What's new

Mike's Natural Soap

I have a tin of the lime on the way that I hope will show up tomorrow. When it does, I'll report back.

My tin of Mike's lime arrived on Saturday. I would describe the fragrance as strong but not so strong as to be overpowering. It's plenty enough for me and I find it very pleasant indeed. I'm going to enjoy using it very much. I'm now looking forward to delivery of a tin of the cedarwood/orange/black pepper.

More important was the first shave with the lime soap. This was my first-ever experience lathering a tallow-based soap. I had no trouble getting a great creamy lather even with our hard water. All it took was 20-30 seconds of swirling with my Semogue SOC and then a quick face lather. Wonderful stuff!

Personally I dont WANT an overpowered smell. There is a very thin line between a a good solid smell and adding too much EO to a product to the point that it burns the skin.
Mikes Rose & Cedarwood hit that line perfectly. Just enough of a scent to make you want to keep coming back for more.

I like the lime. Mine is not subtle at all - fills the nostrils when lathering. Shaves like a miracle.

I had bought a bar of lime and could hardly smell it . I decided to grate it into a mug and now it smells great . I keep it in a closet , now it's a joy to go into that closet due to the nice smell .

Just a quick update as Mike emailed me that he would like to send me another Lime Shave Soap that he believes has a much stronger scent. I am very appreciative and impressed with the customer service that Mike provides. I had cut the center out of the current Lime shave soap and tested the fragrance, but it was just not there so I do look forward to receiving this soap again. I did go ahead and shave on Sunday with the current one shave soap and despite it having very little fragrance the shave soap performs as good as any that I have tried. It lathers very quickly and is rich and creamy. I lathered up and let it work on my beard for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes which helped to soften the beard and it also allowed the Kokum butter and Lanolin to absorb into my skin and provide great moisturizing benefit. The shave was easy, smooth, close, and comfortable. I recommend others give Mike Natural Shave Soaps a try.

Glad to hear Mike is sending you a new soap, I have received great customer service from him.

+1. Additionally, my Mike's Lime is one of my new favorite soaps. MWF performance (+) with an incredible variety of scents.
FWIW, I consider my puck's strength of scent to be near perfect.

Just out of curiosity I want to know do people here prefer the scent of Mike's Lime or Castle Forbes Lime? I will eventually need a Lime soap/cream in my rotation.

Just out of curiosity I want to know do people here prefer the scent of Mike's Lime or Castle Forbes Lime? I will eventually need a Lime soap/cream in my rotation.

I really don't have an answer for you as Mike is sending me another Lime Shave Soap as there was a lack of fragrance in this batch. It happens and most here are very positive about all his fragrances. I will say that the message board will probably be very quite this weekend as everyone is celebrating Memorial Weekend here in U.S.A. so just wanted to let you know.

I'm still having problems ordering from the website. Just emailed Mike. Anyone else have problems with the site? I can't view my shopping cart so I can't complete my purchase. When I do add something to the cart I'm sent to PayPal, but when I log in there is nothing there to pay for.

EDIT: Good to go, Mike emailed back.

Last edited:
I am no computer person by any means. I did go to his site and went through the steps of ordering with no problem. The only thing that I can suggest is to close your browser then click on Control Panel then click on Network and Internet. You will then see Internet Options and you should see delete browsing history and cookies. Click this and you will see Internet Properties come up and you should see browsing history and cookies click on the delete button and then click OK. Hopefully that will work.
Now I have to get back out to the bbq smoker as I am trying to smoke a brisket, but it is not going so well.

Keep working it for a bit, as you said, because once you unlock its full potential, you'll wonder if you'll ever buy another big name soap.

Have to agree with this. I find that Mike's soaps, like MWF, take a bit more water than other soaps to make a thick lather. Flood the puck with warm water for a minute or two before you load the brush. Then load the brush slowly and for a long time. You should get some of the richest lather you've ever experienced. That's my experience, anyway.

Last edited:
Hope all is well with U and family. I just tried out today 4 the 1st time Mike's Natural Soap (Lemongrass scent). This soap is amazing. It lathered well, gave some good cushion, and it made the razor glide slippery smooth. I shaved both face & dome. The lemongrass scent was very clean and summery.

I also ordered a sample of the barbershop scent and Mike generously gave me a sample of the lavadin scent. Mike provided great customer service and fast delivery. All in all..... I give this shaving soap a big thumbs up. It will definitely be a part of my roatation.

$IMG_20120604_110707.jpg

WARHAWK

Thanks for posting about this, Warhawk. I also just​ received my bar of lemongrass/eucalyptus, and was waiting until I could lather it up to post. Nice work!

How do you go about the lathering process? I am having some issues creating a lather with my Mike's. Not sure if it is the water or what...

How do you go about the lathering process? I am having some issues creating a lather with my Mike's. Not sure if it is the water or what...
I soak my brush in hot water for about one to two minutes and I immediately place my brush on the soap and start "swirling" the brush vigorously for about 5 minutes. I sliced a piece of the Mike's Natural Soap to fit in my shaving mug. I get a pretty good lather considering I don't have a DB scuttle (yet). I'm still lather learning but I'm having fun learning.

WARHAWK

Top Bottom