What's new

Is assembling your own brush a good idea?

So I want a new brush and I love Simpsons. I have made a different post about this before, asking if Simpsons Duke 3 worth it. I am still not really sure about the price cus Its literally the name you are paying for not the brush. And after seeing those OUMO knots I thought of creating a monstrosity by getting the OUMO Lotustip Manchuria SHD 30mm knot and Goldennib Chubby 30mm Handle.

It can sound ridiculous but can you even get a performance anything close to like Simpsons Chubby 3 Manchurian?

Sure you can get a great performing brush by piecing it together and I think you'd be quite happy. Maybe it's just as good from a performance perspective. Maybe it's better. Who knows?

But your post makes it sound like you really want that Simpson. I don't know your finances, but I think you would treasure that Simpson in a way that you wouldn't with the other option - even if the performance is awesome. I think you would still lust after the Simpson. Whether it's logical or not, there is actual value in the way we perceive the tools we use and I think you should factor that in. Bang for the buck performance, the answer is almost never the name brand. But for pure enjoyment, provenance often matters more than we'd like to admit.

My two cents, building brushes can be fun if you are interested in building brushes. I’ve dabbled with a couple that have turned out rather well. I’m glad I tried it, but do not care to continue myself. I’ve seen others dive in deep and truly enjoy it. If you really want a Simpson brush, I recommend watching BST and the Simpson website for deals. Since you mentioned The Golden Nib, I have a couple of their 24mm finest brushes that I really enjoy for an inexpensive badger.

I’ve had a Wee Scot as my only Simpson. I don’t buy intro the Simpson mystique, or.. fan boy over them. They’re just fine. That’s me. If you do, or need to find out.. do you.

I found my uncle’s old travel brush with a falling apart boar. Drilled it out, cleaned up and repainted the handle, threw in a TGN 18mm silvertip and it punches way above its weight. And I did that. It performs on par with my Omega 599 that cost twice the TGN knot, silicone (to test loft setting), and epoxy to fix it.

It always feels good to build something useful with your own hands. Referbing a familial heirloom and continuing its usefulness? Also rewarding. New skillset? Very cool.

New hobby or business, turning my own handles? Tying my own knots? Nah… I’m not going that deep. But I would rehab a cool to me handle if I wanted and found one.

Picking out the components I specifically like and assembling it to my specs, then using it? Yeah, I’d absolutely do that again. It’s really quite easy.

You only live once. Push your limits and perceived boundaries and surprise yourself every once in a while. It feels good. Pointing to a thing and saying “I did that” feels good.

And in the best and most honored B&B tradition… do both things at once, then have a lather off with lots of pics/videos/discussion about it 🤣

I have assemble many brushes and I enjoy doing it as well as the results. Here are a few things to be aware of. Frequently you need to open up the hole in the handle to accommodate the knot so it is wise to have a Dremel drum sander handy. Often you may want to space the knot higher so you may need some sort of spacer. Dollar coins work in a 30mm handle but some frown on using them because if you ever want to reknot it sometime in the future the person removing the knot may have trouble from damaging their cutting tools. Plastic washers would be safer. Even cutting off a bit of a wine cork works well enough. If you think you may want to experiment with different loft settings, use silicon to bond the knot to the handle since it is easy to remove the knot. Once you find the magic loft, you can use epoxy for the final setting if you want a more permanent bond.

I'm not into Simpson. I have found nicer knots in lots of places. Keep in mind that if you are after something that resembles a Chubby, you will want to bury the knot deep in the handle so you might want to drill it deeper.

Lastly, the 30mm handle I prefer is a Whipped Dog Tall. They have an option for deeper drilled handles as well. Use whatever you like though, but I think the ones I have seen at The Golden Nib are too stubby. To each their own though.

So I want a new brush and I love Simpsons. I have made a different post about this before, asking if Simpsons Duke 3 worth it. I am still not really sure about the price cus Its literally the name you are paying for not the brush. And after seeing those OUMO knots I thought of creating a monstrosity by getting the OUMO Lotustip Manchuria SHD 30mm knot and Goldennib Chubby 30mm Handle.

It can sound ridiculous but can you even get a performance anything close to like Simpsons Chubby 3 Manchurian?
As a former Simpsons brush owner, it's my opinion that you pay for the name. Obviously the hand made aspect also drives prices up. Imho Simpson brushes are not worth the asking price but YMMV.

To follow up on my last post, I think building your own brush is a great idea. Just source an interesting handle. High quality knots are easy to find and don't have to be expensive. If you want a synthetic, I'm fairly sure you can even build a great one for hardly any costs.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
So I want a new brush and I love Simpsons. I have made a different post about this before, asking if Simpsons Duke 3 worth it. I am still not really sure about the price cus Its literally the name you are paying for not the brush.

Let's take a moment to cogitate on the derivation of "the name" you are paying for. Any product with such a name has a sterling reputation from years of experience and many, many satisfied customers . If you can bypass all those years of building expertise and crank out brushes of the same quality for considerably less money I see an excellent business opportunity staring you in the face.

On the other hand, if you want to jump into brush building as a hobby you should definitely go for it. I have, unfortunately, reached an age where I no longer wish to produce mediocrity - or less - with my first attempts at a new hobby of any kind. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and my ego has had all the battering it requires, thank you. But I still play golf, so I endorse hobbies and learning new things. I'm assuming you already have a lathe and the commensurate skills that go with that tool, but if no they can be learned.

As a former Simpsons brush owner, it's my opinion that you pay for the name. Obviously the hand made aspect also drives prices up. Imho Simpson brushes are not worth the asking price but YMMV.
As well as assumbed fair working conditions, fair wages, resale value.

With regards to building your own brush, I would opt for the route of getting the brush maker to assemble. They will be able to size the knot properly, set it better using property adhesives, not have glue everywhere etc. They are brush makers for a reason. Many online vendors will set it for free if you purchase both the knot and handle. The other route is someone like RV who you contact and work out the details and he makes to to your liking, while offering his insight to what would be best for you.

If you do it yourself, and it's your first, there is a high chance it won't turn out perfect.

None of the above options will be a Simpson. Same goes for a Paladin or Shavemac. If someone truly wants one of those, none will be a substitute for that desire.

None of the above options will be a Simpson. Same goes for a Paladin or Shavemac. If someone truly wants one of those, none will be a substitute for that desire.
Very much true! If OP desires a Simpson, nothing else will please him. If it were my money though, I'd go for a Shavemac 100%. Also handmade but a far nicer product imho.

The Simpson brushes I once had, all new from Man, have always looked 'sloppy' compared to Shavemac. Slightly tilted knots that could not be unseen once I had noticed it. And also glue traces at the base of the bristles (!). I expect a lot more for the asking price. But it ain't my money and YMMV and all..

I found assembling a brush and knot to be relatively easy once I had all of the components (handle, knot sized for the handle, silicone adhesive, nylon washers to fill the space between the knot bottom and the bottom of the inset on top of the handle). I like the flexibility and customization of buying a handle I like, a knot I like or want to experiment with, and then putting it together (and you can lather with just the knot to get an idea of what it will feel like in general if set very shallowly).

I was warned that, once you make 1 brush, you make more. So far that is proving to be true, as I've made a 2nd and am planning #3 and possibly #4. Caveat emptor!

Good luck!

I found assembling a brush and knot to be relatively easy once I had all of the components (handle, knot sized for the handle, silicone adhesive, nylon washers to fill the space between the knot bottom and the bottom of the inset on top of the handle). I like the flexibility and customization of buying a handle I like, a knot I like or want to experiment with, and then putting it together (and you can lather with just the knot to get an idea of what it will feel like in general if set very shallowly).

I was warned that, once you make 1 brush, you make more. So far that is proving to be true, as I've made a 2nd and am planning #3 and possibly #4. Caveat emptor!

Good luck!

Welcome to the addiction!

Making your own 30mm brush is a great idea. Go for it.

I have three 30mm self assembled brushes each with a different type of badger hair. Love them unequivocally. The control you have in fine-tuning the characteristic of each brush is incomparable.

One caveat about the Uomo Lotustip is that it is heavily gelled. I personally recommend avoiding knots with heavy treatment, unless, you specifically are seeking for them.

I have that handle from the Goldennib for a 30mm, it's a nice looking handle but a little too short. If you like overloading your brush with soap as I do, you'll get a good amount of lather on your fingers: Goldennib.
I prefer this style : Boti
Or this one: Boti

My first. Completely independent work. I really like making knots, and how to invent handles for knots.

Attachments

• 17084494658304247334698178805671.jpg
    17084494658304247334698178805671.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 21
so here's my travelers. the black and clear one is my uncle's I mentioned up thread, with an Omega 599, and a 40033. I had the mixed midget that I broke the handle on drilling it out to put in a silvertip. so I got the 599. it's got a more ergonomic handle for me, but the Ever Ready 150L Lucite of my uncle's? because I set the loft to my tastes, the knot has the perfect for me backbone. the 599 is softer and splays more with little effort, and is basically incapable of Badger scrubbing. . if that Ever Ready was more comfortable in hand, it'd be perfection and I wouldn't have bought the 599. that's what you get when you make/assemble your own. the right grade and size of knot you prefer at a price point you can live with, set to just right for you vs pretty close and I love/like it well enough.

IMG_7409.jpeg

Top Bottom