What's new

How is the splay on small Simpson brushes?

What I mean by splay is when you push the brush against your face and massage the lather to your face. So I currently have a Yaqi synthetic and its impossible to lather that way you can just paint the lather and not massage it like i said and I am probably gonna buy a Simpsons Special S1 Best Badger brush, I know its very small but all the reviews says its great and its a Simpsons after all. If its not worth buying, i would appreciate recommendations for nice badger brushes that splay nicely and massage my face smoothly. My budget is max $50.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have the Special in pure, best, and sovereign, and the Case and Berkeley 46 in pure and best. If you are thinking of splay as opening up, so you are using the inside edge of the bristles, then I would say no. These little brushes scrub and massage with the tips, without the need for it to be mashed on your face and opened up (or at least, mine do). Obviously you can ram these into your face to splay the knot, but you don't need to, in order to get them to swirl effectively. (I tend to scrub back and forth most of the time though)

I will say that all this brushes I mentioned have evolved from their first use. The feeling of density has increased. I'd consider the mass as more of a scrubby sponge, than a paintbrush. That said, they do paint well too, but again, you don't have to get them to lean over to do it. Well, actually sweeping might be a more fitting description than painting.

I would definitely recommend you give one a go. The Vulfix 2190 seems like another brush in that same league (I have the "Piccadilly" version, which was released as part of the London Series brushes, but it seems to be the same thing with a different logo)

While I cannot comment on the Special S1 since I have never owned/used one, I can tell you that my Commodore X1 is a wonderful little brush. Natural splay, like its bigger brother (or sister) X2. Mine is in Best and it does have a bit of a scritch.

Travel shaving brushes1.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Here are the brushes I mentioned earlier, along with the Beaufort B1 and B2, both in pure.

20240119_145910.jpg

The Beauforts fall into a splay more easily, as they are a little loftier compared to their knot diameter, but they are not as firm a brush. Nor do they scrub or "massage" the lather in as well. The best way I can describe it, is that the Beaufort bristles move around the stubble well, but the others (NOT including my Wee Scot, which is utterly spineless), actually feel like they're moving the stubble itself around. While that might not be entirely accurate, I hope that paints a fair distinction between the two as I see them.

That said, they all (apart from Floppy Scotty) make tremendous lather, and get it everywhere it needs to be.

Please note: I have a particularly soft example of the Wee Scot, which does not seem to correlate with many other people's examples.

Build a 2 band fan at Maggard's.
Excellent suggestions. Buy the kit, knot+handle+adhesive. Mounting the knot is super easy and you can play with different heights before setting it with the silicon.
I have three SHD Fan knots, two 30mm and one 28mm that I purchased for my son. They are the brushes that I enjoy the most. I like the three band Silvetip as well, a lot.
I cannot recommend the SHD Bulb instead, since the one I have has too much backbone and it is harder to splay, probably you would not like it. Similar to the Shavemac Silvertip D01.
I have a 2 Band Badger as well. It's not described as high density but it is actually a big mass of hair, very comparable to a Simpson Chubby 3 Super Badger, but with more backbone, not floppy as the Simpson. It splays well however.

My Berkeley feels bigger on my face than most of my boars. My chubby 1 even more.

With badgers, I wouldn’t want to go any bigger than that.

A badger knot of the same diameter and loft will generally feel bigger than a synthetic knot, because it splays more readily. 3-band badger hair (like Simpsons Super or Best grades) spays with more gentle pressure than 2-band hair, though which feel you prefer is entirely personal.

My favorite badger brush is the Simpson Commodore x2 best.

The splay is natural and wonderful, despite the fairly dense knot.

Lather flow-through is also excellent.
It's a 22mm knot which I find plenty big on the face. It easily holds enough lather for my 4 pass shave.

Here are the brushes I mentioned earlier, along with the Beaufort B1 and B2, both in pure.

View attachment 1783266

The Beauforts fall into a splay more easily, as they are a little loftier compared to their knot diameter, but they are not as firm a brush. Nor do they scrub or "massage" the lather in as well. The best way I can describe it, is that the Beaufort bristles move around the stubble well, but the others (NOT including my Wee Scot, which is utterly spineless), actually feel like they're moving the stubble itself around. While that might not be entirely accurate, I hope that paints a fair distinction between the two as I see them.

That said, they all (apart from Floppy Scotty) make tremendous lather, and get it everywhere it needs to be.

Please note: I have a particularly soft example of the Wee Scot, which does not seem to correlate with many other people's examples.

LOVELY line-up!! Congratulations!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

I face-lather using ‘painting’ motions and prefer smaller/mid-sized brushes. And I enjoy my Simpsons!!

So, yes you should give at least one of them a try IMHO.:a29::a29:

I saw the SHD knots, they look very good although they want 60 bucks for just the knot.
Those are the 26mm knots. The 24mm SHD knots are at about $40.

You can also take a look at the pre mounted brushes with the 24mm two band knots, $29.95: Shaving Brushes & Brush Knots - https://maggardrazors.com/collections/brushes-knots?sort=price-descending&pf_t_hair_type=hair%3ABadger&pf_v_brand=Maggard+Razors&pf_t_handle_type=handle%3AResin%2FPlastic

The Simpson Special S1 Best Badger that you are considering has a 18mm knot.

Those are the 26mm knots. The 24mm SHD knots are at about $40.

You can also take a look at the pre mounted brushes with the 24mm two band knots, $29.95: Shaving Brushes & Brush Knots - https://maggardrazors.com/collections/brushes-knots?sort=price-descending&pf_t_hair_type=hair%3ABadger&pf_v_brand=Maggard+Razors&pf_t_handle_type=handle%3AResin%2FPlastic

The Simpson Special S1 Best Badger that you are considering has a 18mm knot.
Think I changed my mind about the small Simpson, maybe if I increase my budget a little ill buy the SHD 26mm and a nice handle. My dream brush is the Simpsons Chubby which is impossible for me right now but people say this SHDs are very premium feel with the fraction of the money but idk if it comes close to Chubby.

Think I changed my mind about the small Simpson, maybe if I increase my budget a little ill buy the SHD 26mm and a nice handle. My dream brush is the Simpsons Chubby which is impossible for me right now but people say this SHDs are very premium feel with the fraction of the money but idk if it comes close to Chubby.
I purchased several different handles from other sources because Maggard does not offer any for the 30mm knots. The only one I have from Maggard was for the 28mm knot. A little taller than what I usually prefer, but I think it is a nice looking handle and very ergonomic.

If you get an SHD knot get a 22 and max the loft. It will splay and still have enough backbone.

Top Bottom