What's new

Test of Blades Made in India

For the last couple of months I have been testing some blades made in India. My impressions are below. Keep in mind that this is based on using two of each blade. I have seen significant variation in blades from the same manufacturer before, so your experience with these blades may be different from mine.

Background: I shave nearly every day with a 3 pass shave. My daily driver for several years now with few exceptions has been the Personna Lab Blue. I typically get 14 shaves per blade. I was getting 21 shaves per blade with a previous 100 pack, but this pack is different. I think the blades are slightly wider than the previous pack, since they feel much more aggressive, and I get closer shaves with any razor than I did before. Whereas I used the Lupo 72 and 95 fairly often before, I don't with this current pack of blades because they feel too aggressive in that razor, and the GC .84 gives close enough shaves whereas before it was not quite as close as I wanted. I face lather pretty much exclusively.

Razors used:

Gillette post war tech (NDC)
Gillette Super Speed (1958, 1965, black handled 1966)
Razorock Gamechanger .84 SB
Razorock Lupo 95 SB
Merkur Progress

Soaps used:

Old AOS tallow (Valobra), Palmolive stick (grated into bowl), RR Santa Maria Del Fiore, Proraso red (cream in tube), Saponificio Varesino (Desert Vetiver), Stirling, Arko stick (sliced up and mashed in a bowl), tallow Tabac, Cella (from a brick)

Blades used, in order of how I rate them (lowest to highest):

Zorrick
Vi John super platinum
VI John super stainless
Gillette 365
Astra

The tests:

I used the blades in my normal rotation of daily 3-pass shaves. All blades were used in multiple razors, though not all blades were used in all of the razors. All blades saw various of the soaps mentioned above.

Summary:

Zorrick – the first blade was dull. It tugged enough that I tossed it before finishing the first shave. The second blade was much better, though it was still not as sharp as I like. It lasted maybe 5 shaves, maybe fewer. In the end I think it is similar to the VI John blades, but not quite as good.

VI-John super platinum – OK sharpness and smoothness, but nothing to write home about – not as sharp as I like. About 5 -7 shaves each.

VI-John super stainless – OK sharpness and smoothness, but nothing to write home about – not as sharp as I like. About 5 -7 shaves each. While these were nearly indistinguishable from the super platinum, I thought the blades I tried were slightly better. Maybe this opinion would change if I used more of each blade.

Gillette 365 – very sharp blade while also being smooth. I can get maybe a dozen shaves out of each blade, maybe more (this was the most I used one). There was noticeably more blade feel with these, so I think they are slightly wider. IT was also the most prone to nicks and weepers. I tried it with all the razors listed, and especially with the Lupo 95 and Progress I could feel my face for hours. The Gillette Tech finally tamed it (the only blade I used in the Tech), but that razor does not give me as close a shave as I like.

Astra – sharp and smooth. These are nice blades, the only one of these I tested that I would buy again. In fact, if I did not already have a significant stash of blades I would stock up with them. I could get at least a dozen shaves from each blade (again, the most I used one of these), maybe more. Good shaves, smooth, comfortable, and clean.

A number of years ago I tried some Russian Astras, and I did not understand the love they were getting on the forum. They were mediocre at best. These Astra made in India are far better, at least the tucks of the two respective blades I have tried.

Last edited:
Astra – sharp and smooth. These are nice blades, the only one of these I tested that I would buy again. In fact, if I did not already have a significant stash of blades I would stock up with them. I could get at least a dozen shaves from each blade (again, the most I used one of these), maybe more. Good shaves, smooth, comfortable, and clean.
By some accounts (it's not unanimous - some members here think they perform the same), the Indian Astras are sharper than the Russians.

I'd be interested in your opinion of the Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp when or if you try them. I recently bought a large lot of them.

these are the Indian blades I have at home:
Gillette 7 o'clock super platinum (black), Gillette Wilkinson Sword, Winner Platinum, Gillette 365, Gillette 7 o'clock permasharp (green) (watch out, there is a russian made 7oc green too)
The Gillette 365 is not bad, but I prefer the others over it.
The GWS works best in aggressive razors, it is not sharp at all, but very smooth. (2 and out for me, the rest I use my usual 3 times). From the rest, none of them are even close to a feather in sharpness, but they are all quite smooth, and I have found which works best with my razors. I.e. the 7oc black with the Lupo 95 SB.

do you have any news on new blades produced in India called Starmaxx?
I saw that there are new things on the razorbladesclub site

Well be happy you live in 2024, so many blade choice to try.

I am lucky Beard is not thick like in my youth, few blades I have tried are not working For me okay.

Color me lucky.

This is the website of the manufacturer Starmaxx

on razorblades it is written that they are blades produced in India
That Starmaxx packaging looks a lot like the Euromax razor blades, which are also produced in India. I wonder if they are the same company.

I thought so too when I read the link it's written about the United Arab Emirates.
Looking at the razorbladesclub website of the new Starmaxx there are two platinum variants.
India remains one of the world's leading producers of double-edged razor blades.

Top Bottom