What's new

looking to purchase my first Simpson shaving brush!!

Any other suggestions besides Simpson brushes on the $150.00 range will be much appreciated!

Thater 4125/2, 3-band. About $125 (on Amazon). After using boars for pretty much forever I wanted to treat myself to a top-of-the-line badger brush. After trying two different Simpsons (Berkeley and Emperor) and not being all that impressed, then the the Razorock Chubby (a nice brush but a real lather hog) I went for the Thater. It's just a fantastic brush! Luxuriously soft yet plenty of backbone and definitively not a lather hog.

Thater 4125/2, 3-band…..It's just a fantastic brush! Luxuriously soft yet plenty of backbone and definitively not a lather hog.

++1 on the 2band….unbelievably smooth gel like tips on this one. Haven't used mine for a while but it's a top shelf brush.

Also, if it must be a Simpson, try and get a well taken care off M6 …. the limited edition one in faux tortoise shell (or is it horn) and manchurian badger. Beautiful brush and the price second hand would be very reasonable…it was a steal brand new. Superb flow, backbone and softness. A brilliant face lathering tool.

Any other suggestions besides Simpson brushes on the $150.00 range will be much appreciated!
Suggestions on a Simpson brush, used for face lathering, for around $150.00....the conversations begins and ends with a Chubby 2 in Best (of course, others may disagree:001_tongu) I bought mine at Royalshave (no affiliation) for less than $150

With that budget, a Chubby2 in Fine Badger or Synthetic should be within range.

A Simpson Case is to be considered if you want a good travel brush. Again, you have Fine Badger or Synthetic to choose from. Or get both and still have change left over.

And no matter what you order, toss a WeeScot in the basket ... nobody should be without one of these outstanding brushes in their shave den.

I bought a Duke 3 and thought it was a fantastic brush. Shortly after that I picked up a Berkeley. Hardly use the Duke nowadays. I face lather exclusively.

For me and my face, the Colonel X2L and Special Best are two wonderful brushes. Sublime shave experiences !
If I were to have only one brush for the rest of my wet shaving lifetime, it would be the Colonel X2L.

IMG_1736.JPG

Hello again Gents, BiG THANKS for such great recommendations I finally decided to pull the trigger and placed my order from Royal Shave!! The Colonel X2L in best is coming in the mail today or monday!!! I will report back as soonest I receive it!!! Thank you all.!!!

I have a Berkeley 46 and enjoy it. It can whip up a nice lather on my face or in a bowl. It has shed a hair or two but at this point in time it is losing less hair than I am :w00t:

I have a Simpson Duke 3 Best Badger 23/48mm, Simpson Berkeley 46 Best Badger 20/45mm and a Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger 27/50mm

Last edited:
Also a thanks from me. I've been thinking of my first Simpson and have been reading up on this and other posts for 2 days. I probably lather 50% bowl and 50% on my face. I too ordered a Colonel, but from Superior Shave.

:thumbup:
Also a thanks from me. I've been thinking of my first Simpson and have been reading up on this and other posts for 2 days. I probably lather 50% bowl and 50% on my face. I too ordered a Colonel, but from Superior Shave.
Mr. Houston, congrats on your new purchase!! The colonel it's a true classic and very elegant brush, I really love the handle shape. Looks like a good brush for both bowl lathering and face lathering!! I hope you get a good example of the Colenel without any shedding problems!! Very exited to hear your thoughts!! All the best.!! :badger::thumbup:

:shaving:Hello again Gents, I hope you all keep doing well!!! Finally my Colonel X2L arrived today.!! All I can say is What a gorgeous brush. :001_tt1: Very excited to shave with it. :badger:I will report back tomorrow!! :thumbup:
20170306_201928.jpg
20170306_202016.jpg

Top Bottom