What's new

Fifth Annual "One Blade in February" Challenge

It's that time of year. Time for the world famous "One Blade in February" Challenge!!!

Last year we again had 20+ participants. In the first year many used the Personna 74 blade. The next three years participants used "mortal" blades, like Derbies, Dorcos, Feathers, and Lions. It shocking how many shaves you can really get out of a blade.

Here are the "rules":

1. "Try" to use one blade for the entire month of February. That means if you want to try a "mortal" blade, like a Derby or a Dorco, and you can get it to last 15 days, feel free to use a new Derby Day 16 and continue.

2. Push your
blade as far as it can go

3. Have fun!

4. There are no rules! (see Rule 3)

This isn't a "contest," so if you want to use some magic gizmo to extend the life of your blade, feel free. I will be cleaning my blade with water each day, then swishing in a jar of rubbing alcohol. Some may hand strop it. Just share your method, shaving hardware and software, and have fun!

Feel free to use injectors or SE's. And if there is a way for you straight razors users to play, feel free (like no honing for a month?)

As usual, I'm going to offer a couple of Personna 74 blades in exchange for a donation to Sue Moore's fund. I'll post it in the BST. They'll be $7.50 each. As always, I don't profit...you'll make the donation directly to Sue's fund and I'll send out the blade to you.

I have a 1943 Schick E3 that I use Personna blades in and I have never tried to get the maximum use out of them. Guess it would be an interesting little experiment.

What do be do once the blade is at the end of its useful life?

Are we posting as we go or just at the end?

In for sure!

Attachments

• $Schick 009.jpg
    $Schick 009.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,008
I'm in!

I'm going to load my Megress with a vintage Wilkinson "Super Sword Edge" blade and see how far she will go.

Justin

I'm in with a #16 Aristocrat and a Gillette Super Stainless. I'll probably try and use up a tub of AOS lavender at the same time.

Iv'e gotten 30+ days with a super stainless (Spoiler)before so it should not be difficult.

Uncle Brian,

Most of us check in every day, and use some format like this:

~~~~~~~~~~~
Shave 1

BLADE: Derby
RAZOR: Muhle R41 (new aggressive model)
SOAP: Czech & Speake 88
BRUSH: Semogue 620
AFTERSHAVE: Anthony ASB

COMMENTS: Great shave. This is Muhle is so aggressive, but I'm starting to like it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want the newbies to know that this is just for fun, and not a contest. You don't have to shave everyday, and you don't have to report everyday.

The most surprising thing that happened the first year was someone with a cheap blade when the distance. I think I went 40 shaves (I kept going after Feb 28) with both a Personna 74 and a Derby.​

As I said in the other thread, I'm in. I'll likely use my 1974 Gillette Super Speed with a Gillette Black. I'll know for certain as the day creeps closer...

Uncle Brian,

Most of us check in every day, and use some format like this:

~~~~~~~~~~~
Shave 1

BLADE: Derby
RAZOR: Muhle R41 (new aggressive model)
SOAP: Czech & Speake 88
BRUSH: Semogue 620
AFTERSHAVE: Anthony ASB

COMMENTS: Great shave. This is Muhle is so aggressive, but I'm starting to like it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want the newbies to know that this is just for fun, and not a contest. You don't have to shave everyday, and you don't have to report everyday.

The most surprising thing that happened the first year was someone with a cheap blade when the distance. I think I went 40 shaves (I kept going after Feb 28) with both a Personna 74 and a Derby.​

Thanks for this Goby!!! I was unsure how to check in as well...

I'm really looking forward to this challenge, I have recruited a couple of other members of the forum that I work with to join as well.

C'mon February 1st!!!

And sure...no one here takes this as a contest, we are just a bunch of guys talking about manly things...ummm having fun...:wink2::wink2::wink2:

Justin

Last edited:
I'm in with a P74. I recently bought these on Ebay and am looking forward to seeing if they live up to the hype. I'll vary the razor I use, but will be using DRHarris soap the whole time, probably Arlington.

I'm already in, but I'm posting in this new thread just to check-in. My blade will be a UK Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade.

I'm in.

I'm going to take the plunge and go with a Derby Extra SS. I'm not a fan, but I love a challenge (and what else am I meant to do with the blinking free Derby's!!!).

I shave approximately every other day so will be aiming for 14-15 shaves in my DE87 with various creams (although I think the Body Shop Maca Root will be most used towards the end as it's so slick compared to others in my rotation).

Looking forward to the challenge. Are we adding anything to our signatures?

What the hey, count me in. I have a Merkur 1906 Classic with SHARP Durablade and Poraso sandalwood soap. I have wondered how long a blade truly could last, now that I'm with a group of gents on the same path, this sounds like it will be fun!

What the hey, count me in. I have a Merkur 1906 Classic with SHARP Durablade and Poraso sandalwood soap. I have wondered how long a blade truly could last, now that I'm with a group of gents on the same path, this sounds like it will be fun!

I think you'll be surprised! I know I was.

I'm in too on this.... sounds like fun. Do we have to use the the
same razor for the whole month or can we vary it? My blade
is going to be the trusty Personna Med.... I believe it can handle this,,,,,,,

John H.

I'm in too on this.... sounds like fun. Do we have to use the the
same razor for the whole month or can we vary it? My blade
is going to be the trusty Personna Med.... I believe it can handle this,,,,,,,

John H.

One blade, many razors. I plan to use as many different razors as I can manage.

I think I am going to use the same razor, my Weber. Love that hunk of steel.
Still undecided as to my blade of choice.
My soaps/creams will be all over the place, as I have a bunch of stuff I haven't tried yet, as well as more on the way.
Aftershave, I always use Pinaud Clubman.

One blade, many razors. I plan to use as many different razors as I can manage.

I like this idea. I may do that too. I think I have enough razors to do this, but I'd have to take advantage of the fact that I have multiples of some types of razors.

Top Bottom