What's new

Aftershave balm (or lotion) matching Martin de Candre Fougère

I'm enjoying Martin de Candre Fougère shaving soap a lot. I'm currently using either no after shave product or a tiny bit of De Vergulde Hand aftershave balm. To my taste, this blends nicely with the fragrance of the soap.
However, I'd really like a balm that does not just 'marry' well with the fragrance of the soap, but that has the same fragrance.
Preferably balm. And readily available in Europe (excluding UK, since that always gives me problems with taxes since they opted for a divorce)

your De Verguide is probably a good choice!
I could only think of Mennen Afta, but not sure if it's sold in EU!

proxy.php

You'll probably not find something that's an exact match because MdC makes their own fragrance from a blend of essential oils. Anything lavender or citrus based will match up fine. I personally use Lotion Opaline splash the most with the soap.

You'll probably not find something that's an exact match because MdC makes their own fragrance from a blend of essential oils. Anything lavender or citrus based will match up fine. I personally use Lotion Opaline splash the most with the soap.
You mean this product?

1703917447388.png

Yes, I have an older bottle of the small type. Just an FYI, the bottle doesn't have a great reducer type stopper, so if you get one, you might want to decant some of the liquid into a separate atomizer bottle. It's much easier to use and not waste that way.

Another one I forgot to mention is Cologne Fougere from Le Pere Lucien. They have a shaving soap and aftershave and I have both of those too. It's definitely not the same as MdC's Fougere, but the scent concept is close enough where you could probably use that aftershave no problem. They also use EOs for scent but like everyone else doing herbal EO fougeres they have their own blend they use.

@cvac
I (finally) just ordered the Opaline. Should arrive before Martin de Candre is on in my rotation. I'll keep you posted.

I received the bottle the other day. But I have a common cold. So to me, it smelled like... nothing.
That's bad. Months of deliberating whether or not to buy, days of waiting it to be delivered and then... having to wait until I can smell again.

So yesterday, I turned to the next soap in my rotation: Martin de Candre Fougère. And I had my first encounter with Lotion Opaline by Les Bénédictines de Chantelle. Well, that's an interesting encounter.

I'll repeat part of my diary here
  • I fully get the suggestion of pairing this Lotion with the Fougère soap. It's fragrance isn't fougère (at least, it doesn't smell like the soap, not even 'almost' or 'a little'). But it has the same background: fresh green herbs. As they state on their website: rosemary, clary sage, melissa, camphor, indian brown.
  • I like the fragrance. Not 'perfume-level-liking' but 'excellent for an ASL that lingers for a few minutes'. And it does. Not much longer either.
  • I see why people would use this lotion which is meant for energizing friction as an ASL. The sanitizing, revitalizing, refreshing and calming qualities of the selected herbs. However, it is a 62% alcohol product and might, for my skin, be more suited for the warm summer days than the dry-skin winter days.
  • Practical thing: the bottle has a large opening. So a few days ago, I cleaned out a small 100ml Tabac asl bottle and filled it with Lotion Opaline. No problem there, except I can't enjoy the view of the nice green product. My own bad, should've chosen a different bottle, right?
So all in all, thanks for the suggestion @cvac

Top Bottom