What's new

looking to purchase my first Simpson shaving brush!!

Hello Gents, I hope you all well!! I'm looking to buy my first Simpson shaving brush and I will love to hear your thoughts!! I do face lathering exclusively and my 3 option are Simpson duke 3, colonel or Simpson 57.??? Thank you so much in advance!!

I don't have Simpson. Just wanted to wish you well with your purchase ad hope you enjoy the brush. Plenty of others here who can provide direct input.

Duke 3 for face lathering exclusively with soap or cream. 57 if both bowl and face lathering and the Colonel for bowl lathering creams. These are my preferences. The Duke 3 is just a great all around brush.

With two consecutive best badger Duke 3's shedding, I am less enthusiastic. My best advice - but from a reputable and accessible dealer in case a return is required!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greetings Gents, thank you all for the good wishes and suggestions!! Looks like the Duke 3 in best badger is the way to go but I have to admitted.. All the comments about Simpson's shedding problems I have heard make me think twice to purchase one

I have a Duke 3 in Best that has been in service for over 10 years. It does not and never has shed. Love it for face lathering.

You know, I have a Simpson Special in pure badger. It has never lost a single hair. Not one. And it is the cheapest brush they make. Twenty five bucks.
It is a bit of a crapshoot. Hence the advice to buy from a good dealer, so if you have an issue, there is someone in your corner.

Enjoy your new brush!

The Colonel X2L has been often referred to as the BEST singular all purpose brush on the market. I have had one for quite a few years and tend to agree with that assessment. It may have lost maybe one or two hairs when new, but that was all. Great brush, especially for the price.

All the comments about Simpson's shedding problems I have heard make me think twice to purchase one
I've got 5 in my herd, 2 old Somerset production, and 3 Isle of Man. I've had at least that many more that I sold along the way. Never a shedder among them. I have heard, years ago, of a period during the Somerset years, when there were some shedding problems, but that was attributed to a new employee, and was sorted out shortly thereafter. That is AFAIK. Good luck with the hunt.

Elite razor's Manchurian White. Great backbone very soft tips with zero scritch. Fantastic face latherer. I prefer it to my Thater, Simpson and Shavemacs.

FWIW, I have had a Simpson Persian Jar 2 in best badger for two years and it has never shed. I have also read about simpson brushes shedding so I guess it's a bit of a crap shoot.

With two consecutive best badger Duke 3's shedding, I am less enthusiastic. My best advice - but from a reputable and accessible dealer in case a return is required!
om the Simpson

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll second that thought. I tried three Colonels over the course of a year. I used the credit from the Simpson toward a Semogue Owners Club badger. The SOC hasn't shed one hair.

For face lathering I say Duke 3. Now I have heard the older batches of Simpson brushes were shedders I personally haven't had that issue since I purchased mine directly from Simpson about 7 months ago.

I am a big Simpsons fan! They offer a ton of top-notch options IMO!

Since you asked for advice: my preference is (generally) Simpsons best. I face lather hard soaps and prefer small to mid sized brushes (21-24 mm knots, roughly). Of the options you list, my personal preference is the 57 which is one my current favorites (along with a Duke 2, Chubby 1 and Classic 2).

'The Colonel' is my favorite brush in my collection. I love it with soaps and cremes. I rotate through my others, but always come back to The Colonel.

I've been looking at them as well, Shoebox Shave Shop has far the lowest prices I've EVER seen on them right now, slightly limited selecting though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I'll also note they have an Omega series I'd never seen, the Lucretia Borgia series, that looks very nice to me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Top Bottom