What's new

Martin de Candre, Savon à raser

Well thanks again Marco!!!!! Dear friend, I should just be sending you my money, for every review I see of yours I seem to be losing it anyway. :001_tongu I just ordered 2 jars of the 1.7g variety. I found shipping was more justifiable on 2 jars instead of 1. $22 shipping with one and $30 for 2. Can't wait for it to arrive now.:thumbup:

Well thanks again Marco!!!!! Dear friend, I should just be sending you my money, for every review I see of yours I seem to be losing it anyway. :001_tongu I just ordered 2 jars of the 1.7g variety. I found shipping was more justifiable on 2 jars instead of 1. $22 shipping with one and $30 for 2. Can't wait for it to arrive now.:thumbup:

Sounds like a great idea!!! But, is there concern of the soap going bad? It's supposed to be a long lasting soap, and if you have other soaps in your rotation (and who doesn't :tongue_sm) two tubs of MdC should last about 6 years.

Don't quote me on two tubs lasting 6 years, I pulled that number out of the air :lol:

First, I also want to chime in on the "Marco, your English is great" bandwagon. Specifically, your writing is probably better than most of the native-English (-only) speakers I know. Hopefully, this says more about your skill than my friends... :001_huh:

Now, that seems very French.
When I was last in Paris, I found the people very friendly. I had no problems at all. Am I alone in this?

If there is a group buy I would certainly be interested. Please let me know!

I'd be interested, also. But I've only heard desire and no indication of who might be interested of being the dear soul on the French side. Has anyone thought of contacting MdC and seeing how a bulk order might affect the cost of shipping? I have no idea, just a thought.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

Justin, my dear friend, thanks a lot for your kind words of appreciation! I hope you will love Martin de Candre as much as I do. This unique French shaving soap is tremendously effective and good! :thumbup1:

First, I also want to chime in on the "Marco, your English is great" bandwagon. Specifically, your writing is probably better than most of the native-English (-only) speakers I know. Hopefully, this says more about your skill than my friends... :001_huh:

Well, what to say... Thank you very much, mate! :001_smile

I was looking for this thread, and found another thread where a shop called French Garden was mentioned. I checked their "contact us" link, and it gave an address in Indiana. Best part, they list the price at $39.50. Per XE, this is equivelent to €26. Since the MdC e-shop sells it for €34/$46 without the shipping from France, this sounds like a bit of a screaming deal. Of course, I don't know what they charge for shipping. I just sent an e-mail, as their website seems to be having a bit of a problem right now.

I'm naturally suspicious of deals that appear too good to be true. I checked and (according to the all-knowing internet) France charges a 20% VAT! Holy Cow! And we complain about taxes here!

French Garden charges like $28 for shipping and handling! Someone said they ship this from France as well. Sorry to burst your bubble. :sad:

R

rum

I was looking for this thread, and found another thread where a shop called French Garden was mentioned.

From that site, it says about Martin de Candre SS:

...this lavender-mint shaving soap makes for the most luxurious shave imaginable. With a bracing mixture of natural essential oils of lavender and mint, and 100% natural ingredients, this soap lathers richly and leaves your skin smooth and hydrated.

I couldn't have put that better myself! Just shaved with it today and face is ultra smooth and feels really conditioned!

OK here's the deal, it may cost $39.50 and $28 shipping that works out to $67.50. If you purchase Aqua di Parma from a local store it is $62 plus tax so normally that works out to be about $67.50. So what is the difference between ordering Martin de Candre from France or buying Aqua di Parma locally? Nothing really but you don't see anyone complaining. Santa Maria is expensive too costing close to $60 with taxes included. So in relationship to other high end shave products it is about the same.

OK here's the deal, it may cost $39.50 and $28 shipping that works out to $67.50. If you purchase Aqua di Parma from a local store it is $62 plus tax so normally that works out to be about $67.50. So what is the difference between ordering Martin de Candre from France or buying Aqua di Parma locally? Nothing really but you don't see anyone complaining. Santa Maria is expensive too costing close to $60 with taxes included. So in relationship to other high end shave products it is about the same.

I agree. I've said it before - 2 pucks of AOS is $52 plus tax. That is 180g of soap. MdC is 170g for $68. Yes it is expensive, but it is in line with other high end products. As mentioned AdP costs about as much and you get less product.

... So in relationship to other high end shave products it is about the same.

... Yes it is expensive, but it is in line with other high end products...

You guys are absolutely right in that it is in line with other high end products. However, AdP and SMN aren't that attractive to me. In fact I can honestly say I am not in the least drawn to these products. MdC is a different story, I've read such great things about the lather and I think I would like the scent as I really enjoy lavender and mint.

I'm going to bite the bullet and get a tub.

... I've read such great things about the lather and I think I would like the scent as I really enjoy lavender and mint.

MdC is so good it makes me reluctant to use my other soaps and creams. That, coming from a guy who normally wouldn't use the same shaving product twice in a row, gotta mean something :)

As for the scent, I absolutely hated it at first, but now that it mellowed out somewhat I love it. If you end up not minding the scent, I think you will thoroughly enjoy this soap, it's an amazing performer. I absolutely don't regret buying two pucks.

You guys are absolutely right in that it is in line with other high end products. However, AdP and SMN aren't that attractive to me. In fact I can honestly say I am not in the least drawn to these products. MdC is a different story, I've read such great things about the lather and I think I would like the scent as I really enjoy lavender and mint.

Trust me when I tell you that it doesn't really smell like lavender and mint. Smells more like tincture of benzoin.

It's a great soap, though, and the lather is amazing. But whatever you do, don't buy it because you like the scent of lavender and mint. :blink:

Top Bottom