good soap.

Price,

You may have noticed, I'm a HUGE skeptic. Especially of "artisan" soaps. But let me tell you, these are the real deal. I know you're on a sabbatical, but life is too short to not enjoy a good soap.
Actually, I have noticed. :wink2:

I have no doubt it is an excellent soap, but I do have a den that's rather well-stocked with excellent soaps (which is why I embarked on this accursed sabbatical in the first place), so I'm not exactly doing without. Don't get me wrong, if one pops up on the Never-Ending thread I would probably snag it, but I am going to try (try!) to stick to not purchasing any until next year.

Actually, I have noticed. :wink2:

I have no doubt it is an excellent soap, but I do have a den that's rather well-stocked with excellent soaps (which is why I embarked on this accursed sabbatical in the first place), so I'm not exactly doing without. Don't get me wrong, if one pops up on the Never-Ending thread I would probably snag it, but I am going to try (try!) to stick to not purchasing any until next year.

Is this the first year on the sabbatical? I feel like you have been on it forever

Or I've been buying WAY too much soap :lol:

Maybe some of both :wink2:

Is this the first year on the sabbatical? I feel like you have been on it forever

Or I've been buying WAY too much soap :lol:

Maybe some of both :wink2:
Yep, first year, although I really didn't buy much last year after about September. It really hasn't been that difficult, but the Never-Ending thread has helped appease the AD a bit, and a couple very generous individuals have gifted me some stuff along the way, too.

Several products have come out this year that I am looking forward to getting my hands on, though. Mike's is pretty high on that list.

Another lover of Mike's soap. I have his Pine/Cedarwood stuff and it smells fantastically woodsy. Lathering is easy for me, and since I'm still learning to lather with hard water, that's saying something...

I've had the same issues...I get a decent lather, but the soap dries on my face to fast. Mike is awesome though...excellent CS. I have had such a good experience from Mike that I keep trying his samples hoping that I can get it to work. Scents are excellent.

If it's drying out on your face, then you need to add some more water. Mike's soaps can be thirsty but work excellently once you find the right ratio.

How do you go about the lathering process? I am having some issues creating a lather with my Mike's. Not sure if it is the water or what...

What type of brush are you using? i have found Mike's Soaps to lather very easily with boar or badger. It is one of the easiest soaps to lather. You can start off with a drier brush and add a little bit of water as you go, or start off with a wetter brush and lather for a while. This works wonderfully while face lathering and bowl lathering as well. Good luck.

Top Bottom