What's new

Help me pick a synthetic brush

Hello all,

I'm an individual who's had a very back and forth relationship with traditional wet shaving. I don't find a get a particularly better shave when using a brush and soap compared to my can of proraso white, but I do enjoy the ritual when I have the time (usually just shave before work).

I would like to get a fairly decent synthetic brush without breaking the bank. I usually just do one pass + touchups and always face lather. I've been looking at the Simpsons Trafalgar and apshaveco options (such as synbad and cashmere). I think one reason I usually like the proaso can is I found in the past that using a brush on a second pass (if I decide to do one) felt uncomfortable/irritating (especially on my neck), which is why I'd like something soft. I'm not sure if going to soft would be counter productive for face lathering or not.

I appreciate any suggestions you folks have.

Thank you!

Tavian Go

....on a second pass (if I decide to do one) felt uncomfortable/irritating (especially on my neck), which is why I'd like something soft. I'm not sure if going to soft would be counter productive for face lathering or not.
Boti Mother Lode or similar. Available on Amazon or AliExpress No, it would not be counterproductive, in fact when I use it I do face lathering with hard soaps, no problems. Excellent. Inexpensive.

Hello all,

I'm an individual who's had a very back and forth relationship with traditional wet shaving. I don't find a get a particularly better shave when using a brush and soap compared to my can of proraso white, but I do enjoy the ritual when I have the time (usually just shave before work).

I would like to get a fairly decent synthetic brush without breaking the bank. I usually just do one pass + touchups and always face lather. I've been looking at the Simpsons Trafalgar and apshaveco options (such as synbad and cashmere). I think one reason I usually like the proaso can is I found in the past that using a brush on a second pass (if I decide to do one) felt uncomfortable/irritating (especially on my neck), which is why I'd like something soft. I'm not sure if going to soft would be counter productive for face lathering or not.

Thank you!

Tavian Go
Consider the Razorock plissoft brushes at Italian Barber where there are lots of great options under $15 (less than $10 when on sale). My two go-to brushes are the Razorock plissoft Monster and Big Bruce with 26mm knots (same knot in both) that product lots of great lather with ease and have a nice soft face feel. My Monster is 4 years old and still looks almost like new, Big Bruce is 2 years old and looks like new. Monster was used almost daily for a year and a half. Lots of great reviews here on these brushes.

Lots of different knot sizes to choose from on Italian Barber based on your preferences.

Note my only other brush is a Razorock Blondie (rebranded Zenith 80N) bleached boar brush that I use for my hardest soaps where I want more stiffness like Williams and Mitchell's Wool Fat.

Last edited:
Consider the Razorock plissoft brushes at Italian Barber where there are lots of great options under $15 (less than $10 when on sale). My two go-to brushes are the Razorock plissoft Monster and Big Bruce with 26mm knots (same knot in both) that product lots of great lather with ease and have a nice soft face feel. My Monster is 4 years old and still looks almost like new, Big Bruce is 2 years old and looks like new. Monster was used almost daily for a year and a half. Lots of great reviews here on these brushes.

Lots of different know sizes to choose from on Italian Barber based on your preferences.

Note my only other brush is a Razorock Blondie (rebranded Zenith 80N) bleached boar brush that I use for my hardest soaps where I want more stiffness like Williams and Mitchell's Wool Fat.
The Plisson sythetics are the synthetic brushes that were the first I tried that I finally liked. THE Plissoft ones are the same but much cheaper.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know the Simpson Trafalgar is a very popular brush. Keeping in mind, YMMV, I didn't care for mine at all. It was far too pokey for me. I love a gentle scrub but I think synths do better when they don't try to emulate the feel of natural fibers and are a thing all to themselves. The soft synths are wonderful when that's what you enjoy.

I do realize, this is one man's opinion.... So many people love the Trafalgar brushes in all three sizes, I hesitate to post something negative about them. You might just love one if you get it.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I would suggest either the Omega EVO or the Muhle STF - both very nice synthetics that won't break the bank. The EVO (mine is the first iteration) has considerably more backbone than the Muhle. Both have soft tips. The Muhle splays much easier, if that's important to you.

If you ever want one that will break the bank a Wald is the way to go.

I like my Muhle STF knot, a lot. However I would not recommend it to somebody with VERY sensitive skin like the OP (I have been there). Maybe later, if his skin improves. I would go with a much softer brush, like some of those recommended above. They are much softer, and you do not feel the tips on you skin like it can happen with the STF, depending on how you use it. They are easy to use and lather perfectly.
And I have the factory Muhle STF which has a higher loft than what it is usually recommended on the forum, so I would assume mine is even softer. Obviously he can buy it and try it, it's a beautiful brush and he can alway sell it if he does not like it.

I can only second @Lane101 and @Big_T - if not breaking the bank is one of your criteria the Plissoft series from Razorock are simply the biggest bang for your buck. I absolutely love my RR400 and recently I received the Beehive and Big Bruce - both amazing as well. Soft, smooth, exuberant lather and still decent backbone (without becoming solid). And they dry pretty quickly too.

Enjoy!

Guido

Thank you all for the replies. I should have mentioned that I'm in Canada. It seems some items aren't here for quite the same price as the US. Would this be the razorock in question:

RazoRock BARBER HANDLE Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush - 24mm

Goes currently for $31 cad.

Thank you all for the replies. I should have mentioned that I'm in Canada. It seems some items aren't here for quite the same price as the US. Would this be the razorock in question:

That’s one of several that would fit the bill. I have the xl variety with the rubber set 400 red handle And it’s a nice brush for the money.

Hello all,

Thank you!

Tavian Go

Based on the info provided, the apshave cashmere would be a good choice.

The angel hair from turn-n-shave is the same thing but I'm a fan shape.

Ultra soft on the skin and generates a wonderful lather!

All the Italian Barber prices are in U.S. dollars. So the U.S. $22.99 "RazoRock 400 Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush - Matte Black Handle", if that is the one you are looking at, will be around the $31 Canadian you noted. Exchange rate is .74 Canadian to one U.S. dollar.

The Bruce Handle with the same 24mm knot is $13.99 U.S. and Big Bruce 26mm knot is $15.99 or around $19-$22 Canadian.

Note that Italian Barber runs periodic sales that I took advantage of for my brushes all for under $10 each (U.S. $).

Hope this helps.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
People do tend to rave about the Bruce, Big Bruce, RR 400, etc. They certainly are priced right, like most of Italian Barber's stuff. I often wonder if I'll start to like the ultra soft brushes.... All of mine have the scrub factor I like at the moment.... but these things have a way of changing over time.

Top Bottom