What's new

Fifth Annual "One Blade in February" Challenge

Just did my 34th shave today. I missed a few days since I had to venture north to frozen Ohio for my Mother-in-Law's funeral. To avoid the $25 bag charge each way, I took a cartridge razor. I'm having to do some touch up to get a close shave, but still getting there.

Derby (34)

I'll keep going until it starts leaving stubble. I'm not getting BBS for sure, but am getting acceptable shaves. Impressive for an 8 cent blade. In fairness, I only do 1 and 1/4 passes so that gives me a little edge compared to others. (The right side of my neck needs two passes, perhaps due to the grain of the beard there.) My beard is not super heavy, but at age 57, I certainly don't have peach fuzz.

It is really amazing how long you can make something last if you put your mind to it. My Mother used the same pencil for a year and a half when she was in school. She had a very light hand and sharpened it rarely and then very carefully. She grew up shortly after the depression, during WWII and her family in Norway didn't have much.

Personna 74* (25)

I'm finally done with this blade! Not only did this blade last nearly 6 weeks for me, it provided me with some fantastic shaves. It's easily one of the top blades I've used. The first 3 were a bit harsh, followed by about 20 incredibly close, comfortable shaves, then it dropped off a cliff and gave me two not so great shaves.

Was it worth the price? yeah, for the chance to use one, it's a no brainer. I won't be stocking up on these however. I have several more and may use one once per year until they're gone.

I've taken a small leave of absence from my feather, due to traveling and getting a new EJ that I had to try out. But I am up to shave #68 on my Feather.

I've taken a small leave of absence from my feather, due to traveling and getting a new EJ that I had to try out. But I am up to shave #68 on my Feather.

Excellent! Keep us informed of how it does. My lowly feather is only on shave 32, but still hanging in there! It's currently taking a break while I check out an Gillette Black for a bit.

Looks like I will make it to at least 50. Touch up is required, but I'm still getting acceptable shaves.

Derby (47)

Excellent. If I hadn't screwed up my feather (my fault...strop experimentation) I'd still be in the game with it. I'll see if I can take this Gillette black to 50. It's still awesome at 19.

Excellent. If I hadn't screwed up my feather (my fault...strop experimentation) I'd still be in the game with it. I'll see if I can take this Gillette black to 50. It's still awesome at 19.

Nice going with a Derby. Personally I did not like that blade at all.

A black Gillette might well do 50 shaves. I stopped at 36 for selfish reasons, I'm trying out a Super Iridium now. That is one wicked sharp blade!

Today was #53. Haven't noticed any change in the blade performance since last week. Still decent shaves with some touching up.

I'll see if I can get another week and reach the two month mark.

Derby (53)

Today was #53. Haven't noticed any change in the blade performance since last week. Still decent shaves with some touching up.

I'll see if I can get another week and reach the two month mark.

Derby (53)

For most of us, February has only 28 days. For you, it looks like it has about twice that! In a few days, you will be using your February blade in April. That is beyond my imagination. I could never get more than two or three shaves out of a Derby ...

I feel old age coming on... I don't remember ever shaving with a Derby, although I presumably must have done so!

Because of my formerly problematic skin I have tired a lot of blades during the last seven years and in 2012 I tried 15 kinds according to my notes, when trying to find a replacement for my former go to the Yellow 7 O'clock. Didn't try the Derby then though... I relied on old memories of a not so good blade. Maybe I should try one?

I definitely remember the commotion in about 2008 when the 'good' Derby's were replaced with the 'not-so good' ones!

Last edited:
"The Energizer Bunny"--Still going, sixty one acceptable shaves.

Derby (61)
I was in this challenge to......and remember saying to myself this guy won't last 2 weeks at the most.........but WOW!!............. I forgot you shave every other day right and not on weekends......kind of like me if I remember correctly...............

I shave every single day--including weekends. (I'm fully retired, so every day is the weekend for me.) I got that from my Dad. I did lose a week in March when my Mother-in-law passed away and I had to take a carry-on when flying to the funeral, so I used a cartridge razor for a week. Today was shave 62. I think the key is good beard prep--shower/Proraso Pre, uberlather and good technique. I don't have a super tough beard and I usually do only one pass. The results I'm getting now are not BBS, but acceptable.

Derby (62)

Top Bottom