What's new

Martin de Candre, Savon à raser

Oh yea, I'm bringin' up a dead thread. I just wanted to ask, is this stuff a cream or a soap? In pictures it looks like cottage cheese. I really hate light, fluffy meringue-like creams such as ToBS or eShave, because it's too easy for me to accidentally overload my brush. Seems like a nitpicky question, I know, but I'm curious. I find myself preferring hard soaps more as of late, but I'll make exception for the right cream.

It is a semi-soft soap. It behaves pretty much like a hard soap. You will not have overloading problems.

(As for creams, a good idea is to used a small spoon to scoop out the correct amount.)

Both. It is soft enough to squish a little with your fingers, but hard enough to form into a puck in your bowl of choice. If that makes any sense.

Marco,
Well done! Incredibly worded short essay on what all shaving soaps should be like. It would be fantastic if there were a supplier of this soap in Canada or the US!

I also say that I love the smell. I get soft lavender with a hint of mint in the background. As others have said they don't like the smell, YMMV. My wallet is itching to buy as much at the scent as it is the quality of the product!

It's a magnificent soap. I have used it a few times now since I got back with it and it blows my GFT Limes away. Very economical, I would say half the number of rotations loading the brush against the GFT. Wonderful, subtle fragrance, soothing, creamy lather. It makes me wish I needed to shave twice a day.

Uh, I have a question. Does this soap have a expiry date sticker on it? If not, how many months is the use by after opening?

Uh, I have a question. Does this soap have a expiry date sticker on it? If not, how many months is the use by after opening?

It's soap, not a cream with lots of added water. It won't go bad on you like a cream *might* do under the right circumstances. It won't dry out and get hard, in fact MdC recommend leaving it with the lid off, and only using the lid during transport. Being a true soap, it's shelf life is going to be nearly indefinite, although if you do store it with the lid off, as suggested by MdC, the scent may fade a bit. (I personally leave the lid sitting loosely on the jar just to keep dust off, but allow mositure to evaporate after use. I haven't noticed any decrease in the scent of my scented version.)

It's soap, not a cream with lots of added water. It won't go bad on you like a cream *might* do under the right circumstances. It won't dry out and get hard, in fact MdC recommend leaving it with the lid off, and only using the lid during transport. Being a true soap, it's shelf life is going to be nearly indefinite, although if you do store it with the lid off, as suggested by MdC, the scent may fade a bit. (I personally leave the lid sitting loosely on the jar just to keep dust off, but allow mositure to evaporate after use. I haven't noticed any decrease in the scent of my scented version.)

Uh, I know, but I was shocked to discover that the Pre de Provence shea butter shave soap has a expiry date on it. The Pre de Provence is a french product, so I was wondering if this Martin de Candre might be the same.

Uh, I know, but I was shocked to discover that the Pre de Provence shea butter shave soap has a expiry date on it. The Pre de Provence is a french product, so I was wondering if this Martin de Candre might be the same.

Every soap I have has a expirity date. I just choose to ignore it...

I think it's just regulatory nonsense - much like expiration dates on water.

Ciao Marco. Great review. I have a question, though. I've been disappointed in the past with some brands—even some long standing Italian or French skin care products—now containing synthetic scents, vs natural scents or oils. Also, in the U.S., when a product lists the generic ingredient 'fragrance', it is most certainly a synthetic, and they don't need to mention that. I know things are different in the EU, though...

Is it certain that Martin de Candre is all natural, synthetic free? It would be great to know before I place an expensive order!

Michele

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Ciao Marco. Great review. I have a question, though. I've been disappointed in the past with some brands—even some long standing Italian or French skin care products—now containing synthetic scents, vs natural scents or oils. Also, in the U.S., when a product lists the generic ingredient 'fragrance', it is most certainly a synthetic, and they don't need to mention that. I know things are different in the EU, though...

Is it certain that Martin de Candre is all natural, synthetic free? It would be great to know before I place an expensive order!

Michele

Yes, Sir. Martin de Candre is 100% natural.

Grazie, Marco.

Now to decide on the scent before ordering. Scent is very subjective, but many here place the scented version between 'fresh linen' and a 'harsh, medicinal chemical.' Any impressions?

I also know essential oils can be added not only for scent, but for other beneficial qualities, so this is a mystery maybe best solved with a coin. Or a trip to France.

I bought several items from MdC at the same time, but without paying more for shipping,so my markup per unit was only about 25% instead of double.

Top Bottom