What's new

Fifth Annual "One Blade in February" Challenge

I shave every single day--including weekends. Today was shave 62. I think the key is good beard prep--shower/Proraso Pre, uberlather and good technique. I don't have a super tough beard and I usually do only one pass. The results I'm getting now are not BBS, but acceptable.

Derby (62)

One pass and accepting a shave that is not BBS differs from my shaving and might be a part of the high count. I have tried to do only one pass but I don't feel comfortable with that!

But still, 62 shaves with a Derby, that's definitely impressive :thumbup1:.

Note to self: have to try out Derbys again instead of relying on old memories!

You are right Bosse. Obviously, three days of "one-pass" would be equal (as far as blade wear) to one day of "three-pass" shaving. We have to make a fair comparison. In that light, I would be a little over 20 shaves with the Derby.

You are right Bosse. Obviously, three days of "one-pass" would be equal (as far as blade wear) to one day of "three-pass" shaving. We have to make a fair comparison. In that light, I would be a little over 20 shaves with the Derby.

Indeed. I'm on 32 days with a Gillette Black for a 2.5 pass, strong BBS shave. Re-calibrating to 1 pass shaves (which I don't think is really quite correct - a 2.5 pass shave isn't necessarily 2.5x the damage to the blade), I'd be at around 80 days.

Getting tougher--blade buffing and applying more pressure than with a new blade. I'm needing to do about 2 1/2 passes rather than my usual 1 1/4 to get an acceptable shave.

Derby (69)

Derby (75)

$Derby.jpg

It's that time of year to prepare for the Sixth Annual "One Blade in February" Challenge. I started this five years ago to see if people could use one blade for 28 days. Many have done it.

As usual, I will start a new thread in five days. I will also give away a few Personna 74 blades in exchange for a donation to Sue Moore's fund. I've done it twice with a Personna 74, but also used a Dorco and Derby during the entire month. I'll see how many P74s I have and post them in the BST.

So start thinking about the blade you'll use, and get ready!

It's that time of year to prepare for the Sixth Annual "One Blade in February" Challenge. I started this five years ago to see if people could use one blade for 28 days. Many have done it.

As usual, I will start a new thread in five days. I will also give away a few Personna 74 blades in exchange for a donation to Sue Moore's fund. I've done it twice with a Personna 74, but also used a Dorco and Derby during the entire month. I'll see how many P74s I have and post them in the BST.

So start thinking about the blade you'll use, and get ready!

Darn it... I'm going to miss this one! I'm participating in the blind blade test (thread deleted...). Oh well. I'm with you guys in spirit, as I do 40+ shaves on just about every blade!

For those that discover how long blades actually last during this challenge....come on over to the Excalibur club afterwards! http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/431416-Excalibur-Club-Blade-Longevity-DE-SE-and-Injector

Thanks for running it, Goby!

I'm in with a GEM Stainless Steel PTFE coated blade. I'll be using it in a GEM Junior and a GEM black-handled push button. After seeing how long people take these blades, I'm interested in seeing just how much I can get out of them. I'm a 2 pass, every-other-day shaver. I roughly estimate I'll get 28 passes for the month making my average 1 pass a day. This should be fun :thumbup:

I participated last year with a Gillette Stainless "The Spoiler". I have a Personna Med Prep that I have been going to use so maybe that will be the one. Have to think on this.

I'm definitely in for the challenge - already in the Excalibur club with current progress being 12 shaves on a Sharp Durablade. I'm going to choose a different blade for the challenge, but need to determine which I'll use.

I've been on the fence about doing this. Last year I did it with a P74. This year, if I join you, it will be with a vintage UK Wilkinson.

I spent the last 6 months of '14 testing out all of my Personna blades in various razors and have been enjoying the freedom of using whatever the heck I want this month. I'm not sure if I'm ready to commit to this yet.

Top Bottom